• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

I bet the show won't last past season 5 or 6. I felt like everyone got new clothes & haircuts right before season 3 started. I went back to re-watch some of season 1, and that eerie/gritty feeling is mostly gone.

As for Walking Dead key issues, I feel their value might drop here and their, but the demand will always be there for #1-3, #19, & #27.

In the comic, the Governor story line was by far the best. After that it seemed like a struggle to come up with something even remotely worth reading. Abraham was the only saving grace to the comic story.

The TV series is about to have a hard time keeping the viewers starting with the next season, IMO.

Gov story was good but for me i feel that after it is where the story picked up. Read it in trades and was more exciting than the prison. They had nothing, nowhere to go, and a whole world to explore.

Going to agree. I think in 5-10 years, a 9.8 is going to be worth double what it is now.

You think this is a $5k book when the TV show is gone and the series may have reached it's end? With 550+ in 9.8 and above and rising?

It's ok if you do, that's fine, but there have been some REALLY popular series in the last twenty years that set the universe on fire in their day and are almost entirely forgotten now.

Wait - do you mean to tell me my X-Files #1 in 9.8 isn't worth thousands of dollars?

Going to agree. I think in 5-10 years, a 9.8 is going to be worth double what it is now.

You think this is a $5k book when the TV show is gone and the series may have reached it's end? With 550+ in 9.8 and above and rising?

It's ok if you do, that's fine, but there have been some REALLY popular series in the last twenty years that set the universe on fire in their day and are almost entirely forgotten now.

Wait - do you mean to tell me my X-Files #1 in 9.8 isn't worth thousands of dollars?

lol

I know what bubble isn't bursting anytime soon and that is my viewing enjoyment of Game Of Thrones! (worship)

Season 3 is shaping up to be just as phenomenal as the other two.

If GoT was an Image comic book first their 9.8 #1's would be selling for 5K min. :cool:

X-Files #1 peaked in late 1996, early 1997 so it's impossible to see what that book would have sold for in a 9.8 slab, as CGC didn't exist then. But I can tell you that a raw X-Files #1 back then would have commanded close to $100 in 2013 dollars. Then let's say a 9.8 might command a 3-5X multiple for such a hot book - putting that book in theory around $300-$500 back then. What does it go for today? $50? WD COULD perform like TMNT over time, but the odds are it won't. It's really tough to maintain a franchise for 30+ years. Odds are in favor of this book having a similar fate to other hot books from the past. You probably won't be able to pick it up for $50 in the future, but if Vegas was taking bets on if WD will be worth more or less in 10 years than it is now, I would DEFINITELY bet less. 2c

X-Files #1 peaked in late 1996, early 1997 so it's impossible to see what that book would have sold for in a 9.8 slab, as CGC didn't exist then. But I can tell you that a raw X-Files #1 back then would have commanded close to $100 in 2013 dollars. Then let's say a 9.8 might command a 3-5X multiple for such a hot book - putting that book in theory around $300-$500 back then. What does it go for today? $50? WD COULD perform like TMNT over time, but the odds are it won't. It's really tough to maintain a franchise for 30+ years. Odds are in favor of this book having a similar fate to other hot books from the past. You probably won't be able to pick it up for $50 in the future, but if Vegas was taking bets on if WD will be worth more or less in 10 years than it is now, I would DEFINITELY bet less. 2c

I agree.

I think in 10 years WD #1 will be less in inflation adjusted dollars and in actually price.

The TMNT is an interesting comparison. Small print runs for each, TMNT much less, but both small runs. There are only 10 copies of TMNT #1 in 9.8 and it's a billion dollar + generating property. The odds are there's NO WAY that WD #1 performs like TMNT #1.

Zombies never go out of style. If NOTLD was based on a comic you betcha rears it would have commanded higher prices than most popular Marvel silver age comics BECAUSE of the popularity of TWD, which is probably what will happen with WD in 30-40 years as well. Regardless of how much this show may suck in the future (which i highly doubt), it will always be a cult show

Edited by Aweandlorder

TMNT also has the added benefit of being a franchise that can be repackaged over and over to new generations of kids. I agree that once the tv show is done, the hoopla will die down. But even when Walking Dead is "out of sight, out of mind", I would imagine that the impact it's had on the comic book community, and pop culture in general, would mean that certain key issues would always be in demand.

TMNT also has the added benefit of being a franchise that can be repackaged over and over to new generations of kids. I agree that once the tv show is done, the hoopla will die down. But even when Walking Dead is "out of sight, out of mind", I would imagine that the impact it's had on the comic book community, and pop culture in general, would mean that certain key issues would always be in demand.

I think they'll be in demand too. I just don't know how high that demand will be, and how widespread.

Take away the heat and anything will cool.

What has its impact on pop culture been? It is a good story, and it was adapted into a good tv show, but at its heart it is about zombies in the same way umpteen other books/movies and even comics have been about zombies. The only difference is that WD looks at the long term story of survivors, but aside from that how has it changed a genre? I like WD, don't get me wrong, but I can't see how it is still going to be relevant enough in 10 years to command even $500 for #1 when the show/comic series is done and folks have moved on.

