• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil 1 cgc 6.5 for sale to fund life *drop to 1220*

61 posts in this topic

Thank you guys for all the beautiful comments,

I did said " Sorry " to amalak. I am new to the board, just found this site 2 days ago and had no idea how to make offer and stuff.

this is for those who needs to read their history lessons again :

Aryan /ˈɛərjən/ is an English language loanword derived from the Sanskrit ārya ('Noble').[1][2][3] In present-day academia, the terms "Indo-Iranian" and "Indo-European" have, according to many, made most uses of the term 'Aryan' minimal, and 'Aryan' is now mostly limited to its appearance in the term "Indo-Aryan" for Indic languages and their speakers.

And by the way my sons name is Aryan .. and if someone here thinks its offensive then ... all i have to say is " read between the lines "

The name is offensive

May be offensive if used strictly in the sense assumed within nazist racial theories, which was an indebt appropriation. And in English.

In italian, for example, we have a single word for both aryan and arian (as related to Arianism), but maybe our Daredevil pal here is just fascinated by Indo-Iranian history, with no reference to "uncle Adolf" at all… :)

I think you're really reaching.

I think many here are over reacting. Just because the Nazi's (and Neo-Nazi's) tried the co-opt the term and make it mean something it never did (which is some kind of white supremacy) doesn't make it so. Aryan is still a scientific correct and used term for "Indo-European".

Words that describe our heritage and culture should not be automatically taboo - unless those words were originally intended to denigrate and insult. Which aryan never was.

Our "Aryan" would be wise to just change his moniker though, given it's new one. Otherwise every post by him or her will turn into some political correctness moral debate.

BTW - welcome to the boards Aryan.

Totally agree with you ... i guess some people out here don't know their history. And I did apologize to ALAMARK because I had no idea how to make offers and communicate since it was my second day here on this forum.

Thanks again

Aryan...don't take it personally. there are many here to get all "up in arms" at any opportunity they get. For what it's worth, I do not find it offensive and if you want to keep that as your username, then go right ahead.

If others have an issue with it, just ignore him! It's very simple. No need to get into a political/philosophical argument over the meaning of a word based on various times in history. Bottom line - who cares!?!

And while your public offer is considered "in bad form," you didn't break any rules and considering the PQ, I think it was a very generous offer!

CC

Trashing this book on the for sale thread, is bad form (low ball offer, and discussing the page quality in a negative light, etc.).

How about if he used the "N" word for his screen name? Would that too be okay? Or maybe the three letter "F" word (think British cigarette)?

Just curious how far one has to go to cross the line here.

Aryan is unacceptable for a screen name. We are talking about an internet screen name. One does not have to use such a term. There are literally millions of names that can be used here. Thousands that actually refer to some aspect of this hobby.

Geesh. Get a clue.

No, it doesn't prove anything like that at all. Aryan is a proper, currently used term that describes a people's heritage. Just like Fascism describes a political ideology. Those two words are not themselves "evil" and should not be politically incorrect. They are commonly used when appropriate.

I hate to derail this thread even further, so this is the last thing I'll say. And first, I'll say this is a sweet DD and I hope it sells soon.

But did you just write that fascism should not be politically incorrect. I mean, really, did you just write that. :facepalm:

I've got some relatives who grew up under Il Duce who'd love to have a chat with you. (thumbs u

No, it doesn't prove anything like that at all. Aryan is a proper, currently used term that describes a people's heritage. Just like Fascism describes a political ideology. Those two words are not themselves "evil" and should not be politically incorrect. They are commonly used when appropriate.

I hate to derail this thread even further, so this is the last thing I'll say. And first, I'll say this is a sweet DD and I hope it sells soon.

But did you just write that fascism should not be politically incorrect. I mean, really, did you just write that. :facepalm:

I've got some relatives who grew up under Il Duce who'd love to have a chat with you. (thumbs u

OMG!! Do I really have to explain various political philosophies on a board where we discuss comic books AND politics are supposed to be left out?? Fascism is a political philosophy that stresses national identity above all else. It seeks a national community where people are united together as one people. It is debated among academics as to whether fascism is "left" or "right" on the political spectrum as it combines elements of both. The consensus is it is mostly neither.

While Hitler and the Nazi's are the face of fascism, the philosophy emerged in Italy during WWI and has roots back to the 1880's.

Fascism is NOT a politically incorrect word. It is the correct term for a political philosophy, just like communism, democracy, theocracy, or monarchy to list a few Every textbook that covers forms of government and political philosophies will use this word.

And before some smart- says something about wiki - I have a degree in Poly Sci and I wrote this off the top of my head!!