• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know if Mycomicshop has eased their above CGC grading standards?

28 posts in this topic

Just curious if any sellers have noticed recently mycomicshop changing their grading standards to be the same with CGC standards (instead of tougher than CGC) after the thread on it a few months ago?

Its pretty hard to believe anyone can grade tougher than CGC! (although I guess dealers do it all the time to me when they are buying!)

The previous thread on this problem is here:

Ever sell on mycomicshop thread?

I actually sold them a book that was a CGC 9.2 that I had cracked out.

They graded it 8.0 iirc.

They're hit and miss though. They'll undergrade one by a couple of grades, then the next book will be overgraded by a grade or two.

I've not bought or sold anything from them in a while. Their grading bounces around a little but they are a giant leap above Mile High.

When selling to them if you don't like the grade they assign you can always have the book shipped back to you. It's not like you can't back out of it.

While I've rolled my eyes over the grades they assign from time to time, they're still easy to sell to. I've noticed that when I'm selling that they undergrade more often than overgrade. I've also noticed that when I buy I seem to get the overgraded books a lot more often than the undergraded ones, but you do find a diamond in the mine on occasion.

Their selling model makes it easy to move books through them, though. You have to pick your battles.

Recently sold some books to them...I'm pretty close with CGC grading but with MCS I was waaaay off!

Sometimes by 2 grades lower... :(

Their selling model makes it easy to move books through them, though. You have to pick your battles.

Totally agree on that!

I don't understand why you would call it a problem?

Sellers that under grade or grade tight tend to get more money for their books when selling and/or their books sell quicker than sellers who over grade.

Every seller grades differently.

If you want to sell books with CGC grades attached to them then the only consistent way to do that is have all your books CGC graded before you sell them.

If you disagree with the grades that a dealer gives you when selling your books then you have the option of grading and selling the books yourself.

You can't have the best of both worlds, you can't have "over grading" when selling but "under grading" when buying.

Perhaps if CGC were to release its grading standards, as both Overstreet and MCS have, people could begin to grade by them. Until then, their standards are a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

I don't know how anyone can grade to a standard when there is no known standard in the first place.

Perhaps if CGC were to release its grading standards, as both Overstreet and MCS have, people could begin to grade by them. Until then, their standards are a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

I don't know how anyone can grade to a standard when there is no known standard in the first place.

Don't hate just because some people can figure something out that you can't.

It's not rocket science.

I don't understand why you would call it a problem?

Sellers that under grade or grade tight tend to get more money for their books when selling and/or their books sell quicker than sellers who over grade.

Every seller grades differently.

If you want to sell books with CGC grades attached to them then the only consistent way to do that is have all your books CGC graded before you sell them.

If you disagree with the grades that a dealer gives you when selling your books then you have the option of grading and selling the books yourself.

You can't have the best of both worlds, you can't have "over grading" when selling but "under grading" when buying.

I think implicit in the complaint being voiced is that they undergrade when buying, not so much when selling. but yes, nobody has a gun to your head to sell, although i suppose the return shipping costs can be an irritant on low dollar items...so you're not going to spend $5 to ship back an item where the undergrade costs you $4. i have no experience either way with them, so i'm not saying they do or they don't, but they do seem to have a nice system in place.

I'm doing my best to stay out of threads like this, but the one thing I'll always add anytime anybody mentions a possible concern about us seeming to grade more harshly on books they sell to us than on books they buy from us:

Every book we buy is always listed for sale at the same grade we reported to the seller when we bought it. We never list a book for sale at a higher grade than we bought it at. Never, never, never. We make it easy for sellers to verify for themselves--all you've got to do is watch for the books you sold us to show up on our new in stock inventory page, and you'll see them listed at the same grades we assigned when buying the books.

I think implicit in the complaint being voiced is that they undergrade when buying, not so much when selling. but yes, nobody has a gun to your head to sell, although i suppose the return shipping costs can be an irritant on low dollar items...so you're not going to spend $5 to ship back an item where the undergrade costs you $4. i have no experience either way with them, so i'm not saying they do or they don't, but they do seem to have a nice system in place.

I'm doing my best to stay out of threads like this, but the one thing I'll always add anytime anybody mentions a possible concern about us seeming to grade more harshly on books they sell to us than on books they buy from us:

Every book we buy is always listed for sale at the same grade we reported to the seller when we bought it. We never list a book for sale at a higher grade than we bought it at. Never, never, never. We make it easy for sellers to verify for themselves--all you've got to do is watch for the books you sold us to show up on our new in stock inventory page, and you'll see them listed at the same grades we assigned when buying the books.

I have bought from MyComicShop.com a number of times and I have sold to them as well. I have had nothing but positive experiences.

If I'm reading this right, it seems that

1) They post what their grading standards are. This is more than what many dealers do.

2) Their grading can sometimes vary from time to time. Gee, what a shock! Grading has always been, and always will be, an inexact science. Will I always agree with their grades? Of course not. But neither will I always agree with CGC's grades. Even professional grading companies that get paid a lot of money just for their opinions can vary in their opinions of grades. Crack and resub, anybody?

3) They promise that the grade at which they buy is the same as the grade at which they sell. And this promise is verifiable by looking up their stock at their website. I think this goes a long way toward proving they're not playing that sleazy game of buy low(grade) and sell high(grade). Do other dealers make this promise?

