• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bound comics

64 posts in this topic

hate to see that done to books...

but if the damage is already done, things cold be worse (shrug)

i view them about the same value level as coverless books. obviously more if they can be unbound and are still intact.

With most stuff now available in beautiful glossy coffee table style Masterworks or Archives most people have no use for these. Even more so now with digital copies on ipads.

Just a shame all those books got ruined :cry:

Lots of series and runs haven't been collected yet. Some are way cheaper to have bound. Some TPB's are just poor quality, or have been colorized or decolorized or are printed manga sized or something.

I want to bind a few sets but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

With most stuff now available in beautiful glossy coffee table style Masterworks or Archives most people have no use for these. Even more so now with digital copies on ipads.

Lots of series and runs haven't been collected yet. Some are way cheaper to have bound. Some TPB's are just poor quality, or have been colorized or decolorized or are printed manga sized or something.

So what's wrong with just owning the actual comics?

I really like bound comics, I own a few books with this treatment and they are worth gold to me... But in terms of market value yes, they're not that valuable....

I'm always looking for new ones on ebay, there's a store right now selling (just with buy it now) a X-Men 1-65 and a Avengers 1-64.

I really like bound comics, I own a few books with this treatment and they are worth gold to me... But in terms of market value yes, they're not that valuable....

I'm always looking for new ones on ebay, there's a store right now selling (just with buy it now) a X-Men 1-65 and a Avengers 1-64.

That Avengers "bound" auction(that thing barely qualifies as bound!) is EXACTLY why the books need to be trimmed before they are bound. That thing looks horrible as all the different issues are sticking out different lengths. Not only does it look horrible imo, it also just constantly damages all the parts sticking out more and more.

I know people hate trimming books but if they are going to be bound, it makes a MUCH nicer presenting volume (thumbs u

So what's wrong with just owning the actual comics?

It comes down to what your intent with is the comics. Is it to read them? If so then having a readily available chunck of 25-30 books sitting on your bookshelf for easy consumption is pretty appealing. As opposed to finding them in a long box (hope its not in storage somewhere, or at the bottom of an 8 box high stack!) getting them out of their 25-30 bags and boards (watch out for that tape!) reading them, then putting them back in their bags/boards, back in the box and then putting it all away...

Again this is if your top priority is reading, and reading them easily...

"ruined" is a matter of opinion. A comics books purpose on earth is to be read and enjoyed. If having them bound increases their readability and therefore enjoy-ability, then I dont think they are ruined. If your goal is to collect the books and collectibility is more important (which is totally fine by the way!) then yes they are "ruined"

And yes as dupont mentioned, many books havent been collected, arent collected well (production-wise) or the collection has never been completed (first few volumes get produced and then it never or very slowly gets finished), or they are collected in a way you dont prefer.

There was a TPB of Morrisons DC 1Million. It only collected the 4 issues series, and a couple of tie ins (no where close to the total # of tie in issues, which were only hit and miss in terms of necessity to the core story). My 28 issue bind tells the whole start to finish of the DC 1 Million event with all of the key tie ins (my opinion) and in one nice book on my shelf that I've read three times since binding it.

My 28 issue bind tells the whole start to finish of the DC 1 Million event with all of the key tie ins (my opinion) and in one nice book on my shelf that I've read three times since binding it.

This is another thing that appeals in bound comics, much like getting a Sketch Cover you can choose the subject or what comics will make it into your book. Personalization is a big plus that you don't get in factory made TPB/HC's

Not even to me!

Those are probably the ugliest, most half assed bound volumes i've ever seen on eBay :sorry:

I was PSYCHED when i saw the listing and as soon as i clicked it, i was all :sick:

Not even to me!

Those are probably the ugliest, most half assed bound volumes i've ever seen on eBay :sorry:

I was PSYCHED when i saw the listing and as soon as i clicked it, i was all :sick:

I'm with you, brother. This is truly an ugly bound set if I ever saw one! If the seller gets $2K for it, I'll be floored. :insane:

Damn that is not terribly attractive...funny that someone would go to the bother of assembling that collection, having them "professionally" bound, but make the cover by using a felt tip pen and cheap plastic stencil? The damage is done, the seller should have these rebound with a better cover. this looks like a 6th grade report on the Avengers.

I love Bound books.

I consider bound comics the same as I do 'garage' model kit sculpts. They're fan art, and the love for the comic book medium shines through. The vision, the effort, the end result.

Put 'manufactured collectibles' on one end of the hobby-spectrum, 'bound comics' would on that far opposite end. One-of-a-kind individual expressions of a fanaticism toward comics. :cloud9:

Damn that is not terribly attractive...funny that someone would go to the bother of assembling that collection, having them "professionally" bound, but make the cover by using a felt tip pen and cheap plastic stencil? The damage is done, the seller should have these rebound with a better cover. this looks like a 6th grade report on the Avengers.

I was thinking the same thing except my Daughter is in 5th grade and does MUCH nicer looking book reports than that hot mess! hm

I love Bound books.

I consider bound comics the same as I do 'garage' model kit sculpts. They're fan art, and the love for the comic book medium shines through. The vision, the effort, the end result.

Put 'manufactured collectibles' on one end of the hobby-spectrum, 'bound comics' would on that far opposite end. One-of-a-kind individual expressions of a fanaticism toward comics. :cloud9:

Totally agree with you to the extent they are professionally assembled. One of the exceptions from this, however, are publisher bounded file copies. These file copies bring with them a whole host of additional desirable features.