There are a finite amount of #1's out there, regardless of how many are graded 9.8. The show's only built more and more fever for potential fans. I don't think we need a 40+ page thread to realize that yes, while there will be a drop off after the show is over, if you think this book will ever be had for south of $1,500, you're crazy. It's the key modern book to have. Period.

Now-- when can we start talking about the OA bubble? That's the one I'm eager to see pop so i can snatch up some more covers!

There are a finite amount of #1's out there, regardless of how many are graded 9.8. The show's only built more and more fever for potential fans. I don't think we need a 40+ page thread to realize that yes, while there will be a drop off after the show is over, if you think this book will ever be had for south of $1,500, you're crazy. It's the key modern book to have. Period.

Now-- when can we start talking about the OA bubble? That's the one I'm eager to see pop so i can snatch up some more covers!

I'm crazy then. It isn't a matter of if on sub-$1,500 #1 prices, but how fast we get there.

I'm crazy then. It isn't a matter of if on sub-$1,500 #1 prices, but how fast we get there.

We play in a market where people pay $375 for Nowhere Men #1 variants-- raw, I might add --when the book isn't even on it's 4th issue. I think TWD is an easy $1,500 for the long haul. Adjusting for inflation puts that higher.

Edited by ComicsNYC22

We play in a market where people pay $400 for Nowhere Men #1 variants, when the book isn't even on it's 4th issue. I think TWD is an easy $1,500 for the long haul. Adjusting for inflation puts that higher.

Which assumes that the NowherePanzerSagaBedlamSexRevival will retain 1% of this value in the long term.

We've seen this before. We shall see it again. You could name a dozen initially hot series from the last decade that faded into obscurity and might not even be worth the cost of slabbing now. Desirability ebbs and flows and the Walking Dead will continue to be desirable to the masses as long as the masses are told it's desirable. By "told" I mean marketed to. When the TV series ends, when the series ends, when the licensing ends you will be hard pressed to find the heat necessary to fuel long term growth, desire, and demand.

Walking Dead will retain some value, that is for sure, but value to keep pace with inflation, or exceed inflation? Dubious.

We play in a market where people pay $400 for Nowhere Men #1 variants, when the book isn't even on it's 4th issue. I think TWD is an easy $1,500 for the long haul. Adjusting for inflation puts that higher.

The NM bubble will burst more quickly, in fact it already seems to be moving in that direction, but they'll both burst. The same market said that a 9.9 New Mutants #98 was a $12,000 book and that Skullkickers was going to be the next big thing. The housing market couldn't possibly go down, and tulips would make everyone rich. The chance that WD #1 is the chosen one that will hold its value forever is not promising.

The case for the Limited Edition Blu-Ray for Season 3.

And yes...the heads float...

297952_654601277899367_1489186522_n.jpg

Link to the pre-order.

My nomination for coolest DVD package EVER !

:applause:

Love that there's almost 5000 reviews for a DVD set that hasnt come out.

They should put ZERO effort into the DVD mastering/audio/packaging and just release a turd of a product. It already has a 5 star rating based on 5k reviews... :facepalm:

While holding multiples of WD #1 might be risky long term. I fully intend on hanging on to my 2 copies long term and seeing what happens. If they reach stupid prices like 5 grand or more I would have to think about moving them. Even after the show goes away I fully expect a movie.That will capatilize on the popularity..The Genre is popular as ever and Walking Dead name sort of has become the kleenex of Zombies

You think NBC has not noticed what is going on? Sixth Gun pilot ring a bell

Edited by VW ClobberinThing

While holding multiples of WD #1 might be risky long term. I fully intend on hanging on to my 2 copies long term and seeing what happens. If they reach stupid prices like 5 grand or more I would have to think about moving them. Even after the show goes away I fully expect a movie.That will capatilize on the popularity..The Genre is popular as ever and Walking Dead name sort of has become the kleenex of Zombies

You think NBC has not noticed what is going on? Sixth Gun pilot ring a bell

The speculation on Sixth Gun is even worse.

NBC ordered a pilot? Awesome. It's made it farther than three dozen other comic series that got option deals at the same time.

However, spending $1200+ on a Sixth Gun #1 has a real possibility of leaving your fingers burned to the nubs.

While the pilot pick-up is great news, it doesn't necessarily mean that we'll all be watching The Sixth Gun every week come this time next year; NBC has ordered seven drama pilots so far this year (and three comedies), far more than it necessarily has time slots for. It remains to be seen whether or not the pilot will eventually make the cut,

Then if it makes it, it has to be popular, popular enough to stay on TV.

It's a long way to go and when almost all the value is placed on the end result of a smash successful TV show the odds are only slightly worse to be struck by lightning.

Sixth Gun is a $1,200 book??????

Yeah, there have been multiple sales of cgc 9.8's at that level right here on the boards.