• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boy Comics
3 3

278 posts in this topic

i have only one, having sold my okajima copy of 20 to jamie.

Boy24-2.jpg

Great copy!

I was just looking at this issue earlier today. The scene on the cover does take place in the comic, but in the story, Crimebuster isn't there to save the day. So the intern crushes/suffocates the girl by ratcheting the straitjacket tighter and tighter. :sick:

Charlie Biro!

boy24.jpg

I got my camera working, so I thought I'd post a few of my decidedly lower grade copies. Most of the collecting interest in Boy Comics seems to be in the earlier issues, which is understandable. But I have a soft spot for the end of the run as well, when it became more of a boys adventure series. Here's one of the very, very few covers drawn by anyone other than Charles Biro.

Boy Comics #116, with cover and interior art by the master, Joe Kubert:

boy116.jpg

Edited by Crimebuster

i have only one, having sold my okajima copy of 20 to jamie.

Boy24-2.jpg

But you have one of the best covers among the first 25 issues… :)

Although they are often a departure from the actual stories inside, we were talking right now about this with CB, as he already pointed out. :)

And a NM 9.8 with white pages is pretty insane on those. Wow. I have the impression paper is worse as the United States entered the war, my Daredevil #6 (cover date: December 1941) has really nice paper.

Edited by vaillant

Seems like a lot of mental illness and suicide issues in Boy

Hmm… No, basically Biro (in each and every one of his creations) tried to bring every darker side of human behavior to the light.

This is fascinating compared to the role played by freudian psychology in american post-war culture. Biro was very optimistic in portraying redemption, but at the same time showed evil as evil, no matter the mystery surrounding it.

Airboy, for example, presents himself as a really tough teenage character, sometimes with little to no compassion. Crimebuster is better… :)

3163691578_fe5b72e770.jpg

I still have this patriotic cover but sold my copy of this Iron Jaw cover.

This scan belongs to someone else but I owned a copy for over 20 years.

2943748941_2a54ef44d3.jpg

I have several others and enjoy the Rocky X scifi stories in the later issues.

Edited by BB-Gun

DAFUQ?

Never seen that cover before. Even in the 40's I didn't think it was funny to smack down on the cripples.

Boy19FC.jpg

Well, with most of the major league baseball players fighting overseas, pushing cripples in front of trains was one of the only sports the people on the home front really had left.

Seriously, though, while I certainly support the handicapped community, I don't think pushing a double amputee in front of a train is necessarily worse than, say, feeding a live woman to caged rats:

SAM_0276.jpg

It's not necessarily better, either, but... Charlie Biro!

This scan belongs to someone else but I owned a copy for over 20 years.

2943748941_2a54ef44d3.jpg

This reminds me, I have a question for anyone out there who owns a copy of Boy Comics #11. My copy is missing a page at the centerfold. It's not the whole wrap; someone actually cut a page out with a straight razor. it doesn't appear to affect any of the stories, though, so I assume it's either a pinup or perhaps the text story, which at the time was usually Daredevil.

Can anyone confirm what's show at the centerfold of Boy Comics #11? It would be the left page when looking at the centerfold.

I have several others and enjoy the Rocky X scifi stories in the later issues.

Rocky X was an interesting series, particulary the fact that it started off as a sci-fi adventure with Rocky and his pals careening around alien worlds -- and then somehow turned into a commie scare strip, with Rocky and his pals as government agents working in Korea to combat the Chinese menace. Now that's some flexibility for you. On the other hand, it almost kind of made sense as Rocky X's first big battle was against The Claw.

3163691578_fe5b72e770.jpg

I still have this patriotic cover.....

For a minute there, I thought this was the Church copy of Boy Comics #17! lol

Now, that was a real doozie of a unforgettable thread and the only other one that was probably directed related to Boy Comics. Maybe we don't want to go there as this one seems to be a lot more fun and comic book related. (thumbs u

DAFUQ?

Never seen that cover before. Even in the 40's I didn't think it was funny to smack down on the cripples.

I don’t think it was a question of being "fun". Biro tried to stir awareness on each and every subject he treated in the stories. The more or less shocking covers representede a scene, more or less extremized compared to the story content.

Maybe they weren’t so fine for children but, again, the consciousness, and thus the Comics Code, was yet to come. "Crime does not pay", however, is more problematic, on how you should draw the line between artistic representation and excessively disturbing imagery.

My only copy of the title - when I was on my Hitler, Mussolini, Tojo collecting focus.

3c7d64fe.jpg

I don’t seem to recall the inside story is related, so it’s basically the cover depicting them, right?

DAFUQ?

Boy19FC.jpg

Well, with most of the major league baseball players fighting overseas, pushing cripples in front of trains was one of the only sports the people on the home front really had left.

Seriously, though, while I certainly support the handicapped community, I don't think pushing a double amputee in front of a train is necessarily worse than, say, feeding a live woman to caged rats:

It's not necessarily better, either, but... Charlie Biro!

I have a copy of this issue, and the story that goes with the cover involves a guy who kills his amputee friend in order to inherit the friend's fortune, but then he finds that he'll only receive the inheritance if he ever loses his legs, so......he has an unethical doctor amputate his legs. His life goes even further downhill from there.

Well I enjoyed the Sniffer & the Deadly Dozen vs Iron Jaw humor era- used to buy them coverless for a penny apiece from an always-full shopping cart in front of an old bookstore in San Diego when I was a pre-teen & young teen... (early-mid 1960s)

but really wanted to address the below & reiterate plea for help as this sounds a lot like the curious practice that sometimes publishers performed of cutting out one side (ie 2 pages) of a 4 pg sheet... and may hence be a complete copy...

"This reminds me, I have a question for anyone out there who owns a copy of Boy Comics #11. My copy is missing a page at the centerfold. It's not the whole wrap; someone actually cut a page out with a straight razor. it doesn't appear to affect any of the stories, though, so I assume it's either a pinup or perhaps the text story, which at the time was usually Daredevil.

Can anyone confirm what's show at the centerfold of Boy Comics #11? It would be the left page when looking at the centerfold."

img2880.jpg

DAFUQ?

Boy19FC.jpg

Actually the amputee is fleeing. He's the bad guy in the story.

DAFUQ?

Boy19FC.jpg

Actually the amputee is fleeing. He's the bad guy in the story.

Hmm. I don't think so, though there are two amputees in this story, so it's a little hard to say. But since the first amputee gets shoved in front of a train at the beginning of the story, I assumed that was the scene being depicted on the cover. The second amputee is the guy that dies by being tossed around the room like a football.

Or maybe this is just a third hard luck amputee!

Later issues of Boy Comics are pretty easy to find, but slightly more difficult to track down is this short-lived -- and ill-advised -- spinoff:

squeeks1.jpg

It's all some very unfunny "funny animal" stuff. What's really weird is that Squeeks can talk and lives in an anthropomorphic world filled with talking animals, while at the same time over in Boy Comics, he's just an unusually smart trained monkey. Plus, in this title, he's kind of a person_too_unaware_of_social_graces, as these have a very violent "Tom & Jerry" quality to them. It's a head scratcher and no wonder the series only lasted a handful of issues.