• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

Unless the guy is a first time buyer and wants it bad. Otherwise its an out an out schill.

My only thing with this book is what if it turns into this generations Turtles, or 181 ect 10.15. 20 years down the road. It has already had a cultural impact and if it hits the big screen who knows.

Its easy to say sell now but can anyone really say what it will be worth down the road? 20 - 25 years from now? Limited copies not millions like Marvel titles. Also much of the younger audience pre teens, teens, college age can not afford @ 2k for the book. But give it the rule of 25 years and maybe they will want to reaquire a piece of there childhood cultural americana. Then what is it worth?

I'd tried to sell my last copy on here from $1700 and got crickets. For $1700 I can just put it away and see what happens long term.

Yep, I am sure thousands of today's youth will wake up in 20 years and be nostalgic for a zombie comic book that the show they watched was based on... This notion is beyond ludicrous.

Walking Dead does not equal Superman, Batman, Spider-Man...hell it doesn't even equal Wolverine or Deadpool.

Once the show is gone, so will be demand for the comic.

People can want otherwise, but it just isn't logical. This isn't a hero, it's a story about zombies killing people.

I would strongly suggest you take a course in reading comprehension. Where did I say anything about the ratings? I was referring to the story and it appears a lot of people and critics agree with me; starting with its downfall several years ago. If you like it you are welcome to disagree. See these links to your one:

http://spectator.org/blog/56454/declining-walking-dead

(The Declining Walking Dead)

http://www.contactmusic.com/opinion/amc-the-walking-dead-review-season-4-episode-9-criticism_4062479

(Disappointment in season 4)

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/walking-dead-is-highly-overrated-31611142/

(Walking Dead is highly overrated)

When responding try to understand that not everyone has an agenda. I had high hopes for this season, but sadly I no longer watch. I can say the same about this season of American Horror Story. Would you like to attack me on that subject as well?

Interesting hm

It is funny you say critics are turning on the show. I've actually been surprised by all the praise the show has received lately. Right now Metacritic has it at an 80:

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-walking-dead/season-5

Entertainment Weekly says best season so far:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/11/walking-dead-best-season-ever/

Vox.com (never heard of them) had this to say:

"I can't believe I'm writing this, but The Walking Dead is one of the best shows of 2014"

http://www.vox.com/2014/12/1/7314439/walking-dead-finale

This reviewer even mentions he disliked season 4 but now is enjoying season 5:

"In contrast to his predecessors, Scott M. Gimple, the showrunner since Season 4, is getting nothing but praise. And deservedly so. I stand by everything I wrote a few weeks back: The Walking Dead has been shockingly good so far this year."

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/walking-dead-2014-midseason-finale-recap/

Most of the reviews I'm reading of the season are praising the success of the show. It is curious that your review choices were more from the niche market that would probably include more comic fans than the ones I linked.

Personally, I feel the show has huge peaks and valleys. I hate the way they split the show off and tell other stories. I'm truly only interested in Rick and I feel the split focus just doesn't work. It was what drove me crazy about last season.

However, I think a lot of my criticism of the show is because of my love for the book. Talking to none comic readers, they love it! My wife loves the show. I have coworkers that love the show. Clearly from the ratings, people love the show.

I'm not sure I'd say it is losing steam by any stretch of the imagination.

And this is your opinion. So let me ask you something. How come you are entitled to your opinion, but when I present mine "I am talking out my ***?"

Interesting how your mind works.

One of those opinions is backed up by ratings and one is not.

Yep, I am sure thousands of today's youth will wake up in 20 years and be nostalgic for a zombie comic book that the show they watched was based on... This notion is beyond ludicrous.

I'd bet people said the same thing about Spawn.

Only time will tell.

-slym

Really?! :sorry:

I think TWD is so much more of a phenomenon than the TV show. I feel like it brought so many new readers to comics that hadn't ever had any interest in comics in the past and/or brought back readers that left in the 90's.

It created so much more interest in non-superhero comics and led publishers and writers to start scripting terrific stories that might not otherwise have been published. There's a reason why there are countless listings on eBay with "The next Walking Dead!" in the listing. :D

I think TWD #1 will be such a historically important book in the history of comics long after the show has ended just as FF #1 will have a place in history. 2c That is why I was so happy to own one and don't pay attention to the price fluctuations. It's in the collection and not going anywhere! :headbang:

Only time will tell.

-slym

Spawn is a singular character, Walking Dead is a story about a bunch of different people all eventually being killed.

Also, Spawn is no longer popular and hasn't been for some time now...

I remember when the X Files was wildly popular on television. For a while, the comics were hot also. This was long before CGC. Anyway, I can't remember the last time I even heard the X-Files mentioned, let alone the comics. I'm not saying this will happen to the Walking Dead, I'm just saying.

