• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Journey into Mystery #98, would be 9.4 but...

23 posts in this topic

A perfect example for the tape pull thread in Comics General. This is a gorgeous book, an easy 9.4, but for an easily overlooked tape pull on the back cover. This would be a 2K book, but with the tape pull...

$300 shipped...

jim98.jpg

The tape pull is by the "H" in "He's Looking for People..."

jim98bc.jpg

A perfect example for the tape pull thread in Comics General. This is a gorgeous book, an easy 9.4, but for an easily overlooked tape pull on the back cover. This would be a 2K book, but with the tape pull...

$300 shipped...

jim98.jpg

The tape pull is by the "H" in "He's Looking for People..."

jim98bc.jpg

:takeit:

Nice book. Didn't know CGC would take so much off for the tape pull.

I'm just curious but if there was a sticker covering the pull damage what would CGC grade it at? (shrug)

Good question. hm

I'm just curious but if there was a sticker covering the pull damage what would CGC grade it at? (shrug)

Good question. hm

I'm curious if it was a production chip, what would CGC grade it at? From what I can see of the tape pull (and it may be larger) the grade given seems pretty harsh.

Good question. hm

I'm curious if it was a production chip, what would CGC grade it at? From what I can see of the tape pull (and it may be larger) the grade given seems pretty harsh.

I thought so, too.

Wow... they hammered that book. I wish all my 7.5's looked like that.

With CGC charging for grader notes and not revealing their grading standards...meh!

I only use them for resto check now. I could care less what a few dudes hiding behind a curtain say the grade is anymore.

With CGC charging for grader notes and not revealing their grading standards...meh!

I only use them for resto check now. I could care less what a few dudes hiding behind a curtain say the grade is anymore.

Then you are spending a lot of money for a resto check. If your statement is true, and not tongue in cheek, you can simply get them evaluated by Matt Nelson on the cheap.

Little more background on this book. This was part of my JIM run. I bought it on the boards about 18-months ago and it was sitting in an old label 7.0 slab. I thought it was gorgeous and did a straight resub, it came back 7.5. So I guess that's pretty consistent as it was graded about 10 years apart and only missed by .5. This book sat unwanted in my sales thread for over a week until Jeff swooped in and grabbed it. (shrug)

Do you have to pay to get the graders' notes on your own books, i.e., books you submit?

Do you have to pay to get the graders' notes on your own books, i.e., books you submit?

Yes.

And I don't submit books to CGC simply for the resto check, that would be silly, I just crack them out for my personal collection.

Yes.

That just seems wrong. (shrug)