• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The BIGGEST problems in the hobby right now

474 posts in this topic

I've found that if you have a couple of Jolly Ranchers in your mouth, you can lick the piece and stick it back on without tape.

I don't think CGC considers this restoration.

After your use of the word frot I'm afraid to guess what your idea of a Jolly Rancher is.

I've found that if you have a couple of Jolly Ranchers in your mouth, you can lick the piece and stick it back on without tape.

Will this service be available at SDCC?

I find it sad that I'd have to take a piece of regular tape, instead of archival tape to put back the corner i just knocked off my old book.

There was a time, I'd cut a tiny sliver and VOILA, I had a whole cover...but nooooo...not

since joining this board, I was cautioned as to what a disaster that would be (thank you Andy :foryou:) ...now I have envelopes...with the corners in them, that I slide in the back of the plastic cover...so some other person can tape the corner back on, if I sell my toy.

It's pretty easy to knock off corners or create spine splits if you... :o read them...

When I was a kid, I was a real criminal...I actually used DIFFERENT COLOR tape, because I thought it made them look pretty, lol and glitter and nail polish :devil:

Sometimes, it seems that these "comics" have become objets D'art, rather than the books they were once meant to be...

Now I certainly understand it with investments...and to each his own...but just allow

safe tape and note it, and all will be fine.

hmWhat flavor, I guess you can't use the red ones, it might be considered candy

touch...;)?

I find it sad that I'd have to take a piece of regular tape, instead of archival tape to put back the corner i just knocked off my old book.

There was a time, I'd cut a tiny sliver and VOILA, I had a whole cover...but nooooo...not

since joining this board, I was cautioned as to what a disaster that would be (thank you Andy :foryou:) ...now I have envelopes...with the corners in them, that I slide in the back of the plastic cover...so some other person can tape the corner back on, if I sell my toy.

It's pretty easy to knock off corners or create spine splits if you... :o read them...

When I was a kid, I was a real criminal...I actually used DIFFERENT COLOR tape, because I thought it made them look pretty, lol and glitter and nail polish :devil:

Sometimes, it seems that these "comics" have become objets D'art, rather than the books they were once meant to be...

Now I certainly understand it with investments...and to each his own...but just allow

safe tape and note it, and all will be fine.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Yes, in an era in which comics are being encased in plastic so they can't be read, pancaked until there are barely any old ultra high grade books left with spines as fresh as when they came off the rack, collected as if they are covers only, collected for their investment potential only, submitted for third party grading so often that increasing numbers of them sport labels they don't deserve, sold at auctions under closed bidding systems that don't identify the bidders and also don't protect them, bought solely for their structural grade and not also the beauty of their eye appeal,

and at a time when the new comic print market shrinks every year as it approaches an inexorable marginalization if not outright death,

it's all about the tape.

Yes, in an era in which comics are being encased in plastic so they can't be read, pancaked until there are barely any old ultra high grade books left with spines as fresh as when they came off the rack, collected as if they are covers only, collected for their investment potential only, submitted for third party grading so often that increasing numbers of them sport labels they don't deserve, sold at auctions under closed bidding systems that don't identify the bidders and also don't protect them,

and at a time when the new comic print market shrinks every year as it approaches an inexorable marginalization if not outright death,

it's all about the tape.

i read this and hear Metallica's Sad but True playing in my head.

Anyone who puts tape on a valuable comic to try to game the system can't be much of a.comic collector considering what they are doing will inevitable decay and further damage the book. I spent a fortune getting scotch tape removed from a book and from that day forward I will never buy a book with tape on it again. CGC should take the high road, bite the bullet and change their policy. Not to do so only erodes their credibility IMHO, by perpetuating a farce that is costing collectors plenty in the end.

Yes, in an era in which comics are being encased in plastic so they can't be read,

pancaked until there are barely any old ultra high grade books left with spines as fresh as when they came off the rack,

collected as if they are covers only, collected for their investment potential only,

submitted for third party grading so often that increasing numbers of them sport labels they don't deserve,

sold at auctions under closed bidding systems that don't identify the bidders and also don't protect them,

bought solely for their structural grade and not also the beauty of their eye appeal,

it's all about the tape.

Pessimistic much?

Yes, in an era in which comics are being encased in plastic so they can't be read, pancaked until there are barely any old ultra high grade books left with spines as fresh as when they came off the rack, collected as if they are covers only, collected for their investment potential only, submitted for third party grading so often that increasing numbers of them sport labels they don't deserve, sold at auctions under closed bidding systems that don't identify the bidders and also don't protect them, bought solely for their structural grade and not also the beauty of their eye appeal,

it's all about the tape.

That's depressing....can I stick my head back in the sand now? :(

Yes, in an era in which comics are being encased in plastic so they can't be read,

pancaked until there are barely any old ultra high grade books left with spines as fresh as when they came off the rack,

collected as if they are covers only, collected for their investment potential only,

submitted for third party grading so often that increasing numbers of them sport labels they don't deserve,

sold at auctions under closed bidding systems that don't identify the bidders and also don't protect them,

bought solely for their structural grade and not also the beauty of their eye appeal,

it's all about the tape.

Realistic much?

Fixed :devil:

Anyone who puts tape on a valuable comic to try to game the system can't be much of a.comic collector considering what they are doing will inevitable decay and further damage the book. I spent a fortune getting scotch tape removed from a book and from that day forward I will never buy a book with tape on it again. CGC should take the high road, bite the bullet and change their policy. Not to do so only erodes their credibility IMHO, by perpetuating a farce that is costing collectors plenty in the end.

My problem with it is that some of the best, most important, most historically significant books in the hobby for a short sighted money grab.

Is there anyone who wouldn't rather have a Superman #1 with a spine sealed up with rice paper or archival tape, than scotch tape?

The problems will really start when money no longer exchanges hands. As long as a market exists and people are willing to get their fix: collectors, dealers, flippers, pressers, rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, -kickers and Methodists will spend money to buy the best possible books, or the books with the greatest potential.

When that well dries up all the tape, pressing or color touch in the world will help it.

The problems will really start when money no longer exchanges hands. As long as a market exists and people are willing to get their fix: collectors, dealers, flippers, pressers, rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, -kickers and Methodists will spend money to buy the best possible books, or the books with the greatest potential.

When that well dries up all the tape, pressing or color touch in the world will help it.

You had me at hornswoggler :foryou:

The problems will really start when money no longer exchanges hands. As long as a market exists and people are willing to get their fix: collectors, dealers, flippers, pressers, rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, -kickers and Methodists

Mongo like candy.