• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

This thread is hilarious.Especially the people who 6 months ago everyone on here were predicting this book was dead in the water - including so called fans (speculators) of the book., Stop looking at this from a comic book nerd perspective. There are still new people that are just discovering TWD. This book will last a lot longer than most will think....

BTW, I have never owned a TWD #1 or any other issues.

Right on .... (thumbs u

The cheapest Walking Dead 1 on eBay right now is priced at $2700 (white label)... This is great news, prices are rising fellas so you know what that means, keep on dreaming for you Crash... 9.6 is now priced at $2000.....This is fantastic....
hm

Hulk is a bit passionate... But misguided.

Those are asking prices. Nobody is selling a 9.6 for 2k yet.

Exactly. If you do a completed listings search, you will see that the WD 9.8's are actually only selling for a little over 2k, nowhere near $2700. I think its actually starting to drop a little.

I just posted a page back the completed GPA sales for May so far.

There are at least 12 waaay over 2K.

And 1 over 3K

And its only the 15th of May.

Perhaps it's better to actually read the thread before spouting completely eroneous facts, as it adds nothing to the discussion and lowers your credibility somewhat.

2c

rantrant

I did a simple search on ebay and found numerous completed auctions for the 9.8 White Labels and the average is $2,000 to $2300.

You may have seen 12 sell for "waaay" over 2K, but that really isn't the average for this book (as it was only 12 books).

Heres an auction that ended on the 27th of April for $2200.

WD1

Heres another auction where the book sold for even less than that on the 7th of April, $2,026.

WD1

Now, those were just white label books. The black labels usually sell for more than that. Unfortunately, the sell prices on the BL books are so inconsistent, its kind of hard to pinpoint a standard value for them.

In case you or anyone was interested, here is the email I received from comic book investing guru, Terry Hoknes, in response to my "What should I do with my WD1?" question I had for him.

(He has numerous comic book investing videos on youtube that are worth checking out.)

"Hype for the tv show has peaked, though i love the show. Doug Sulipa, market reporter for Overstreet, figured it has seen its peak and this would be the best time to sell.

In the long future, as long as the tv show and demand for the series is high, the book should be quite valuable like the Ninja Turtles comics.

It is currently one of the most valuable comics of the past 50 years, so its hard to believe that it would keep going up in value as it really is quite high now

Can't predict the future, so no way to know for sure, but my general opinion usually is to NOT invest in newer products as they are more likely to go down before raising again, whereas gold/silver age comics just keep going up.

So if i was going to play it safe i would personally sell it and put the money in an old issue of Action or Detective from the 40's !"

With that said, I really dont see this book rising in value, but rather dropping. I dont see it reaching TMNT status either. Deflation may not happen anytime soon, but give it 10 years, and you will have a book on your hands that you probably paid way to much for. There are a few factors that make this book so valuable right now, but the main factor is the popularity of the tv show. That popularity will most likely fizzle out, leaving the value of the book at it's lowest point.

Btw, I'm not entirely sure if your "Perhaps it's better to actually read the thread before spouting completely eroneous facts, as it adds nothing to the discussion and lowers your credibility somewhat" comment is credible in itself. Please specifically point out what I said that actually lowered my credibility and were erroneous facts. If i was at fault, I'll apologize for any misinformed information that wasn't a part of my own opinion.

Edited by Darkowl

The cheapest Walking Dead 1 on eBay right now is priced at $2700 (white label)... This is great news, prices are rising fellas so you know what that means, keep on dreaming for you Crash... 9.6 is now priced at $2000.....This is fantastic....
hm

Exactly. If you do a completed listings search, you will see that the WD 9.8's are actually only selling for a little over 2k, nowhere near $2700. I think its actually starting to drop a little.

I just posted a page back the completed GPA sales for May so far.

There are at least 12 waaay over 2K.

And 1 over 3K

And its only the 15th of May.

Perhaps it's better to actually read the thread before spouting completely eroneous facts, as it adds nothing to the discussion and lowers your credibility somewhat.

2c

I agree , look at the completed GPA sales...

