• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Way to Store Key Cgc Graded Comics

55 posts in this topic

Hello everybody. I have been building a nice collection of CGC slabbed books. I want to know how everybody stores theirs? AF 15, Hulk 1 Etc. File Cabinet? CGC plastic boxes? Any and all idea appreciated.

thanks

Have a look at the thread....

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!

Its a long thread but towards the end there are a few examples of guys using magazine holders to store slabs that look neat.

I always assumed that storing them upright -- as with bagged comics -- would be best. hm

It probably is but if i did that, i'd need like 5 bookcases instead of 2. Also, there would be no way to know what book is what if they are upright. The way i have them, if i want to pull out Avengers 73, it takes me 2 seconds to find it. If they were upright, i'd have to guesstimate where avengers 73 is and start pulling out books to try and find it. My ocd wouldnt like that :screwy:

I've also got this for like $30 when Borders went out of business. It was a map display case and they had like 5 of them but by the time i got around to going there, this was the only unsold one. I drove to every Borders within 50 miles the next few days but all the other stores had already sold theirs as well. I would have KILLED to get like 2-3 more :pullhair:

cr5.jpg

Be careful of safes though, some will rust the staples.

even on slabbed books? hm

Definitely. There was a documented incident here with a safe...complete with horrific pics...I wouldn't store a comic in a safe if my life depended on it.

I've also got this for like $30 when Borders went out of business. It was a map display case and they had like 5 of them but by the time i got around to going there, this was the only unsold one. I drove to every Borders within 50 miles the next few days but all the other stores had already sold theirs as well. I would have KILLED to get like 2-3 more :pullhair:

cr5.jpg

That's actually quite neat. Now if there was a way to secure it.

I was discussing safes with someone last night and here is some of what they told me:

The book was slabbed and then the owner placed it in a Gun Safe. Whatever the chemical they use to make the safes fireproof accelerates rust by like 100 times. Since the staples are so small and thin they rust in a matter of months.

So the guy who had it slabbed the 1st time kept it in a safe and the rust just ate the staples. It had started to spread to the book as well.

why would a gun safe, created to house metal guns, rust the staples of a comic book in months, but not rust a gun? i don't know i guess, but it was my understanding it wasn't any chemical that makes a safe fireproof, but insulation between the inner and outter steel walls.

what might make things rust in a safe is humidity in an enclosed space, but they make inexpesive dehumidifiers to solve that problem.

There's a lot of data and discussion on this topic here - it's actually very interesting, and you're right: there are cheap dehumidifiers to take care of the moisture issue.

I would gather the reason staples rust fast than guns is that staples are made of aluminum, mild steel or zinc alloys - guns are made of heat-treated or hardened steel that is of a infinitely higher quality than staples.

Quality Safes aren't cheap by any means, Expect to pay $2,000.00+ for a quality safe. You have to ask yourself, do you spend $200 a year on a safe deposit box, or do you spend a few grand on a safe? If you rather have insurance, and your collection is worth $60K-$100K expect to pay $400-$600 per year on insurance only, on top of the cost of the safe!

If you are worried about being burglary, The $6.00 lock from Walmart doesn't cut it!

You can apply 3M film treatment to both sides of the windows, if someone smashes the glass, it keeps the glass intact, store front business use this to prevent smash and grabs and vandalism (you'll basically be there all day trying to break a hole)

Also removable steel window bars are also an option.

Doors can be kicked in with about 3 good kicks, Get yourself a solid steel door and door jamb, the lock itself doesn't fail, it's the door jamb that fails. Pick proof locks like from Abloy are excellent since they resist key bumping as well. Keep everything locked up tight as well as your garage door since that can be opened from the outside using a coat hanger.

Above all, keep your mouth shut. If people know what you have, it'll most likely be an inside job from someone you know. Someone who has been in your house once before.

Yes :(

I tried searching for the thread, it was around the time i joined but i can't find it. The pictures in that thread left me scarred for life, they were horrific!

Yes :(

I tried searching for the thread, it was around the time i joined but i can't find it. The pictures in that thread left me scarred for life, they were horrific!

I recall that thread. I found it whilst Googling "storing comic books" or something way back when. I think the comic in question was a Hulk 5 that rusted? Something like that.

Here is the thread on safes.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1140967&fpart=1

Many of the pictures have been pulled, but there are some pics starting on page 6.

Ouch there it is :cry: This was a 9.8 Hulk 182

1174902-Hulk182TopStaple.jpg

:o:cry:

Read through a little bit of that thread but never saw this pic! That is absolutely terrible!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1140967&fpart=1

Many of the pictures have been pulled, but there are some pics starting on page 6.

Read through a little bit of that thread but never saw this pic! That is absolutely terrible!

Yea that picture makes me cringe everytime I see it.

cr5.jpg

Over time gravity will cause the bottom edge of the book to push against the inner well. Books with overhang especially should not be stored standing up this way.

cr5.jpg

Over time gravity will cause the bottom edge of the book to push against the inner well. Books with overhang especially should not be stored standing up this way.

Really??? straight up is bad? I've never heard that even though i dont store many that way at all except for all those mostly BA 1st issues. They arent very valuable luckily so i doubt i'll do much damage to them (shrug)

cr5.jpg

Really??? straight up is bad? I've never heard that even though i dont store many that way at all except for all those mostly BA 1st issues. They arent very valuable luckily so i doubt i'll do much damage to them (shrug)

That's a bunch of hooya'

It was the Winnipeg copy too. :(