• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finally! A worthwhile Craigslist find!

18 posts in this topic

So i troll Craigslist ads across the us daily looking for the next big billy wright collection, or just silver age filler....not much luck yet, the people who have nice stuff have consulted comicspriceguide.com and want the NM value on a Fair condition book.

have some potential leads on some nice GA stuff if i can get to 1/2 guide...but never been able to pull the trigger. especially when they find out your out of town and want to go paypal/usps route.

but i got a nice haul today....18 long boxes, stuffed full, for $450.

mostly 80s-90s stuff, with some bronze and copper age thrown in. no big keys, typical $1 bin stuff from conventions.

BUT....

in grad school I sold most of my childhood comics on ebay to make some cash...and this collection replaces all those and then some.

I randomly pulled out a few comics and each one was one that had significant collectors memory for me

X-factor #3 - the first "old" back issue I found in a 7 eleven spinner rack (8 months, but thats ancient to a 12 year old)

FF 293 - the first comic I remember buying off a spinner rack when I had made the decision to become a collecter (shortly followed by FF 292, Nam 1, Marvel Saga 8)

New Mutants 48 - part of one of the most interesting runs I remember as a kid with warlock and some weird bird creature...

just tons and tons of semi complete runs...gives me lots of reading material, and when my kids are old enough they have a huge library of readers to sift through and show their friends.

and at less than 10 cents a book, I just couldnt pass it up.

One mans drek is another mans library.

that was the thinking...when i was a kid, any dad who had any comics was the worlds best dad in our book. plus - even though they are ALL bagged and boarded, i dont care if they spill grape juice on them.

since im a casual collector - only care to keep silver age marvels - my collection just went from being 2 long boxes and a short box - to 20 long boxes and a short box (no kids allowed by the short box, has FF 1-50, TTA 27-100, and other goodies in there)

What was the most expensive book in this lot?

So i troll Craigslist ads across the us daily looking for the next big billy wright collection, or just silver age filler....not much luck yet, the people who have nice stuff have consulted comicspriceguide.com and want the NM value on a Fair condition book.

have some potential leads on some nice GA stuff if i can get to 1/2 guide...but never been able to pull the trigger. especially when they find out your out of town and want to go paypal/usps route.

but i got a nice haul today....18 long boxes, stuffed full, for $450.

mostly 80s-90s stuff, with some bronze and copper age thrown in. no big keys, typical $1 bin stuff from conventions.

BUT....

in grad school I sold most of my childhood comics on ebay to make some cash...and this collection replaces all those and then some.

I randomly pulled out a few comics and each one was one that had significant collectors memory for me

X-factor #3 - the first "old" back issue I found in a 7 eleven spinner rack (8 months, but thats ancient to a 12 year old)

FF 293 - the first comic I remember buying off a spinner rack when I had made the decision to become a collecter (shortly followed by FF 292, Nam 1, Marvel Saga 8)

New Mutants 48 - part of one of the most interesting runs I remember as a kid with warlock and some weird bird creature...

just tons and tons of semi complete runs...gives me lots of reading material, and when my kids are old enough they have a huge library of readers to sift through and show their friends.

and at less than 10 cents a book, I just couldnt pass it up.

One mans drek is another mans library.