• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

possible Spiderman 1 back cover variant?

69 posts in this topic

I bought a Spiderman 1 last night on ebay. It was a universal grade PGX 5.5 (I know... I'm not supposed to buy PGX)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261079354372?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1326

This morning when I was looking at the pics again I noticed that the back cover seems to have the black background variant of the shoe advertisement from that era. Every Spidey 1 I've ever seen has had a blue background on the shoe advertisement.

I know that Marvel published a Black background version of this ad during this era, but I've never seen it on Spidey 1.

Is there a variant back cover to Spidey 1? Does the photo just have bad color? Or did I just get ripped off on the Spidey 1 I just bought?

For comparison here's the back cover of the one I just bought.... and underneath it is the normal back cover.

T2eC16hysE9sy0k0sCBQIdy40Q60_57JPG.jpg

P1040703.jpg

I'm thinking the back scan is for a different book hm

I had that thought, but then I looked at the spine edge of the front and back photos and the "black line" that's on the spine edge seems to match on the 2 photos

I hope you're right :wishluck:

I'm thinking the back scan is for a different book hm

I had that thought, but then I looked at the spine edge of the front and back photos and the "black line" that's on the spine edge seems to match on the 2 photos

I hope you're right :wishluck:

+1 hope it is all above board man

You either found a variant, or that book had resto done and a new back cover was added. :wishluck: or :cry:

There were definitely different ads during that period, but I have no idea if one color was unique to each specific book.

I just glanced at some of my own books and my Avengers #4 has the black version ad. Hopefully yours didn't come from an Avengers book.

We need more people to check their ASM #1's for you to see if there is another example. Check Heritages archives too since they do back cover scans.

You either found a variant, or that book had resto done and a new back cover was added. :wishluck: or :cry:

There were definitely different ads during that period, but I have no idea if one color was unique to each specific book.

I just glanced at some of my own books and my Avengers #4 has the black version ad. Hopefully yours didn't come from an Avengers book.

We need more people to check their ASM #1's for you to see if there is another example. Check Heritages archives too since they do back cover scans.

Is PGX so bad that they would let a completely wrong back cover get a universal label????

I'm hoping I've found a true variant!!! (Now everyone is checking the backs of their Spidey 1s

We all know that with certain lighting, dark blue can look black. If you look at the right side of your photo of the suspect book it lightens to the point that it could be navy blue.

Is PGX so bad that they would let a completely wrong back cover get a universal label????

I'm hoping I've found a true variant!!! (Now everyone is checking the backs of their Spidey 1s

Whichever way it goes, this will be an interesting thread! :popcorn:

Looked at the BC of the Spidey 1 I have and it's blue with some areas that are darker than others.

I wouldn't surprise me if there were many BCs on these books with varying degrees of color shades. They weren't exactly churning out $100 books back then with a 12 cent price tag so it's possible that something happened along the way.

Unfortulately I don't think you've found any type of variant, nor would CGC recognize it as such. If it is black, its rather cool versus other Spidey 1's but I don't see much additional value.

I hope you didn't find the "12 year old with a magic market" variant :(

We all know that with certain lighting, dark blue can look black. If you look at the right side of your photo of the suspect book it lightens to the point that it could be navy blue.

+1

Ok, I think I've figured this out.

Here are the differences between the Blue Background Ad (like on Spidey 1 & TOS 39) and the Black Background Ad (like on Avengers 4 and Xmen 4)

Here's the bottom of the Blue background Ad:

There are 3 things to notice

1) there is NO black line around the yellow edge of the ad

2) the box in the lower right corner is light green

3) the first 2 shoes under the trunk have a highlight on the toes of the shoes

lf-2.jpg

Here's the bottom of the Black background Ad:

1) there is a black line around the yellow edge of the ad

2) the box in the lower right corner is light blue

3) the first 2 shoes under the trunk DO NOT have a highlight on the toes of the shoes

lf-3.jpg

With this evidence I can see that the back cover of the ASM 1 I just bought is CORRECT. It just has the darkest blue background I've ever seen on this comic OR it is truly a variant cover with a BLACK background. When I get the comic I will let you know.

Here are the differences between the Blue Background Ad (like on Spidey 1 & TOS 39) and the Black Background Ad (like on Avengers 4 and Xmen 4)

lf-2.jpg

3) the first 2 shoes under the trunk DO NOT have a highlight on the toes of the shoes

lf-3.jpg

With this evidence I can see that the back cover of the ASM 1 I just bought is CORRECT. It just has the darkest blue background I've ever seen on this comic OR it is truly a variant cover with a BLACK background. When I get the comic I will let you know.

Check the Dept. #'s on the bottom left/center

ASM #1 & TOS #39 should be Mason Dept, H-655

Avengers #4 should be Mason Dept. F-122

lf-2.jpg

lf-3.jpg

Check the Dept. #'s on the bottom left/center

ASM #1 & TOS #39 should be Mason Dept, H-655

Avengers #4 should be Mason Dept. F-122

You sure can learn a lot in this place.