• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

I've never understood the allure of this TV show. But I admit I only watched two episodes of it, and I think that was during its first year on TV.

I just don't care much for zombies or anything similar. They bore me. Too slow and too easily defeated. I watched the "Night of the Living Dead" last night. For about ten minutes. Man, was that bad.

Now give me a good werewolf or vampire movie, and I'm there.

Thing is it's not really about the zombies... it's a character book / show... the zombies alone are the least interesting thing in it. Agree that Vampires and Werewolves make better bad guys as they can be imbued with personality. Think of it more like Scooby Doo where the real monsters always turn out to be the human beings.

Like most titles you need time invested in the protagonists to care. I bet plenty of people watched Game of Thrones and were a bit put off by the first couple of episodes being confusing because of the sheer amount of characters, inter relationships, factions, politics, etc that was thrown at them... even for me it took the first 4 episodes in season 1 to really bed in and get familiar.

The allure for me has been and always will be the comics first and foremost.

Pittsburgh is a zombie mecca. Out at one of Todds (he is a senior overstreet advisor) stores at century 3, they have all the early Walking dead issues collecting dust for about 6 months now in the case. At the mills store they have a bunch of walking dead back issues to on display noone seems to be interested in. (they actually downsized the Walking dead section at Cranberry last year)

At the recent Pittsburgh Comic-con usually there are lots of people buying walking dead merchandise but this year was definitely a bust.

Zombies are definitely fading a bit but thats the thing. I dont think the book will ever drop below $500, even when the dust settles.

But realistically, looking at the census numbers (quite a few 9.8's there) there is no way this book can maintain such a high value.. especially with the sharp decline in zombie popularity this last year... the fact every season but the first is kind of bad isnt doing the book good either.

everything boils down to census numbers vs demand. however this book despite the 10,000 print run was still horded and there are hundreds if not,thousands of 9.8's out there.

The fact walking dead #1 is selling for the same price or more than a 9.8 bronze key is sort of wonky considering those rare bronze 9.8's have as few 5-25 total in the census.

I respectfully disagree. By now WD 1 is a well entrenched modern blue chip key, to the point where people buy on the dips, thus raising the price back up whenever it falls below a certain level. Its initial print run is actually closer to 7300, not near the 10k you mentioned, and while 700 9.8/9.9's on the census certainly sounds like a lot, it is not as though they are all on the market simultaneously, and clearly their scarce availability at any given time is enough to maintain a very strong price point.

-J.

"modern | blue chip | key"

lol

Oxymoron: a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, or are expressions composed of words that are not inherently mutually exclusive but express an opinion that the two cannot occur together.

(shrug)

I would have to agree. I don't think any true 'blue chips' from the modern era have yet to be established.

I would have to disagree.

WD #1 even though over valued by 25%-35% till the show ends is still a blue chip book.

AF 15 of the modern age.

eh, might be a little early to call it the "AF 15" of the modern age. AF 15 only is what it is because generation after generation of children have fallen in love with Spiderman and grown old enough spend a butt-load (sorry for the technical term) on his first appearance.

Its been what, just under 11 years since WD 1 was released? Popular or not, I might give it a bit more time before I equivalize it to one of the most highly collected and revered books in the hobby...

You know, just to be sure and all.

:D

I am sure.

lol

Besides Batman 608 RRP and WD #1 what is there really to call a pull chip book from the modern age.

WD #1 introduced main stream characters to the world.

If TMNT #1 is best book of the copper age you have to put WD #1 the best of the Modern age so far.

Just my view but yes time will tell....

I 100% agree... Walking Dead is the King of Moderns.

TV show is not good anyways - at least after season 1. When the show ends, people will still keep reading the comics.

Re: TMNT, kids are always going to be big fans and when they get older they end up speculating the comics.

Show is still great to me! Increased ratings every season I believe and showing no signs of slowing down as of now.

Well, I agree with Game of Thrones. Two episodes made me lose any interest in it.

I'm more of a "Tyrant", "Ray Donovan", or "Bing Bang Theory" kind of viewer.

Game of Thrones is really one you should persevere with. Well worth starting over again, you won't find many better and more consistent shows when it comes to entertainment and production quality. Once you start to get the characters and where they all slot in then it hooks you.

I like the comics. I'm a fan of the show. the show seems to have almost caught up to the raw intensity of the comics. the black and white nature of the comics allows it to be a bit more gory than allowed in live action but the show hit a new gore factor high, or low depending on which camp you're in, in the first 2 episodes.

The thing that is beginning to get harder and harder for me to swallow is the the sheer physics and biology behind what allows the walkers, especially the emaciated and mostly devoured ones to actually walk. Yes I get it, it's a fictional show. But most of us can buy into the fact that a recently deceased organism is going to retain enough raw body mass and energy to lumber around. But a body who hasn't consumed anything recently and is mostly skin and bones or even loss of sinew, tendons, and musculature that can actually operate motor skills is beyond suspension of disbelief unless we start talking about metaphysical properties like the virus having a spiritual energy or chi.

Seriously, it's been months, the bones and tissue should not be able to bend or flex to any useful degree without some form of the ATP cycle taking place let alone move if there's no muscle attached. "But they've been feasting on humans" you say. Where are all these humans? Most are already dead. They're not feasting on each other, most of the zero day zombies should be completely immobile. The rest...Ok, I can imagine that the virus has the unique ability to synthesize all the necessary nutrients and vitamins from consuming raw human flesh and has altered the molecular structure of their tissue and bones to be more efficient than humans and so forth. But...most don't even have stomachs to process the food. Ok sure I can imagine the virus operates on osmosis and absorbs the flesh it comes into contact with. But to walk, to move, to grasp. you have to have some form of motor control from your mid spine to your hips. Many don't even have connective tissue the whole way down. Does bone now function in place of muscle with zombies? I'm approaching the point where I may not be able to enjoy it even for the guilty pleasure it is because my damned logic is getting in the way. If the bubble bursts, it'll be due the sheer absurdity that the show or comic reaches where a majority of readers/viewers are like "Ok that just doesn't make any more sense to me and I'm out!."

There is no logic when it comes to the zombie apocalypse. If Spiderman can swing from a web from building to building or a man can change to a giant green monster called the hulk....I think we can stretch our imagination to the believe zombies can last a long time.

The conic book has officially jumped the shark. Kill all the characters. Did Kirkman get lucky stealing Romero's work?

At what point did it officially "Jump the Shark"? It's an interesting comment... and I just wondered at what point people believe the comic has turned a corner that signaled its decline... and if it's something people agree on.