• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I disagree with Overstreet on.....

61 posts in this topic

So as the movie approaches which one is going to jump more in price?

Who cares. Buy what you like.

lol

I was trying hard to get higher grade copies of both, but then Marvel had to go and confirm that the movie is coming out and now it's going to be nearly impossible to get what I want. Did you see the jump in price right after SDCC?

No I didn't.

I generally don't hear about trends until someone posts it on here.

So as the movie approaches which one is going to jump more in price?

Who cares. Buy what you like.

lol

I was trying hard to get higher grade copies of both, but then Marvel had to go and confirm that the movie is coming out and now it's going to be nearly impossible to get what I want. Did you see the jump in price right after SDCC?

No I didn't.

I generally don't hear about trends until someone posts it on here.

.....by the time I snag a copy to make MAD profit on....the trend is over :boo: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I personally like TTA 35 more than TTA 27 (I like both, but 35 is more of the Key for me).

Me, too. I've always thought that TTA 35 was pretty clearly the true first appearance of Ant Man. But Overstreet has recognized TTA 27 as the first appearance since his first guide (I think) and has listed it at a higher price. I'm pretty sure the gap in price has widened considerably over the years.

My thoughts on overstreet is that it's a great guide but the realities of the market have NEVER been truly reflected in it. It does not evolve on a regular basis like GPA does with current market data. From my perspective as a Wonder Woman collector the pricing is completely skewed and unrealistically low with many issues going for 2, 3 and even 4 times guide.

All in all it's a great quick reference as to what books are keys and to see what is worth doing market research on to come up with viable pricing.

Since we're on the subject of small superheroes - when is the Atom going to get some love? OPG 9.2 value Showcase #34 $3,000....CGC population report is exactly the same as TTA 27 for 9.0s and 9.2s - except there's 1 more Showcase 34 in 9.4 ... = $17,000 price difference? (shrug)

Wait, what am I complaining about - I can snag this baby for $3000 measly bones.... what am I waiting for?

I wonder if early Atom sales will be affected at all by the Antman movie?

I don't think so. Waiting for "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" reboot - then the gravy train cometh.

My thoughts on overstreet is that it's a great guide but the realities of the market have NEVER been truly reflected in it. It does not evolve on a regular basis like GPA does with current market data. From my perspective as a Wonder Woman collector the pricing is completely skewed and unrealistically low with many issues going for 2, 3 and even 4 times guide.

All in all it's a great quick reference as to what books are keys and to see what is worth doing market research on to come up with viable pricing.

+1

Overstreet is a book I have always enjoyed. I have gained knowledge and insight as well as contacts. To catalog this industry of ever-changing trends and fluctuations it is virtually impossible to perfect such a tool. I suggest anyone who thinks they can do it better that they can have my $40 next year.

Overstreet is a book I have always enjoyed. I have gained knowledge and insight as well as contacts. To catalog this industry of ever-changing trends and fluctuations it is virtually impossible to perfect such a tool. I suggest anyone who thinks they can do it better that they can have my $40 next year.

......OSPG is masterful at pricing books for the long haul. I'm surprised at how many CGC graded SA and GA have actually settled in to the OSPG range. GOD BLESS.,..

Overstreet rocks. But you can disagree with some things...thats what makes it fun. And thanks Erndog....at least I found one person to agree with me. :-P

- Bob Overstreet does a fantastic job with the guide despite inconsistencies many of us might have with suggested values for some books.

- While some might find TTA 35 more appealing to their view that it's Antman's1st app. - and the costume will influence this view- TTA 27, in addition to being the 1st Antman, is simultaneously the 1st app of Hank Pym - Hank's 1st app is not to be underrated in terms of significance- anybody can wear a suit as we saw in Strange Tales. Hank is the Antman and one of the "originals."

Oh, and let me not forget to say that Antman rocks!

John

......OSPG is masterful at pricing books for the long haul. I'm surprised at how many CGC graded SA and GA have actually settled in to the OSPG range. GOD BLESS.,..

CGC's inconsistency and 1million+ books in the market have de-valued the slab itself over time. I wonder how book pricing will look like in another 10 years after another million + are entombed.

lol

I understand where you are coming from, but TTA #27 to get your point across maybe isn't the best idea. I highly doubt the owner of a TTA #27 in 9.2 would even sell the book for $20,000 right now. I know I wouldn't.

And TOS #39 in 9.2 might fetch double the OS price of #32,000.

I remember a sale of TTA #27 in 9.4 for $50,000 a year or so ago somewhere.

OSPG rocks, but it's just a guide, like an MSRP of sorts.

And if that's true then OPG's $20K figure might be pretty conservative?

True, the $20K figure probably has nothing to do with it being so hard to find in higher grades, but rather, a semi-random high number for a marvel 1st/SA key.

With that said, Antman/Wasp are big characters in the Avengers cartoon...not that I think watchers of that cartoon (which I am, with my son, when I can find it) are the driving force behind $20K comic purchases...

+1

Once upon a time, before the interweb and the great cataclysm of 1994, when comic shops and comic cons controlled most of the vintage comic market, many shops followed the guide pretty religiously and only discounted much if something was really dead and thus that is what you'd wind up paying, though the 1991-1994 speculo-era probably started to drive the wedge between pricing reality and the guide as books would hit a "hot" level in the guide (or Wizard) and stay there even after nobody cared about the book and after it became clear that every third dealer had ordered a spare 10,000 copies of the book...and around that time many books were given random values to reflect what they "should" be in guide as a hot book...afterall, weren''t the X-Men 1 premium version, Cable 1, etc...all $5 in guide even as most dealers were desperate to unload their extras for $1 or less?