I only see one sale of a 9.8 blue in May on GPA....for $1999. (shrug)

If we look at the 9.8 blues over the last month this is what we see...

May-06-2013 $1,999 Cert# 0210460001

Apr-28-2013 $2,326 Cert# 1094188003

Apr-27-2013 $2,200 Cert# 1094428002

Apr-25-2013 $2,450 Cert# 0210873001

Apr-22-2013 $2,326 Cert# 1101018001

Apr-22-2013 $2,076 Cert# 1103146001

Apr-20-2013 $2,850 Cert# 1096874002

Apr-19-2013 $2,400 Cert# 0976122010

Apr-15-2013 $2,650

Apr-15-2013 $1,998 Cert# 1110580001

10 sales, averaging $2,327, with a median of $2,326.

hm

90 Day GPA average is $2286. 6 of the last 9 sales have exceeded that amount and 1 of the 3 that didn't was for $2200.

Yeah, Id say that's a little over 2K.

I wonder what the storylines will be. They've run through the first 48 issues it seems.

The governor doesn't have an army any more.

Those first 48 issues were packed and steeped in storylines....the next 48+? not so much.

They are going to need some serious deviation from the source material if we are looking at three more seasons.

There have been other series that set the world on fire for 2-3 seasons cough*Heroes*cough and then were gone within one season because of problems with writing and story lines and viewers not sticking around to see if things get better.

The core comic book reading audience is less than 1% of the audience for this show. If the story falters, the core may stick around but the show will be long gone before it gets down to them being counted.

I agree.

They need a very strong story after the Gov arc ends. I think they will continue to capture the audience with great stories. Kirkman will do a great job....that's my opinion.

I agree.

They need a very strong story after the Gov arc ends. I think they will continue to capture the audience with great stories. Kirkman will do a great job....that's my opinion.

:wishluck:

I wonder what the storylines will be. They've run through the first 48 issues it seems.

Those first 48 issues were packed and steeped in storylines....the next 48+? not so much.

They are going to need some serious deviation from the source material if we are looking at three more seasons.

There have been other series that set the world on fire for 2-3 seasons cough*Heroes*cough and then were gone within one season because of problems with writing and story lines and viewers not sticking around to see if things get better.

The core comic book reading audience is less than 1% of the audience for this show. If the story falters, the core may stick around but the show will be long gone before it gets down to them being counted.

Im sorry bad memory, are you the same guy that compared WD to Crow? and now comparing WD to Heroes?

Just making sure

Im sorry bad memory, are you the same guy that compared WD to Crow? and now comparing WD to Heroes?

Just making sure

Yes,

And I did so logically and with facts and details.

Would you like to add some facts to your constant fluffing or just run with the nothing you've used so far?

Go back and look at the ratings and viewership and demographics of Heroes and see how fast they fell off when the writers changed and the story lines didn't click.

The world didn't start with Walking Dead and doesn't end at your navel. Give other ideas, posited by people who give clear criteria and details, a try sometime.

Just making sure

Yes,

Would you like to add some facts to your constant fluffing or just run with the nothing you've used so far?

Go back and look at the ratings and viewership and demographics of Heroes and see how fast they fell off when the writers changed and the story lines didn't click.

The world didn't start with Walking Dead and doesn't end at your navel. Give other ideas, posited by people who give clear criteria and details, a try sometime.

Dude. Seriously? WTH did I say, i just asked you a simple question why are you so bent outta shape?

Just making sure

Yes,

Dude. Seriously? WTH did I say, i just asked you a simple question why are you so bent outta shape?

So that wasn't snarky? Really?

Because I remember some massively snarky comments about the Crow comparison.

If you read your post in the light of the comments that were made about how completely wrong you thought the Crow comparison was you might read some snark into it.

If that's NOT what you meant then... :foryou:

Yes,

You left out one fact and detail. The writers strike greatly impacted Heroes viewership.

So there's your answer. The shows popularity holds up the value for the books therefore the bubble will burst after the next writers strike.

Also, you may want to eat a Snikers, Betty White.

Edited by MostAwesomeComics