When it comes to MyComicShop, all I can say is (thumbs u

Don't hate just because some people can figure something out that you can't.

It's not rocket science.

So help us out here. What standards do they use? Certainly not Overstreets.

One dark lie that has been suggested in this thread as well as others,is MCS buys with tight grading, then sells with loose. I know from experience they are not doing that, as I have double checked submitted books. The same book is bought and sold at the same grade, you can check, as I have, by submitting a book you can id later. A very common trick for in the trenches dealers is to buy and sell at different grading standards but MCS doesnt do that.

I don't think they have two sets of grading standards, but they were definitely tighter than CGC standards according to multiple posters and mycomicshops' own post in the last thread (the one where their grade of the All Star 4.5 CGC'd at 7.5! and the rest were about 1 point below CGC, and don't even get me started on pressed grades, they definitely don't give any credit for the possibility of pressing).

I was just wondering if they had reconsidered this policy since the last thread a few months ago. It definitely costs sellers money when they grade cracked out CGC 9.2's at 8.0 all the time.

And it is true, its not that hard to figure out CGC standards at least closer, than 8.0 to 9.2, if you have submitted at least 50 books.

And counting off for miswraps and writing is something CGC does not do which is an irritating thing mycomicshop counts off for, because its obvious to the buyer when they look at the scan. And many CGC buyers don't mind these defects either. But it costs sellers money when mycomicshop hammers a book for this, so I'm hoping mycomicshop gets more in tune with actual CGC standards.

I recently sent in my 3rd set of books to mycomicshop. This is the first time I chose consignment so I am seeing how that goes. One of the books I sent in was a WD 19 which I purchased as an 8.5 from them. It was regraded at a 7.5. It is my opinion that they have started grading stricter since I first started sending stuff, but this is probably a good thing imo. I can't complain too much. I only paid $13 for the WD 19 and anyone can look at the scans and decide if they think something is under or overgraded.

It is fun to see your book after they scan it. I must admit after seeing the scans my opinion of my books change a lot of times closer to what they graded things. I can affirm that they do sell books at the grade they pay at. I saw my books listed for sale and it was the same grade. Nothing fishy going on.

Consign and you can set whatever price you think your book should get regardless of grade. The pricing data they give you when deciding to set your price is top notch. I started a little high and plan on dropping the price ever so often. For someone without a lot of free time, it doesn't get much easier than mycomicshop.

I can think of one thing that could make selling even better for consignments. The implementation of an offer system might be nice, but mycomicshop has made me not even think about using ebay again for selling comics.

Send your book to CGC, have them grade it and then sent to MCS to sell for you.

Problem solved. Unless you want to get CGC grading without actually paying CGC to do the job for you.

yes thats a good idea, however,sometimes an $80-125 9.0-9.2 book isn't worth the $30 grading fee though. But if Mycomicshop only will give you max an 8.0, you can only sell it for $45, so it would be optimum and fair for sellers to be able to sell it at 9.0-9.2 on mycomicshop for $80-100 without having to pay off CGC.

I think Mycomicshop is trying to avoid overpromising to buyers, but this is not fair to the sellers who dont get full value for their books.

But I think mycomicshop should have a return policy of no questions asked like Comicconnect so if any buyer doesn't agree with the grade on 9.0-9.2 they can return no problem. That way you dont have the problem of buyers disagreeing with mycomicshops grade.

Send your book to CGC, have them grade it and then sent to MCS to sell for you.

Problem solved. Unless you want to get CGC grading without actually paying CGC to do the job for you.

yes thats a good idea, however,sometimes an $80-125 9.0-9.2 book isn't worth the $30 grading fee though. But if Mycomicshop only will give you max an 8.0, you can only sell it for $45, so it would be optimum and fair for sellers to be able to sell it at 9.0-9.2 on mycomicshop for $80-100 without having to pay off CGC.

I think Mycomicshop is trying to avoid overpromising to buyers, but this is not fair to the sellers who dont get full value for their books.

But I think mycomicshop should have a return policy of no questions asked like Comicconnect so if any buyer doesn't agree with the grade on 9.0-9.2 they can return no problem. That way you dont have the problem of buyers disagreeing with mycomicshops grade.

I would argue that it isn't 'unfair' to sellers, provided the comics are sold at the same grades they are bought, which they appear to be. Sellers are under no obligation to sell on their website, and can choose not to sell if they disagree with their grades.

The website also has chosen generally to grade on the more conservative side as you said most likely to temper consumer expectations, but they also receive less money as a result, as does the seller. It may not be the best situation for the seller, but its not 'unfair' in my opinion.

I do also think MCS grading standards are a hair tighter on average than our beloved CGC's.

And Roy is right, the market self evolves to such a practice.

Proof positive - I've seen several key books sell in MCS auctions for a multiple of GPA (not 10% above kiddies.....more like 2x or 3x)

For example, a low grade Hulk 1 (maybe 2.0) sold up in the $4k range IIRC (someone can correct me on the specs).

Anyways, Buddy, Conan and crew are stand up guys.........they get my reference anyday. Not thrilled with response times conan (ahem....you still owe me a response there, buddy)