• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What series should come first?

22 posts in this topic

You'll only have to pay more for the keys at a later time, and the surrounding unimportant issues will not rise in a similar fashion(if at all).

Buy the keys first. :baiting:

+1 Agreed. It can get disheartening if you start on the "cheaper" issues first. Go for the most expensive key books first then it's all easy after that. (thumbs u

That's a broad range your focussing on too. Maybe it'd be easier to focus on just 1?

I've decided that I'm going to try and put together complete runs (or as complete as I can get) of some of my favorite books. These would be Batman, Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man, Green Lantern, and Avengers.

Question is which should I start with?

What kind of grades are you looking to collect for your runs?

Daredevil is a good idea. With the rights going back to Marvel there will probably be a movie in the works soon. Thus the demand for those books will probably start to go up.

Either way it is very difficult and you'll probably be at it for a LONG time. Good luck!

Money won't be an issue forever, but as of right now I need to be somewhat conservative until my house is paid off over the next few years. I plan on getting one series together at a time and based on the opinions of everyone, will start with the keys. Daredevil sounds like a good starting point.

I figured I've got about 30 solid years of collecting left so I've got the time.

As far as grades, I'm not terribly picky. Just owning them is something I'd be happy with. I'd like something that presents well, but I'd settle for a 1.8 grade DD #1. I'm not considering reselling, but you never know. Things change.

I suggest not focusing on one. It gets tedious and laborious focusing on one title. I would go after keys in these titles. There are plenty of non-expensive keys, especially if grade is not as important. Also, pick out your favorite covers and get those first. The most important thing is since you are not going to be a grade snob is buy the best looking books you can find. Look for well centered, good page quality, and bright colors. Set a goal to get a certain book and dedicate yourself to finding the perfect copy for you.

The good thing is there is plenty of supply in these titles and if you miss a book, don't fret, others will appear.

It all depends on whether you’d like to read and browse them as you collect.

If you want, it’s better to follow some order and choose a title, otherwise, like Flash105 said, it can get you stuck, and trigger insane ideas like "I seem I can’t get THAT issue, darn, I want it – right now!". :)

I also started with DD. Thanks to many fellow boardies I have put together the 1-53 run in about 6 months. Now that this is done I am now adding multiples of the key issues. For example I now have 3 copies of #1 and my third copy of #7 should arrive this coming week.

At the same time I also put together the Miller runs 158-191 and 226-233. These are now complete but I am acquiring higher grade copies of books such as 158 and 168. I am also adding any 9.6 graded copies of the 158-191 run when possible. These can sometimes be picked up for very good prices on this very board.

DD will soon not be my focus but I will continue to add multiples of the keys as I start to chase another run. I think this time it will be the key issues of Strange Tales. These are great books and are a bit under the radar at the moment. It is a great time to pick up decent well priced copies of 101, 107, 110, 135 etc. These however, will be come popular again, and that is when having multiples of the keys will help you fill holes in other runs.

Just my 2 cents.

You'll only have to pay more for the keys at a later time, and the surrounding unimportant issues will not rise in a similar fashion(if at all).

Buy the keys first. :baiting:

Okay, that does make sense.

I can actually appreciate getting the commons first to get the feet wet. I think a middle road approach where for every x commons you get a key would make you feel like you're making quantitative and qualitative updates to your collection might be a good idea.

Daredevil is a good idea. With the rights going back to Marvel there will probably be a movie in the works soon. Thus the demand for those books will probably start to go up.

Either way it is very difficult and you'll probably be at it for a LONG time. Good luck!

4 to 1 Marvel collectors over DC, so I'm not understanding the "difficult" comment.