• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Me, the NOD, and regret.

298 posts in this topic

I am also not asking for a "New" standard. I would like the Overstreet/CGC standard taught to people by paid teachers/advisors.

I saw this as a business. Training courses done at conventions. Certified teachers in each state where a person could make an appointment and come over and be taught for a fee. Consider it "supplemental" income.

I thought it had a lot of potential if thought through. Naturally there would be bumps along the way but this is not rocket science as far as training courses go.

It is a good idea and will most likely come to be.

I'd like to mention that the CBCA tried to set up a grading presentation at the NYCC a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the organizers turned down our request for a room as they didn't think there would be any demand.

Mike

Because I keep hoping someday you'll listen.

Ditto.

Irresistible Cancerian force vs. Immovable Virgo object? hm

Will you two frot and make up, for crying out loud. :frustrated:

Ditto.

There was a time this didn't happen? I've been seeing it for three years and it always makes me chuckle.

We might figure out who the collector is with all the pressed books that made sure they didn't deem pressing as restoration,

Hindsight is 20/20. If you were Steve Borock, how would you have defined CGC's stance towards pressing given that it isn't even detectable?

It's detectable some of the time. More than you may think. And it would be alot more detectable still if there were large digital databases of slabbed comics in addition to the one maintained by Heritage.

Is it worth my time and effort to read this entire thread? :eek:

I know it's authored by that mess-stirring Pat, so I have to question it's quality of content. :baiting:

Eat :censored: and of course.. Go Fist Yourself.

:cloud9:

I'd like to mention that the CBCA tried to set up a grading presentation at the NYCC a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the organizers turned down our request for a room as they didn't think there would be any demand.

Mike

There was a resto seminar in B'more a few years back. Matt was part of the panel.

It was informative, unfortunately there weren't a bunch of attendees. And most of them were boardies. There are issues on the boards that the vast majority of collector don't really care about.

That said, I'd love a grading seminar (I went to the resto one). I'd pay to attend.

As I've said before, this is something that would be best approached via online using telepresence or Web conferencing software. It could be broken down into a number of segments in a series so that it makes it more flexible for instructors/teachers to participate and get involved based on availability and schedule. If it were organized at a convention, some of the technological requirements to pull this off could likely be handled by a few of tech savvy boardie's in attendance. An alternative to online conferencing would be to video record the series and then make it available for viewing online.

The NOD was doomed for failure anyway because there was simply no way to 100% confirm whether a book had or had not been pressed.

Nevermind that the whole collecting community outside a very vocal few on these boards couldn't care about whether said books had been pressed.

I accused many of you of belonging to the "Girl Haters Club" at the time because of the attitude being carried that somehow you were better than everyone else and tried to encourage you guys into proactive ideas of educating others, which I think you ended up trying to do.

I even went so far as to have one of you create fliers (of which you didn't have at the time despite being an "organization" for as long as you were) which I passed out at a comic con that I was set up at.

The gist of this is, whether or not I agreed with your mission, or even thought it possible, it was obvious to me that if you were going to be effective that you needed to become proactive in the marketplace. Instead all we got was a (small) group of (good) people that sat around and person_without_enough_empathyed.

NOD was doomed to failure because it was a bunch of antipressing zealots who tried to ram down the throats of people it belief system.

Led by the mouthpiece who god burned when his UHG 9.8 comic got joined on the census by another couple of copies and he lost some of his money.

There were people who were good and level headed. They were shouted down, kept quiet, or kicked out. Like Joey.

I have forgotten that once upon a time we had some really great discussions and some very heated debates. There was alot of views from collectors here, and it led to alot of knowledge to be gained. I blame myself. Seriously, I do.. I have not posted much in quite some time, and with reason. What was I to post about? I am a friikin Jack Hole who was duped by people I thought were genuine in their beliefs, and destroyed something I BELIEVED in! If you do not know what I mean, I mean the NOD. While serving on the board, I voted in favor of this change to the CBCA. What for? The first things we did were destroy everything the NOD ever was and create another forum.. The CBCA did have it's heart in the right place, but it was too soft.

So here I sit, reading this thread. I remember there was more fire to me, and others.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=352319&fpart=1

And now we sit and discuss what? I really don't know, movies, investment potential? It just isnt the same..

