• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

Just throwing this out there...

Heroes on NBC had higher AVERAGE ratings than The Walking Dead Season 3 Finale.

In 2008, CGC 9.8 copies of Heroes #1 (9th Wonders) Wizard World Con 2006 sold for $200+ with a high of $399.

The CGC census for all Heroes books in all grades combined is lower than Walking Dead #1 in CGC 9.8.

The most recent sale was $69.

Heroes on NBC had higher ratings than The Walking Dead.

In 2008, CGC 9.8 copies of Heroes #1 (9th Wonders) Wizard World Con 2006 sold for $200+ with a high of $399.

The CGC census for all Heroes books in all grades combined is lower than Walking Dead #1 in CGC 9.8.

Heroes was a mini series comic book though and the comic was based on the TV show not the other way around. I don't think thats a great comparison.

Heroes was a mini series comic book though and the comic was based on the TV show not the other way around. I don't think thats a great comparison.

Sorry VM, I have to agree

Correct: not all bubbles are the same

And no, I don't get your point regarding radio active isotope decay hm

And no, I'm not trying to be a smart *spoon* - just trying to say that

(1) demand outstrips supply here (ECO101)

(2) TWD property has multiple drivers of the #1 value (or perceived value)

(3) until the demand is met on the market, prices will remain relatively constant (many variables determine straight auction prices : who's on the market that moment, budget, time of the year, perception, the seller, etc.)

I was, the isotope example was a smart *spoon* response. :grin:

I get it, there are a ton of people who want this book right now. I also know that when demand outpaces supply, prices increase. rantrant

I can honestly see this book climbing as long as the TV show is on, or if there is ever a movie. But just like Lost before it, intrigue will run-out and people will be left holding the bag.

IMO, there is no central character(s) that will endure 5, 10 or +20 years from now to make the book hold worth long-term. A low print-run is a plus, but when you can say there are 482 9.8s in the census (6.6% of total and counting - more than ANY other grade), that tells you something...

It isn't a question or why or how the book where it is; I think that is common knowledge. The question is when will it burst?

Edited by rfoiii

but when you can say there are 482 9.8s in the census (6.6% of total and counting), that tells you something...

It tells me that there (1) must not be that many more high grade raws out there or (2) the people that have them are not interested in selling/slabbing them.

The point is valid...

Heroes had higher AVERAGE ratings than Walking Dead.

Heroes featured comic books IN the show... most Walking Dead viewers don't even know it IS a comic.

People got tired of Heroes.

The show was cancelled.

The comics plummeted.

Walking Dead #1 won't ever be $69, but it cannot sustain its current popularity.

When popularity falls, prices fall.

People could easily lose half their investment. In this case, that's four figures.

but when you can say there are 482 9.8s in the census (6.6% of total and counting), that tells you something...

It tells me that there (1) must not be that many more high grade raws out there or (2) the people that have them are not interested in selling/slabbing them.

OR, there are dozens sitting in the back of comic shops where owners submit them one $1,500 paycheck at a time...

To the point though, what this should tell you is that there are MANY more out there. The reason that there are so many tells you that it is easy to obtain...

The point is valid...

Heroes featured comic books IN the show... most Walking Dead viewers don't even know it IS a comic.

The show was cancelled.

The comics plummeted.

Walking Dead #1 won't ever be $69, but it cannot sustain its current popularity.

People could easily lose half their investment. In this case, that's four figures.

Agreed, best applicable example presented so far.

:takeit:

To the point though, what this should tell you is that there are MANY more out there. The reason that there are so many tells you that it is easy to obtain...

Maybe, but I doubt there are an abundance of shops/individuals holding volume on this book. If there are, and you are reading this, sell now lol

If someone had volume and was waiting for a $1500-$2500 book to become a $3000-$4000 book, that would be sillier than the silliest silly person around.

Maybe, but I doubt there are an abundance of shops/individuals holding volume on this book. If there are, and you are reading this, sell now lol

If someone had volume and was waiting for a $1500-$2500 book to become a $3000-$4000 book, that would be sillier than the silliest silly person around.

I just meant that they could only sell one $1,500 book in their store or online at a time. Many more and you would deflate your own pricing...

The point is valid...

The show was cancelled.

The comics plummeted.

Generally I agree with this, but some TV related books are stubborn, especially if the show has cult status ( which I don't doubt TWD will). Look at Mystery Tales #40, which still fetches ridiculous prices, even in low grade because it was featured on Lost, and Catwoman 51 still gets relatively high dollars, even in advertised less than nm raw because it featured numbers from the show on the cover. Eventually the prices will drop, but the show ended three years ago.

The point is valid...

The show was cancelled.

The comics plummeted.

Generally I agree with this, but some TV related books are stubborn, especially if the show has cult status ( which I don't doubt TWD will). Look at Mystery Tales #40, which still fetches ridiculous prices, even in low grade because it was featured on Lost, and Catwoman 51 still gets relatively high dollars, even in advertised less than nm raw because it featured numbers from the show on the cover. Eventually the prices will drop, but the show ended three years ago.

While it is apparent that the speed which a comic falls from grace is not always equivalent to its meteoritic rise, I am not sure your examples are a good representation of "holding value."

I know these were relevant to the show, but there is almost no GPA data on them... How popular can they be with so few recorded electronic sales? Where have you seen recent sales?

Many times prices on these books linger for years while people try to recoup as much of their loss as possible, even though actual market sales pale in comparison. This is most easily seen with dealers at cons, web-sites and other low overhead retailers will hold on to them try to sell them for more than they are worth claiming "rare" or citing previous values (insert groan here).

However, I could be wrong about these two books...

If heroes was a comic before it was a tv show with 60 plus issues under its belt before the first episode aired, im willing to bet the first issue would be a collectible.

Maybe, but I doubt it. There just isn't anything of substance to WD (or Heroes/Lost for that matter). What gives ALL successful comics long-term big value is the characters they feature. Without a great title character that reaches out to millions of people (beginning with children/kids), you don't have anything but a fad.

Heroes, Lost, Walking Dead - all great examples of shows/movies that drew large audiences and popularity while available. They air, grow tired and fizzle away with a "pop" instead of a "bang." Minor, lack-luster characters and circular plot lines were common in all three.

Star Trek and Star Wars - great examples of shows/movies that inspired generations and created a fandom that is routed in childhood and expressed in adult purchase power. Epic characters defined these genre(s).