Edited by bomber-bob

I think TWD is so much more of a phenomenon than the TV show. I feel like it brought so many new readers to comics that hadn't ever had any interest in comics in the past and/or brought back readers that left in the 90's.

It created so much more interest in non-superhero comics and led publishers and writers to start scripting terrific stories that might not otherwise have been published. There's a reason why there are countless listings on eBay with "The next Walking Dead!" in the listing. :D

I think TWD #1 will be such a historically important book in the history of comics long after the show has ended just as FF #1 will have a place in history. 2c That is why I was so happy to own one and don't pay attention to the price fluctuations. It's in the collection and not going anywhere! :headbang:

Are you really comparing Walking Dead to Fantastic Four? Come on, even drunk on a Sunday that is beyond a stretch.

People are way over-selling its "importance" as a comic book series. It isn't the second coming of Christ of comic books...

Without the show, the book wouldn't be worth a tenth of what it is right now. Once the show is gone, the book won't be worth a tenth of what it is right now.

Are you really comparing Walking Dead to Fantastic Four? Come on, even drunk on a Sunday that is beyond a stretch.

People are way over-selling its "importance" as a comic book series. It isn't the second coming of Christ of comic books...

Without the show, the book wouldn't be worth a tenth of what it is right now. Once the show is gone, the book won't be worth a tenth of what it is right now.

I beg to differ,and think swick is right on the money in his assessments.

Only time will tell.

-slym

Spawn is a singular character, Walking Dead is a story about a bunch of different people all eventually being killed.

Two words for you

Rick Grimes

I usually agree with a lot of what he says as well, but this only is silly to me.

A story about a bunch of people being brutally murdered is not going to win the hearts and minds of generations to come. It is an interesting story best reserved for adult readers and will exit stage left when original plot elements can no longer be created out of people being torn to pieces by zombies or betrayed and slaughtered by the other humans attempting to survive.

There have been many other things (that were far more popular and far reaching) that have come and gone.

Comic books that stand the test of time are ones where the central characters capture, delight, inspire and amaze youth. Walking Dead just doesn't cut the muster.

Edited by rfoiii

Only time will tell.

-slym

Two words for you

Rick Grimes

meh

I read the books too and he isn't Spiderman.

For those who put the WD down, I'll give you my perspective.

I'm a marvel superhero fan through and through. But I've never read the entire run of some of my favorite characters. Iron Man being one where I love the character but there are some really bad stories in the run here and there. Good ones too but I've never been so interested in the story to read issue after issue to know the story. In many cases, superhero arcs are short or not even the same story issue to issue.

The walking dead hooked me from issue 1 and I've read the entire run (have not missed an issue.

That's not just some boring zombie apocalypse comic. There is more to it then that...a lot more

I put my money where my mouth is also, I own a 9.6 black label #1 and don't plan on letting it go anytime soon. :)

Interesting point re. the X-Files.

I was obsessed with the show in high school, and remember when # 1 and 2 were both solid $20+ books.

Hadn't thought about it in a year, and last weekend I found (and passed on buying) a copy of # 2 for $.99.

For those who put the WD down, I'll give you my perspective.

I'm a marvel superhero fan through and through. But I've never read the entire run of some of my favorite characters. Iron Man being one where I love the character but there are some really bad stories in the run here and there. Good ones too but I've never been so interested in the story to read issue after issue to know the story. In man cases, superhero arcs are short or not even the same story issue to issue.

The walking dead hooked me from issue 1 and I've read the entire run (have not missed an issue.

That's not just some boring zombie apocalypse comic. There is more to it then that...a lot more

I put my money where my mouth is also, I own a 9.6 black label #1 and don't plan on letting it go anytime soon. :)

Two things:

1) Reading and being a fan of the stories is not that same as believing it is the sole reason comics still exist (which is part of the argument being throw about right now)

2) If you really are such a believer, why own only a lowly 9.6? With such a disproportionate number of the comics in 9.8 (versus other "popular" books), why wouldn't you really put your money where your mouth is?

Edited by rfoiii

I usually agree with a lot of what he says as well, but this only is silly to me.

A story about a bunch of people being brutally murdered is not going to win the hearts and minds of generations to come. It is an interesting best reserved for adult readers and will exit stage left when original plot elements can no longer be created out of people being torn to pieces by zombies or betrayed and slaughtered by the other humans attempting to survive.

There have been many other things (that were far more popular and far reaching) that have come and gone.

Comic books that stand the test of time are ones where the central characters capture, delight, inspire and amaze youth. Walking Dead just doesn't cut the muster.

Yeah on the surface,it's just a bunch of guys killing zombies.There's also and underlining to this story as well,strength,perseverance, family,yes and love.Many multi facets to this story.

It has become a cultural icon.