To anyone who cares, accept my apology. I should have fought to keep the GOD, and expand upon it. But I didnt, and I regret it. To my fellow CBCA founders, I am sorry I had never spoken about this. But it was never my intention for the CBCA to be so soft, and once created my voice was lost.

And that is pretty much it. I feel better about getting this off my chest. But hopefully others understand what I am trying to say. I finally have the time again after a marriage, 2 children and a career change. But no fire..

I think you,and many others,did a fine job.

Some others not so much.You had certain members so caustic you couldnt help but dislike NOD.

The thing that sticks in my mind is Joey being kicked out.

Nik quit if that tells some of yall anything

We might figure out who the collector is with all the pressed books that made sure they didn't deem pressing as restoration,

Hindsight is 20/20. If you were Steve Borock, how would you have defined CGC's stance towards pressing given that it isn't even detectable?

It's detectable some of the time. More than you may think. And it would be alot more detectable still if there were large digital databases of slabbed comics in addition to the one maintained by Heritage.

I'll just follow up on this out of curiousity -- but would one of the tells be seeing a bit of the inner back cover beyond the paper when viewing the front top right of the book?

I've been seeing this on a number of Silver Age Marvels lately -- and while it's natural to see a bit of the pages peer out an a small angle at the top of the right side of the book -- this display of the inner side of the back cover looks quite unusual to me. (shrug)

I find myself being rather wary of such.

The NOD was doomed for failure anyway because there was simply no way to 100% confirm whether a book had or had not been pressed.

Nevermind that the whole collecting community outside a very vocal few on these boards couldn't care about whether said books had been pressed.

I accused many of you of belonging to the "Girl Haters Club" at the time because of the attitude being carried that somehow you were better than everyone else and tried to encourage you guys into proactive ideas of educating others, which I think you ended up trying to do.

I even went so far as to have one of you create fliers (of which you didn't have at the time despite being an "organization" for as long as you were) which I passed out at a comic con that I was set up at.

The gist of this is, whether or not I agreed with your mission, or even thought it possible, it was obvious to me that if you were going to be effective that you needed to become proactive in the marketplace. Instead all we got was a (small) group of (good) people that sat around and person_without_enough_empathyed.

NOD was doomed to failure because it was a bunch of antipressing zealots who tried to ram down the throats of people it belief system.

Led by the mouthpiece who god burned when his UHG 9.8 comic got joined on the census by another couple of copies and he lost some of his money.

If I'm not mistaking wasn't Brent "Quality Comix" the President of NOD started a pressing service? Not sure but I recall a big thread about it.

I see at least 2 problems with this.

First, CGC obviously has standards and trains their people to grade to those standards, yet I see quite a bit of fluctuation in grading, not only from month to month, but from year to year.

The 2nd problem is that as an unless someone is going to run these seminars forever, as one teacher "retires", a new one must take his place. We have seen this at CGC, with Steve, Mark, and now Paul. I am not going to claim that any are better than others. I am simply going to stay that different things(defects) were viewed in a different light (or levels of importance) by different people.

Then I would submit that CGC"s standards are not documented for themselves. If it were, then the individual biases wouldn't be involved. If we want to extend this beyond CGC then we need to be able to bottle the magic. Apparently, the golden goose is on the loose.

Individual biases (I don't like the negative connotation of that, lets say individual preferences) will always happen, and always should. To me, it is what makes the hobby interesting. As long as individuals are involved, it is impossible to avoid these biases, even with the original standard.

Let me give you an example, you have 2 books (this is probably going to occur more in the 8.0 - 9.2 range). Both with the same cumulative number(degree) of defects, but one book has snow white pages, great color strike, and gloss. Only a fool would call the books the same grade. While one book has average eye appeal, one book has outstanding eye appeal, and in my opinion, that eye appeal has to raise the grade at least slightly, in comparison with the other book. I guess what I am trying to say, is that grading is more than counting the number of defects on a book. It has to do with freshness, and eye appeal as well. You have to figure not only the defects on a book, but also, the components of a book that might be better than most examples.

Ditto.

Jeezus Christo how do you know all these terms :hail:

If I'm not mistaking wasn't Brent "Quality Comix" the President of NOD started a pressing service? Not sure but I recall a big thread about it.

I think so.

Ditto.

Jeezus Christo how do you know all these terms :hail:

First hand experience.

:signfunny: