• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Way to Store Key Cgc Graded Comics

55 posts in this topic

I keep my most expensive slabs in a safe in my basement. I keep a dehumidifier running in the same room because that's where my pantry is as well.

In the safe itself, I keep five of these in there.

4164erZav0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Link to product

Haven't had problem yet with rust on any metal surface.

I find that magazine holders work very well for raw and slabbed books.

IMG00388-20110402-2035.jpg

I've always liked that pic :cloud9:

The fact that you havent filled in the little tabs to tell you EXACTLY what issues are in each holder does make my OCD twitch though :blush:

I've also got this for like $30 when Borders went out of business. It was a map display case and they had like 5 of them but by the time i got around to going there, this was the only unsold one. I drove to every Borders within 50 miles the next few days but all the other stores had already sold theirs as well. I would have KILLED to get like 2-3 more :pullhair:

cr5.jpg

Over time gravity will cause the bottom edge of the book to push against the inner well. Books with overhang especially should not be stored standing up this way.

So, would you recommend stacking them flat? hm

I've also got this for like $30 when Borders went out of business. It was a map display case and they had like 5 of them but by the time i got around to going there, this was the only unsold one. I drove to every Borders within 50 miles the next few days but all the other stores had already sold theirs as well. I would have KILLED to get like 2-3 more :pullhair:

cr5.jpg

Over time gravity will cause the bottom edge of the book to push against the inner well. Books with overhang especially should not be stored standing up this way.

So, would you recommend stacking them flat? hm

I'm curious how you know this? Has CGC been around long enough for us to see damage in a standing up book? Isn't that the same way I store my books in bags and boards in a box? How it any different?

Please explain...

I've shown those pics a few different times in the last year. At various times, people whose opinions i trust have told me to NOT store them flat, NOT store them on their side and now NOT standing up (shrug)

Has anyone actually ever seen true damage to the extent it would lower the grade or appearance based on storing them upright, vertical or horizontal? hm

I store mine in the plastic CGC boxes available at bagsunlimited.

I simply put the slab in a Mylar envelope (from CGCmylars@eBay) and store them upright in the plastic box. Then they are tucked away in my dark closet.

I don't think storing the slabs upright will damage them in anyway. I think that entire notion is a bit overboard. As long as they aren't subjected to vibration or impact, I don't see much possibility from damage - at least no more than one would see in a regular bag with a backing board.

Just seems a bit paranoid to me...and unfounded.

I've shown those pics a few different times in the last year. At various times, people whose opinions i trust have told me to NOT store them flat, NOT store them on their side and now NOT standing up (shrug)

Has anyone actually ever seen true damage to the extent it would lower the grade or appearance based on storing them upright, vertical or horizontal? hm

Not to store them on the reader edge side. I see what Joeypost saying. Thought I doubt anyone has seen the extent of improper storage.

I'm VERY close to ditching all the CGC bags. I still have the top row of my bookshelf(my early Avengers Pedigrees) in bags but even those are about to go soon. You wouldnt think it but they do take up a decent amount of room. those shelves hold about 75-80 slabs depending on how many of the larger Annual size slabs there are. Without having them in bags, i can fit 2-3 more slabs per shelf. It might not seem like much but it adds up (shrug)

Not to store them on the reader edge side. I see what Joeypost saying. Thought I doubt anyone has seen the extent of improper storage.

I dunno, he says: "Books with overhang especially should not be stored standing up this way."

I took "standing up" to mean vertical, like the books at the top of the display in sufunk's picture. Maybe joeypost will stop by again and clarify.

I dunno, he says: "Books with overhang especially should not be stored standing up this way."

I took "standing up" to mean vertical, like the books at the top of the display in sufunk's picture. Maybe joeypost will stop by again and clarify.

I took it that way as well. CGC used to directly promote boxes from Bill Cole that stored CGC books vertically like this, so I wonder if they even share this opinion about vertical storage. (shrug)hm

I lay the book down on its spine edge. If a book has any overhang I never, ever would store it upright. Many people store that way but I routinely see nightmares where the edge that has overhang curls back down over itself and gives the top edge of the book a ragged look.