• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buyer scamming me on eBay

153 posts in this topic

Oh it's not gone. It's safely in my checking account. It is for this reason I always withdraw funds to my checking account when I receive money.

This may be PayPal's loss but it's not going to be mine. Stay tuned.

This brings up a question I have - if you take the money out of Paypal and put it into your checking account, can Paypal issue a refund by pulling money out of your "backup source" - which is (presumably) your checking account or credit card and give it back to the buyer?

No.

Do they just ask you politely to give the buyer his money back when they rule in his favor on a dispute, then?

See what I added above. I think they just take what is in your paypal account at the time of the ruling up to the disputed amount. I think I had a dispute one time and got $0.00 added to my paypal account. They can then freeze your paypal account.

Correct. Coincidentally I called them up to ask the same question a month ago after hearing on these very boards about someone who sent a package to Turkey and then the buyer claimed no receipt.

Keep your balance at zero. They can't take your money out of your funding accounts. So right now I have a -$65 balance. If someone pays in for another item it will go up but still be negative, until it is zeroed out. You get the picture.

A quick google search shows many forum discussions stating PayPal can and does have permission to withdraw from bank account or credit card. Some have said they were charged overdraft fees from their bank, and PayPal sent creditors after them screwing up their credit score.

Oops

A quick google search shows many forum discussions stating PayPal can and does have permission to withdraw from bank account or credit card. Some have said they were charged overdraft fees from their bank, and PayPal sent creditors after them screwing up their credit score.

Then things have changed, and changed quickly, over the last seven years.

EDIT:

I googled as well and didn't see much beyond what we've already talked about. Do you have a link to any of these forum discussions?

Seems like you'd be able to escalate something like that with your bank. Let them know it was an unlawful or unfounded charge.

A poster wrote this, but it was a few years ago.....

If you have automatic payments for your ebay seller's fees with PayPal they are "authorized" by you to take the money from the bank also and therefore bring your PayPal balance to a positive.

Now this seems more logical.

So after 10 years of no eBay problems here we go.

Can anyone tell me how this is likely to end?

Yes. I can tell you exactly how it is going to end: you will realize that Ebay is not the resource you used to enjoy going to for your selling and buying needs and eventually just stop using them all together.

I had a similiar situation happen to me a few years back. I sold some Mcfarlane Spidey's including #298 and #299 in NM+ for $90. I mailed them out and was too cheap for tracking at the time. The buyer claimed to never have received them (which i am sure they did) ebay called me up to discuss the situation and the lady apologized but said without tracking they have to side with the buyer.

I also usually empty my paypal balance into my checking right away too. As I did this time but that same day ebay/paypal refunded the buyer and my account became negative at paypal. They never took the money from my checking account but I did have to pay it back. Which I did a few weeks later, after a few days with a negative balance they started calling........daily.

I hate to say it but I think you will loose this case. Good luck though.

Thanks for all the advice. I opened a new PayPal account. Old account does not allow removal of funding accounts if you have a negative balance. I do not think they can dig into those accounts, but I could always close the funding accounts.

As for eBay coming to me for the money through seller fee funding account, that is a loophole I hadn't considered. I can always delete that link too after Sunday.

This is total BS for $50. It's the principle though. We'll see what happens.

Is there any foolproof way to prevent this? What if package was really lost, isn't that the courier's responsibility?

Then things have changed, and changed quickly, over the last seven years.

EDIT:

I googled as well and didn't see much beyond what we've already talked about. Do you have a link to any of these forum discussions?

Seems like you'd be able to escalate something like that with your bank. Let them know it was an unlawful or unfounded charge.

LINK

Yahoo Answers

As a buyer, it annoys me when a seller does not use tracking. I don't take advantage of the situation though. I have a feeling the number of people that do jump on the opportunity is increasing more and more through the years.

1) Can't get tracking for "flat packages" in my office mail room they tell me

2) Thought tracking was more expensive & was trying to save buyer money

Yes you're taking a leap of faith. Will be more careful going forward

Thanks for all the advice. I opened a new checking account & new PayPal account with a new email address. I linked that to my eBay account in place of the old PayPal account so at least I will receive money for auction closing Sunday.

Changed eBay seller fee funding account to my credit card. Tried removing email address, credit card and checking account linked to old PayPal account, but it does not let you if you have a negative balance. I do not think they can dig into those accounts, but I could always close the funding accounts.

As for eBay coming to me for the money through seller fee funding account, that is a loophole I hadn't considered. I can always delete that link too after Sunday.

This is total BS for $50. It's the principle though. We'll see what happens.

Is there any foolproof way to prevent this? What if package was really lost, isn't that the courier's responsibility?

What's more, I sold this for family friends that know nothing about comics. Their son died 20 years ago and left a small collection. That is who this loser is trying to rip off.

Did you call Paypal yet and discuss the issue with them?

Yes. First was routed to eBay. They tried to tell me they wouldn't necessarily side with the buyer and to let things play out. When I asked if incoming funds would be available to me even if I had a negative balance, they didn't know the answer. He transferred me to PayPal. PayPal said yes the balance would still be negative if funds came in.

I said if I didn't agree with the hold placed on the funds, that basically makes my PayPal account useless until the situation is resolved. He said he wasn't an expert (wrong department) so he offered to transfer me to the Disputes department. I said okay and hung up because I didn't have time at the moment. Will call them back later.

Why, do you think they'll tell me anything useful?

So how was the item shipped? Could it be a case that the item really didn't reach it's destination yet? If you shipped via media mail it could take up to two weeks.

Did you pay for the shipping at the post office? If so, did you keep the receipt to at least show proof that a package was mailed to the buyer's zip code.

I will say this, as a seller, you have a responsibility to show proof of shipment. That part is on the seller. It stinks to lose money, but it is a risk you take when you don't fulfill obligations on your end. That may sound harsh but how does ebay or paypal know that the item was actually shipped.

:facepalm: yes, they should be able to review the details and I think they should be able to give you specific answers to the questions you have. My experience over the years with disputes is that they have a quick trigger to freeze money but if you call them and provide transaction information they are usually able to help out,'as long as your bases are covered.

I also think you may run a risk of getting all accounts shut down if you leave the account negative, but that's another question to ask them.

Only if you bought insurance. Furthermore, for an item sold on eBay, the seller is responsible for its safe delivery. As such, even if a seller can prove an item was shipped, if it gets lost or damaged in transit, it becomes the seller's problem.