• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FanExpo report with random pics

72 posts in this topic

Bought my Premium pass last fall, and I should have known that it would end up that I'm out of town this weekend. So today was the only day I could go.

Got there a half hour before the doors opened, and joined the never ending queue down into the bowels of Toronto's Metro Toronto Convention Centre. Once I was on the convention level, the line to get into the Premium Lounge (where you pick up your goodie back with the show exclusives) was 500 people deep, but I was able to navigate my way towards the front. Bruno and Marco joined me, and we picked up our bags which included a FanExpo variant of Justice League 11 (The New 52) - which I know nothing about, because I'm willfully ignorant about DC stuff - and a FanExpo Captain America 15.

Technically, we were then supposed to join the long line waiting for the doors to open, but we exited through the entrance to the lounge, and headed over towards the main doors to check out the Exclusives desk where they were selling the Spidey 692 FanExpo variant. We'd heard that none of them were higher than 9.6, and even those were rare. Bruno and Marco examined dozens of copies and think they found a few 9.6 candidates. I found one fairly quickly, and the more I study it, I am sure it's a 9.6 and has potential to be a 9.8. We'll see...

Meanwhile, the throngs were lined up waiting for the doors to open. But the Exclusives booth was right beside the door to the main floor, and the doors were open, and no one was around, so I just headed straight onto the floor perhaps 10 minutes before the doors officially opened. Nice.

So the bottom line is that the show was great, except if you were interested in comics beyond the usual suspects. To be frank, there's a better selection of dealers at the 1-day HobbyStar cons in the fall and spring than at this show. Jamie Graham cancelled at the last minute, so the only US dealer was Harley, and he's at all the Toronto shows. In fact, ALL of the dealers were the same ones that we get at the 1-day shows. No difference. And with the 1-day cons, you can avoid (a) the cost, (b) the hassle and © the three-ring circus.

HobbyStar and the FanExpo folks put on a great show, but it's just not a show for the serious comic collector... and especially not for the OA collector. The only OA dealer there was Jeff (monkeyboy).

I'll post a bunch of pics a little later. Gotta go eat some dinner.

Drew

which included a FanExpo variant of Justice League 11 (The New 52) - which I know nothing about, because I'm willfully ignorant about DC stuff - and a FanExpo Captain America 15.

:takeit: if you dont want them

which included a FanExpo variant of Justice League 11 (The New 52) - which I know nothing about, because I'm willfully ignorant about DC stuff - and a FanExpo Captain America 15.

:takeit: if you dont want them

Nah I think I'll keep 'em. However, I was cleaning out my grandfather's attic, and he had some really old comics in a box up there. I know nothing about comics, so if you want those, they're yours.

OK pic.

First up, the "deluxe passholders" line, waiting for the doors to open. We had bypassed the line and headed to the Exclusives table. After that, I just turned right and headed onto the convention floor. No one said boo.

expo00.jpg

The ladies running the Exclusives booth.

expo30.jpg

Bought my Premium pass last fall, and I should have known that it would end up that I'm out of town this weekend. So today was the only day I could go.

Drew

So did you sell the pass to someone else fro remaining days or keep it in case you could go back