• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just left DragonCon (a rant)

78 posts in this topic

No, I don't believe you can judge on appearance.   Opposite end of the spectrum here,  at the London con this year I had to put up with nonsense from a few too many reasonably well-dressed, clean- and respectable-looking attendees who nonetheless behaved as if they were socially impaired, putting it mildly.

Dragon Con is not a comic con and it is generally not very kid friendly, especially after about 7pm. There's obviously a large clientele for this sort of con, so why bash people enjoying it?

If you want a nice, family friendly con, try Heroes Con in Charlotte up the road. You won't find a better show on the eastern half of the county.

When it was called DragonCon/ACE or Atlanta Comic Exposition it was a top notch show. I last saw this first hand in the early to mid 90's.

The ACE part was dropped at some point after.

The last time I went was 2004. There wasn't a very good selection of comics so therefore I quit going.

Dragon Con is not a comic con and it is generally not very kid friendly, especially after about 7pm. There's obviously a large clientele for this sort of con, so why bash people enjoying it?

If you want a nice, family friendly con, try Heroes Con in Charlotte up the road. You won't find a better show on the eastern half of the county.

Too true... and it's almost completely comics-oriented. (thumbs u

Went for a few hours today. Sat in on panel with Adam West and Burt Ward. They were very entertaining and funny. Stood in line for Stan Lee panel. After an hour one of the guides told everyone that Stan Lee cancelled and would not be there anymore this weekend.... :cry: Met Dean Cain and had a nice conversation with him. Neal Adams was signing anything you handed him for $5. Not as many costumes today and crowded. We still had a perfectly nice time walking around and people watching.

From what folks have said in this thread, it sounds like comics is a bit of an afterthought at DragonCon.

it's Artist Alley is the size of a medium sized con (like Motorcity Con's of old), the # of comic book dealers can be counted on one (or if you are lucky two) hands...

I'm not a Sci-Fi guy, but I've gone the last two years for a day, and its entertaining to say the least! Great people watching...

No, I don't believe you can judge on appearance.   Opposite end of the spectrum here,  at the London con this year I had to put up with nonsense from a few too many reasonably well-dressed, clean- and respectable-looking attendees who nonetheless behaved as if they were socially impaired, putting it mildly.

That's just George & Imran.

Given that I just got home from a fairly rowdy DC weekend, I have not the energy to dissect this rather misleading, uninformed, and somewhat mean-spirited post from the OP as fully as I should.

I'll say that almost all of your problems could've been solved with doing a little bit of research on the event beforehand. They even make a free app available for Droid and iPhone that gives you maps, lists of events, and allows you to build a schedule. That line outside the Hyatt? That was a lineup for one of the panels, not to get in the hotel for the con. Again, a problem that could easily be resolved by a little research (and when I say little, I mean asking the people in line). They also have information booths all around the hotels to help you if you need it.

I will agree, though, that it is not the place to buy comic at all. But it is a terrific place to get commissions from some great comic artists with hardly any real lines to deal with in Artist Alley. I thought my Dave Johnson and Ryan Benjamin pieces turned out awesome, as well as a stellar piece my buddy got from Matteo Scalera.

Also, if you don't think there were people there from ALL walks of life there at the con, you weren't paying attention. Rarely do you see a more diverse crowd of people gathered in one place for the love of all things geek. And I like a con where I can walk around drinking all day, look at half-naked ladies, and discuss the greatness of facial hair with John Rhys-Davies. So there.

Dragoncon was okay. Last year I didn't have to stand outside for a one day pass. This year the line was outside the building and down the street 2 blocks. When we get to the front of the line, people are just cutting their way into the line. What was the point of waiting? Also, why do I have to register every year. Just sell me a pass. easy. Dropped off books for Stans signature and Jim starlins. I don't understand the steam punk stuff. It's not young people either. It's only 40+ people doing steam punk. Ladies, just show us your boobs and be done with it, that is the only reason your doing it anyway.

Comic vendors there were the same from last year. Same stuff, nothing too mind blowing. Crazy ed was there and he couldn't stop talking for a second. Love that guy, no matter who you are he will over-charge you for a book. Then there was planet comics with their under and over charging. $5 for the new 52 batman #11? I can still find those at any comic book store for cover but the lucille cover of walking dead #100 for $250? you can't beat that. Dr. No's Comics in Marietta is selling it for $700. God I hate that place. I want it to not exist anymore. Finally met Neal Adams. That right there makes me change my statement to Dragoncon was Great!