• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Me, the NOD, and regret.

298 posts in this topic

I have forgotten that once upon a time we had some really great discussions and some very heated debates. There was alot of views from collectors here, and it led to alot of knowledge to be gained. I blame myself. Seriously, I do.. I have not posted much in quite some time, and with reason. What was I to post about? I am a friikin Jack Hole who was duped by people I thought were genuine in their beliefs, and destroyed something I BELIEVED in! If you do not know what I mean, I mean the NOD. While serving on the board, I voted in favor of this change to the CBCA. What for? The first things we did were destroy everything the NOD ever was and create another forum.. The CBCA did have it's heart in the right place, but it was too soft.

So here I sit, reading this thread. I remember there was more fire to me, and others.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=352319&fpart=1

And now we sit and discuss what? I really don't know, movies, investment potential? It just isnt the same..

To anyone who cares, accept my apology. I should have fought to keep the GOD, and expand upon it. But I didnt, and I regret it. To my fellow CBCA founders, I am sorry I had never spoken about this. But it was never my intention for the CBCA to be so soft, and once created my voice was lost.

And that is pretty much it. I feel better about getting this off my chest. But hopefully others understand what I am trying to say. I finally have the time again after a marriage, 2 children and a career change. But no fire..

I have forgotten that once upon a time we had some really great discussions and some very heated debates. There was alot of views from collectors here, and it led to alot of knowledge to be gained. I blame myself. Seriously, I do.. I have not posted much in quite some time, and with reason. What was I to post about? I am a friikin Jack Hole who was duped by people I thought were genuine in their beliefs, and destroyed something I BELIEVED in! If you do not know what I mean, I mean the NOD. While serving on the board, I voted in favor of this change to the CBCA. What for? The first things we did were destroy everything the NOD ever was and create another forum.. The CBCA did have it's heart in the right place, but it was too soft.

So here I sit, reading this thread. I remember there was more fire to me, and others.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=352319&fpart=1

And now we sit and discuss what? I really don't know, movies, investment potential? It just isnt the same..

To anyone who cares, accept my apology. I should have fought to keep the GOD, and expand upon it. But I didnt, and I regret it. To my fellow CBCA founders, I am sorry I had never spoken about this. But it was never my intention for the CBCA to be so soft, and once created my voice was lost.

And that is pretty much it. I feel better about getting this off my chest. But hopefully others understand what I am trying to say. I finally have the time again after a marriage, 2 children and a career change. But no fire..

No offence, but this kind of intensity needs to be utilised for things that matter.

People starving, child neglect, people getting blown away by holes in movie theaters, that kind of thing.

Funny books are way down on the list for things to get bent out of shape about. (shrug)

The NOD was doomed for failure anyway because there was simply no way to 100% confirm whether a book had or had not been pressed.

Nevermind that the whole collecting community outside a very vocal few on these boards couldn't care about whether said books had been pressed.

I accused many of you of belonging to the "Girl Haters Club" at the time because of the attitude being carried that somehow you were better than everyone else and tried to encourage you guys into proactive ideas of educating others, which I think you ended up trying to do.

I even went so far as to have one of you create fliers (of which you didn't have at the time despite being an "organization" for as long as you were) which I passed out at a comic con that I was set up at.

The gist of this is, whether or not I agreed with your mission, or even thought it possible, it was obvious to me that if you were going to be effective that you needed to become proactive in the marketplace. Instead all we got was a (small) group of (good) people that sat around and person_without_enough_empathyed.

Pat, I always thought you stood for honesty and disclosure. I don't think you should feel that you've failed at any point.

Despite it's noble ideals, NOD was doomed from the beginning. I haven't heard much from CBCA, its goals to help educate collectors had merit.

I think you,and many others,did a fine job.

Some others not so much.You had certain members so caustic you couldnt help but dislike NOD.

The thing that sticks in my mind is Joey being kicked out.

Fine, I'll jump on the grenade, what the fudge are you guys talking about?

NOD (Network Of Disclosure) was a group dedicated to making sure that all resto (including and especially pressing) was properly noted. This was during the hottest days of the Pressing Wars (where Kenobi got his stripes). It died the death, and from the ashes rose the CBCA (Comic Book Collecting Association).

Fine, I'll jump on the grenade, what the fudge are you guys talking about?

NOD (Network Of Disclosure) was a group dedicated to making sure that all resto (including and especially pressing) was properly noted. This was during the hottest days of the Pressing Wars (where Kenobi got his stripes). It died the death, and from the ashes rose the CBCA (Comic Book Collecting Association).

And so the NOD has no influence any longer? As a relative newb - I've never heard of either of these organizations discussed here at least to the point that it was easily noticed.

It sounds thought-provoking, controversial and interesting.

I don't necessarily agree with Pat. Back in those days, reading the boards could be a very frustrating experience. I enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere these days.

I didn't join until 2007 so I missed a lot of the early, heated discussions, but I find the boards rather boring lately.

With the marketplace being full of undisclosed pressed books and most collectors only interested in the number on the label and how big of a payday they could squeeze out of a book, there was little left to fight for.

For those of us that wanted to collect truly unrestored comics, we were just fighting against the tide of those who wanted to make some easy money. In the end, it got nearly impossible to find comics with a decent shot at being unpressed.

The CBCA is a worthy venture but just suffers from not having enough people with enough time to spare to get things done.

The NOD was doomed for failure anyway because there was simply no way to 100% confirm whether a book had or had not been pressed. people were making too much money from undisclosed pressing of books

Fixed that for ya!

I don't necessarily agree with Pat. Back in those days, reading the boards could be a very frustrating experience. I enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere these days.

I didn't join until 2007 so I missed a lot of the early, heated discussions, but I find the boards rather boring lately.

You take from the boards what you put in.

Don't trip

potaaatoe chip

Really, it's not THAT serious