• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Guides

23 posts in this topic

How many here have a set of CGC Grading Guides ? This is an Inexpensive set of books to help in grading books for either myself, or an assistant ( wife or daughter)

I have assembled one over the last year or so. Most of mine came from Last summer when Chuck (Mile High) was desparate to get funds for his 65,000 wherehouse/Comic Store.

I think it took 3 transactions with better discounts WHERE HE INCLUDED CGC books and maybe even Dallas Stevens books.

I'll post my set soon. I think the average price was under $30 a book including shipping and at least half a dozen freebies each order.

Here is the first batch free off the scanner. This is the first scaned item since switchig to this machine about a year ago.

I have everything excpet a 10.0, 9.9 and 2.0 or under.

98BatmanOutsidersAnnual1.jpg

9.8 Back

98Back.jpg

9.6 Mile High II

96FantasticFour221MHII.jpg

9.6 Back

96Back.jpg

9.4 The only one of this first batch NOT from Mile High ( also the ONLY WAY i am going to own an ACTION #1

94Action1Safeguard.jpg

9.4 Back

94Back.jpg

next three. My wife was out and I got several hours in the house alone to play with my comic and other collectables.

9.2 Another Mile High II

92SuperboyTheLSH226MHII.jpg

9.2 Back

92Back.jpg

90StarTrek47.jpg

9.0 Back

90Back.jpg

85Daredevil182.jpg

8.5 Back

85Back.jpg

He's talking about having one of each grade of CGC graded comics. A comic in 9.8, a comic in 9.6, etc.

Actually he is talking about having cgc comics of every grade to compare to his raws so he knows what grade his raws are. I don't think it's really a good idea. I have seen a 9.4 with 10 spine ticks and a 9.2 with viturally none and nothing else.

I think that's what he's saying

unfortunately the scanner is not sized forr a CGC graded book. Wish there was an easy way to make the scans look better Just thought I got a really good deal overall form MILE HIGH last year.

I tried to get the oldest book of each grade with a preference for something special about the book, and DC over marvel.

8.0 and a Dallas Stephes to boot. Almost, but not quite in my FOUR COLOR wheelhouese

80OperationBikini1DallasStephens.jpg

8.0 back

80BackDallasStephens.jpg

75HIghSchoolConfidential11.jpg

7.5 back

75Back.jpg

70FunnyStuff3GLOD.jpg

7.0 Back

70BackGLOD.jpg

last three. I remember reading about several others who had done this, but the thread was a few years ago.

I cleaned out a good section of Mile High"s CGC books. Last time I checked they had not even updated the site to take these off the list and I bought them over a year ago.

left out the 5.0 earlier

50StrangeTales133.jpg

5.0 Back

50Back.jpg

30StrangeWorlds5.jpg

3.0 Back

30Back.jpg

25FantasticFour30.jpg

2.5 back

25Back.jpg

It's not a bad idea, to get the feel for CGC's standards. I bought a couple lower grade GA books for a similar purpose. I see how it could be useful for teaching as well. You do not however want to compare a raw modern book to a slabbed Silver Age, or a raw Silver Age to a slabbed modern. The standards get more lax the older the book. This is an understanding I have come to anyhow; perhaps others could back me up or correct me.

There are 26 grades including NG. Ideally you would want a different set for each era, which could run a lot of money. Maybe a better idea is to get the same book in the range of grades, like a cheap 30-cent cover price Marvel. Although I suppose in the lower grades you'd have to find them raw and submit yourself, hoping to get the grade you are missing... I think I just invented a fun game... (Darn! It came back 4.0 and I was hoping for a 3.0!)