• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most valuable comic you have damaged

50 posts in this topic

As a kid, I taped up tears and spine splits in my well-read books. As a collector, I don't allow tape anywhere near my books. I never tape down the flaps on bags and if I buy a book with a taped flap, the first thing I do is remove the tape -- or cut it and rebag the book.

Never seen a need to use tape, given the danger of tape pulls. :preach:

The most valuable comics I've damaged were the ones I ordered from multiple numb-nuts who don't understand how to pack books for shipment. They still lurk here and in every other crevasse of eBay and the mailorder world. :sorry:

2) About 10 years ago I was selling a raw high grade FF 48 on Ebay. I set the comic on a cushion on the couch and went to get my camera in the other room. When I came back I just about had a heart attack when I saw my Great Dane was laying on the couch with the comic underneath him. I shoo'ed him off the couch and what was left was a very low grade FF 48. His first step onto the couch was right into the comic actually shredding the cover.

OUCH

As far as tape pull goes, this one time I had a modern age comic I wanted to look at and I thought if I kinda held the flap back it would be fine, but I wasn't holding it down enough and I felt slight resistance and saw one corner or the tape was touching. It was just a tiny bit and since the tape was new as well as the comic cover was shiny and smooth it unstuck with nothing coming off. Ever since then I completely remove tape from the bag every time now. I'm kinda surprised to hear that many tape pull stories from members here. Unless it happened as a kid or when you were younger in general and not recently.

I have never given a comic more damage than just general wear and tear from reading if that. Only one I ever had the slightest damage on, which I can't remember which comic it was was a really early comic and it had a tiny corner fold on the bottom right of the front cover. I had on rubber gloves and I tried to unfold it and it was so delicate the lil piece tore off. As far as the 4,500 comics I am working on selling here, I have not damaged another one. Knock on wood.

For those who have seen what I have offered and seen the damaged comics, those were ones my dad collected so that damage is on him not me. I saw quite the damaged comics going through them all.

My best friend used to have all the 80s DC war books (GI Combat, Sgt Rock etc) and they would freely move between his house and mine. One day, we decided a fun activity would be to roll the comics into batons, beat each other senseless with them, and when it fell apart grab another and start over. The idea was that we would then make an original comic book by rearranging panels we found in the scraps. 8 or 9 years old. Not expensive books, obviously.

Accidentally?

A comic book here and there as a kid from tape sticking to the back of the book before I knew how to put them away. But nothing too serious.

Intentionally?

Nothing... we did not have much as kids. So anytime we did get an action figure or a comic book or even baseball cards it was a special day and the objects were treated with great care because there was no replacement.

I never blew up a GI Joe figure with fireworks because I knew that the next time I ever got one of those may not be for awhile. I also knew that my mom and dad would be upset because they paid for it and could not afford a lot. Hell, I remember my mom taking me to eat once in awhile and watching me eat while she looked around because she could not afford for both of us to eat.

great story my friend.. well, at least you took care of everything. I took care of everything but my grandmother would give my stuff away. lost alot of great thing when i was a kid. hid alot of my action figures when i started to notice things missing.