• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Relaunch after Avengers vs X men stop me before I go over the cliff

71 posts in this topic

It's pretty apparent that long term collectors are not the primary target for this. I'd hazard that their reporting is saying that sales picks up for the digital market and the new collector/parent market when the numbering is marketed toward storyline arcs.

Probably why Japanese manga is so popular in Japan. Not that collectible but easily readable and digestible by the public.

I think that is one of the major issues that hampers the collectibility of comics - if publishers don't instill the collecting instinct or desirability in new readers, who will be collecting comics in 20 years?

I think comic collecting is on borrowed time. Sure, there'll always be people who will drop $500k on AF15, just like there will always be people to drop $1m on a T206 Honus Wagner. But, everything in-between will surely suffer and be devalued.

If publishers don't create viable collectibles - who's going to "get into" collecting?

I don't care what number is on the front of it, I wouldn't even waste my time with it for free.

For me, the Marvel Universe ended a long time ago.

I'm still delving into the 15 year gap I have - I'm a little disappointed in things, but I'll take it in stride. I just hope it doesn't get any worse...

Damn, why can't they just go back to 6 titles? That would make things so much easier..

As a purist, I might argue 17. This would then cost me $2.04. hm My, what a different world.

Amazing Spider-Man

Avengers

Daredevil

Fantastic Four

Journey into Mystery

Kid Colt Outlaw

Millie the Model

Modeling with Millie

Patsy and Hedy

Patsy Walker

Rawhide Kid

Sgt. Fury

Strange Tales

Tales of Suspense

Tales to Astonish

Two-Gun Kid

X-Men

I read this and not sure what it means:

"Speaking of AVENGERS VS. X-MEN, did you read the announcement that Marvel Comics is going to start to relaunch all of their titles, beginning in October. It now turns out that AVENGERS VS. X-MEN #1 was a vastly more important book than any of us realized, as we believe it will mark the beginning of the complete renumbering of the Marvel Universe. The 6 new Marvel #1 issues will begin shipping weekly in October with many if not all to follow, starting with Uncanny Avengers #1. We then believe that Marvel Comics will then be stopping all of their existing titles, and replacing them with new #1 issues, sometime between October and early Spring."

I thought this was to be a seperate line not the current continuity like DC52

H E L P :pullhair:

They should just make every issue #1 from here on out. Relaunches every month :idea::facepalm:

Amazing Spider-Man

Spectacular Spider-Man

Uncanny X-Men

X-Men

Avengers

Fantastic Four

Captain America

Iron Man

Thor

Hulk

Daredevil

Wolverine

Deadpool

Punisher

Maybe Silver Surfer Moon Knight, Venom, Sub-Mariner, Fury, Strange, etc.

No more than 2 titles per team or character

No more renumbering

No more variants

No more constant crossovers

No more using popular creators to launch a book and then have them move on to launch the next book after 4 issues

No more constant mini's, one shots, annuals, etc. If it's good enough tell it in the main title.

If they did that i would buy them all.

WTF is Uncanny Avengers???

They retcon every Avenger, who wasn't already a mutant, into a mutant.

They should do that with the whole MU. All characters & villans; everyone with powers is now a mutant.

Thor? Mutant. Hulk? Mutant. Wendigo? Mutant. Ultron-5? Mutant. MODOK? Mutant.

I think we could be on to something here, compadre

The current Daredevil is pretty solid, and Dan Slott's work on ASM has been top notch, too. Other than that, yeah, the current MU is awful.

I absolutely agree.

Daredevil has probably been Marvels most consistent book the last 12-15 years. From Kevin Smith to Bendis to Brubaker to currently Waid, it's been extremely solid (except for Diggles little run inbweteen Brubaker/Waid). I was actually just discussing this with the comic shop owner here last week and he was in agreement.

Slotts work on Spiderman has been decent. I think Aaron's work (namely Punisher) has been amazing.

As for the renumbering, etc. I've come to expect this sort of cash scam so it doesn't even phase me anymore. If they re-number Daredevil (for instance) it will be the 4th time in the last 15 years or so.... I expect 4 more times in the next 15 so really, why even get upset anymore. It's bound to happen..... again and again.

They should do that with the whole MU. All characters & villans; everyone with powers is now a mutant.

lol

Just a renumbering. Not a partial kind of sort half hearted reboot like the New 52 Gimmick.

And not al titles will be renumbered. Marvel recently launched Gambit, Hawkeye & Captain Marvel titles they won't be renumbered so quickly.

:blahblah: Sales guy: Our biggest order drop off is between issue #1 and issue #2

:idea: Marketing guy: What if we never release issue #2?

Sales guy: hm

(one month later)

Press Release: Marvel announce new "1 Shot Only" publishing schedule complete with auto-composting paper that disintegrates after 30 days.

Marvel Editorial: We're taking the idea that every comic book is someones first, and making every comic everyone's first.

Storage Locker Facilities everywhere let out a groan.

Long Box Manufacturers go out of business

End of the world as we know it...

Lesson: Don't let Sales guys talk to Marketing guys and visa versa... and definitely don't implement anything they suggest.

I can't believe people still buy new comics from Marvel. lol

Why? Just because modern Marvel isn't popular with the majority on the CGC boards doesn't mean that there isn't a large amount of collectors/readers out there who still enjoy them. If CGC board members were a representation of the majority of comic buyers then Marvel wouldn't be in business now but obviously there is more to the hobby than can be found here.

I don't really see what the big deal is about renumbering a bunch of books in the Marvel line, nearly all of them have been renumbered at some point already. I got over the renumbering of titles a while back, especially when they've already lost their original numbering and I just base my comic buying on whether I want to read them or not.

The relaunch will probably cause a bit of a temporary boost in overall sales and as always the longer term sales will depend on the quality.

I can't believe people still buy new comics from Marvel. lol

Why? Just because modern Marvel isn't popular with the majority on the CGC boards doesn't mean that there isn't a large amount of collectors/readers out there who still enjoy them. If CGC board members were a representation of the majority of comic buyers then Marvel wouldn't be in business now but obviously there is more to the hobby than can be found here.

Gaz nails it! ^^

Somewhere, Joey Q just bolted upright