• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boy Comics
3 3

278 posts in this topic

I don't know if I will actually manage to pull this off, but I have decided to create a new issue of Boy Comics. Since it's all in the public domain and nobody else seems to be doing it - which continues to surprise me! - I'm going to try to write, draw and publish Boy Comics #120 myself.

I'm not actually an artist, so no guarantees at all that it won't suck. It very well might. I'm also not sure how long it's going to take me - I'm guessing at least six months, and that's assuming I even finish it at all. But it seems like a fun project to try in my spare time, even though I can probably count on one hand the number of copies this will sell if I ever finish it.

If anyone is interested, I've started in a journal in the journal section following my progress.

I must be completely mad. :facepalm:

Sounds like a fantastic project...look forward to the results.

Good luck!

mm

I don't know if I will actually manage to pull this off, but I have decided to create a new issue of Boy Comics. Since it's all in the public domain and nobody else seems to be doing it - which continues to surprise me! - I'm going to try to write, draw and publish Boy Comics #120 myself.

I'm not actually an artist, so no guarantees at all that it won't suck. It very well might. I'm also not sure how long it's going to take me - I'm guessing at least six months, and that's assuming I even finish it at all. But it seems like a fun project to try in my spare time, even though I can probably count on one hand the number of copies this will sell if I ever finish it.

If anyone is interested, I've started in a journal in the journal section following my progress.

I must be completely mad. :facepalm:

Sounds like a fantastic project...look forward to the results.

Good luck!

mm

+1! Good luck man!

Where is the "journal section"?

Hey, I did not know Mel Ramos did that CB painting… I recalled the image and then realized it was used on that music album cover (I did not listen to Rage Against the Machine). Very curious!

Years ago they did a personal art exhibition of Mel Ramos' works here in Modena, within the building of our own Public Park:

http://www.cuboimages.it/getImageBin.asp?filename=BER0571.JPG

Oh, I should have been more clear - I meant the journal section of the CGC forums here, not something on my Boy Comics website.

Here's a direct link:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7500952#Post7500952

I'll probably add something about this to the Boy Comics site once I complete the cover.

Received this in the mail today from ebay:

number7.jpg

It's got just about everything wrong with it that a comic could possibly have - spine completely split, rusty staples, brittle pages, massive cover tear - yet it somehow presents very nicely anyway. And the price was right. Thanks to this being an Axis cover, I expected to pay at least $200 for a copy in any condition, but I got this copy for $55 shipped. That will do until I get super rich and can afford high grade copies of everything.

Received this in the mail today from ebay:

number7.jpg

It's got just about everything wrong with it that a comic could possibly have - spine completely split, rusty staples, brittle pages, massive cover tear - yet it somehow presents very nicely anyway. And the price was right. Thanks to this being an Axis cover, I expected to pay at least $200 for a copy in any condition, but I got this copy for $55 shipped. That will do until I get super rich and can afford high grade copies of everything.

:headbang: Very cool man (thumbs u

:hi: Claudio and Jimmy...thanks guys yeah I am pretty pleased with this book...it reads well and the main cover art is not really affected by the books shortcomings (corners)...BTW really sweet stuff you got going on over there in your journal with Boy Comics #120 Crimebuster!!! :applause:

Thanks to the eagle eye of boardie rjpb, it recently came to my attention that Crimebuster stories from Boy Comics were published for a number of years in Argentina in a title called Justy.

Not only was Crimebuster in this anthology, he was actually the lead feature, with Justy being the new name the Argentinian publisher gave the character.

In addition, every issue apparently featured a brand new cover, never published in America!

I'm not sure exactly how long the title ran, but it seemed to span the entirety of the 1950's and into the early 60's, long after Boy Comics had been cancelled here.

I have just received two issues of Justy from a gentleman in Argentina. He had several more, but unfrtouantely I'm strapped for cash and this was all I could muster. It's too bad, because there are some seriously cool covers on these comics, much cooler for the most part than the covers Biro was doing in the later years.

Here's the awesome cover for Justy #38, which came out in 1955:

justy.jpg

And the inside front cover:

justy-3.jpg

Here's a fantastic cover for Special #1 (I think - it might be Special #2) from 1956:

justy-2.jpg

The back cover:

justy-4.jpg

Inside front cover:

justy-5.jpg

There are a number of issues relatively cheap still on ebay from the same seller. I looked through a couple and while I recgonize the stories in most, or at least the artists, there was one issue from 1960 that looked like it may have been an original story done by the Argentinan publisher. I'm not sure, I'd have to look into it further, but it was a Curtiss Tech era story, but with art that didn't quite look right for that time period; it certainly wasn't by Joe Kubert.

Very exciting stuff! Hopefully I'll get more of these some day. Thanks again to rjpb for the heads up.

Edited by Crimebuster

3163691578_fe5b72e770.jpg

I still have this patriotic cover but sold my copy of this Iron Jaw cover.

This scan belongs to someone else but I owned a copy for over 20 years.

2943748941_2a54ef44d3.jpg

I have several others and enjoy the Rocky X scifi stories in the later issues.

I mentioned that I had a copy for 30 years but sold it and purchased this Billy Cloke cover.

The other two copies are facsimiles with Boy 3 and 5 interiors I think.

14526885364_f3ddf98dbe_b.jpg

Cement shoes (bondage & torture c/story):

:cool: Nothing like a wholesome 50s comic for kids

That's also a very early atomic bomb cover. I believe the On Sale date was some time in October, 1945.

The story inside is about as brutal as the cover suggests. There's a panel where a cop gets shot in the face.

Edited by Crimebuster