• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VERY disappointed in Heritage shipping department

What should CC do?  

279 members have voted

1. 1. What should CC do?

81 posts in this topic

Let me preface this by saying overall, I'm very pleased with my experiences with Heritage Auctions so far. I think they do a great job getting quality merchandise to the market and generally speaking, offer great customer service.

However, I've run into an isolated event (so far) and am seeking the wisdom of the boards as to how I should proceed.

To make a long story short, my account has a "do not ship" hold placed on it. When I win books, they won't ship them until I call in and say ship. This way I can combine multiple wins and lower shipping costs (if you are unaware of this, look into it).

My :signrant: comes from the handling of two separate shipments. Both packages were sent via USPS Express. The first one is EA480439833US and the second one is EA480442963US. Track them if you like.

While tracking the first package, I was told that it was guaranteed by July 13, 2012 by 3:00 PM via the USPS website. Needless to say, I didn't get the package until July 17th. Sadly that's a FAIL by the USPS.

I alerted Heritage on the afternoon of the 13th that the package didn't arrive. I was told that they would research it and get back to me. Of course, that never happened. I called back maybe a week later to complain on the basis of "if I'm going to be charged for a service, I expect the service to perform. Otherwise, I shouldn't have to pay."

After repeated calls, I've been told by the Heritage CSR's that they are not responsible for the USPS shipping speed. That once the package leaves their shipping department, they're no longer responsible. I call major BS on that!

As a seller, it's 100% my responsibility to ensure the package gets there when it's supposed to and in the correct condition. Does this not apply to Heritage? Once they ship (and charge me for Express), are they no longer liable if Express fails??

I'm very annoyed at this as the second package I had sent via Express arrived the very next day. And to be told time and time again that it's not their fault, while this may be technically true since they're not a shipper, just spikes my blood pressure to no end.

The only recourse left I have is to file a chargeback on my credit card as basically I got the FU on my earlier phone call.

What would you do?

You should "at least" be able to get a refund from the USPS site as it was supposed to be "Guaranteed" by July 13th I would think? (shrug)

I guess Heritage "stands" behind the shipping arrival date/time" when they mail out books?

Not sure if there is a clause from Heritage in the tiny fine print that states something like

"not responsible for late arrivals from USPS or ?".

1. I agree its poor Customer Service not to followup on their "investigation" with a callback to you.

2. The person certainly spoke out of turn that they weren't responsible any more once it leaves HA. Between HA and USPS, sure USPS is responsible to deliver, but from the customer perspective the onus is still on HA to deliver, or return funds. If USPS loses the box, its not the customers responsibility to open a case with USPS to find the box, its HAs. Until you have taken receipt of the product HA has not fulfilled its end of the contract.

3. I think you have the right to complain if Express shipping is the only option, when USPS consistently doesn't deliver on their Express dates. That'd be my point of contention with HA.

4. I'm sure in HA's disclaimers they state that they aren't liable for USPS delivery delays (so your chargeback might be claimless). Do they insure their packages against loss/damage?

The first package only says when it was delivered, not when it left Heritage. Sometimes (and it's happened on here to me) people PRINT the postage, but don't actually take it to the mailing place for a few days (say this and think of Seinfeld's bit about knowing how to TAKE a RESERVATION, but not keep it;)

If they printed the postage using a website, it will show the date, but if they don't actually take it to the place where it will get mailed, or have it picked up on time...it's not gonna happen.

You might want to contact the head of shipping and ask if they have a slip showing when it was brought to the PO or picked up.

The correct thing to do is for Heritage to recover the postage from the USPS and then refund the postage you paid. If they conformed to their rules and USPS did not deliver on time, they can get a refund. This may be more trouble than they are willing to go to - it only benefits the buyer, not them, so it is just a sink on their time.

Express Mail® Service Commitments/Guarantees

•Post Office to Addressee (recipient)

•Items are delivered to the addressee (recipient) by 12:00 Noon or 3:00 p.m. the next day, or 12:00 Noon or 3:00 p.m. the second day.

•Next or second day is based on actually mailing the item at the Post Office™ before the Express Mail cutoff time.

•The delivery commitment for an item is stated on your receipt when you mail the item.

Guaranteed service with moneyback if we do not meet our commitment.

•Label 11B, Express Mail PO to Addressee (see image below)

Notes:

•The guaranteed time is the local time at the recipient's address.

•An “Attempted delivery” meets the delivery commitment (i.e. the mailpiece was taken to the address, but the recipient was unavailable to accept the item)

•An “Arrival at Pickup Point” meets the delivery commitment for P.O. Box and Firm Caller addresses (i.e. the mailpiece was available for the caller or P.O. Box holder, but the recipient did not come in to claim the mailpiece)

•A “Forwarded” meets the delivery commitment (i.e. the actual delivery address is different than what is indicated on the label)

Usually when I order comics online I'm so intoxicated that when the package arrives I forgot that I even ordered it.

I am suggesting you try this tactic.

The CGC slab acts as a good surface for you to cut the crack in lines, as well.

Just a comment, in general, about the customer service of Heritage....

I too have experienced a couple incidents to where the CSR basically said 'tough'. It is especially annoying since we are paying a huge BP with Heritage. I just don't get the feeling they want you to be happy. I also don't believe we should run to Steve Borock everytime we have a problem. That is not right. Steve, if you are listening, Heritage is great, you are great, but the CSRs need a little adjusting.

I always felt like USPS tracking was never up to snuff compared to UPS + Fedex.

I have had an item go from New Jersey - > Maryland -> Delaware -> Pennsylvania using USPS. Item should have been there next day but it took a 6 day vacation.

To answer a few ?'s

Was the problem related to drop shipping the parcel to someone that you had already re-sold it to, or getting it in time to satisfy a re-sale customer?

Nope..not at all.

USPS Express I thought was guaranteed delivery. I think your beef is with USPS not Heritage.

How can my beef be with the USPS? I didn't pay them; I paid Heritage.

The first package only says when it was delivered, not when it left Heritage.

You have to click where it says See Details

Thanks, Angelo, but that supports my point, I believe express mail has to be at the PO by 12pm to be the next day. That says it arrived July 12, 2012, 6:25 pm

How could it possibly be delivered on the 13th...

Did you try calling Steve Borock or PM him before starting this thread? hm

Actually I did about 2 weeks ago as more of a heads up to a potential issue I was seeing....but Steve got sick/Beverly Hills auction so he's been busy.

I do happen to agree with Bob that it's not right to run to Steve everytime a small (and this is small by Heritage means) problem arises.

The first package only says when it was delivered, not when it left Heritage.

You have to click where it says See Details

Thanks, Angelo, but that supports my point, I believe express mail has to be at the PO by 12pm to be the next day. That says it arrived July 12, 2012, 6:25 pm

How could it possibly be delivered on the 13th...and I'm sure the "missent" didn't help, lol.

I understand what you're saying Sharon..but Guaranteed By: July 13, 2012, 3:00 PM isn't subjective.

I suspect Heritage ships hundreds of packages a day an they all get picked up at the same time, arrive around the same at the PO and go on their merry way.

While it's rare, the USPS dropped the ball on this one and unfortunately Heritage isn't willing to go to bat for me.