• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roots of collecting.....

14 posts in this topic

I know we have a thread that gets pulled back to the top every once in a while that shows us some of the old news stands selling comics and it always facinated me. I wasn't around to collect in the Golden Age of comics and I am pretty sure that also goes for the vast majority of folks on these boards.

I have metioned in the past that I first began collecting comics when I joined the Army back in 1991 and I was alread 19 at the time so, there went the Silver and Bronze Age for me as well.

I was going through a box of pictures today and I spotted some pictures of my first comic collection freshly picked from the AAFES shelves in good old Babenhausen Germany. Since I love to hear stories of how we all got started I thought that there might be some interest on these boards of pictures from our early days of collecting.

I am going to start off and see if this thread has leggs....if not no big deal, but if you have any pictures of you enjoying the hobby from years ago......please post them so we can all enjoy the history of this great hobby.

The first pictures shows me cataloging my books in an old accounting book as I didn't have a computer back then 893whatthe.gif Looks like an issue of Thor from the 400's.

The second pictures was how I stored my comics after I read then....pretty high tech huh thumbsup2.gif

I can see the Death of Tony Stark Iron Man issue as well as an issue of Solar #9, Silver Surfer #?, Conan #?, Wolverine, a few Punisher comics and also a Savage Sword of Conan #192 (I'm guessing). Yes they are moderns, but at least the pictures are from 12 years ago hi.gif

collecting.jpg

I had never thought of that Krypto.. thumbsup2.gif

Wicker Long Boxes..

Allows the comics to breath.. and goes well with my country kitchen decor'...

I dont have any photos of my comic past.. only stories...I could post a photo of me in my "perm" phase in junior high school.

Thnx for sharing your early days... funny thing is .. you spent the time and effort to catalog your comics.. but did not know how to store them properly.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You've come along way baby...(name the ciggy add please)

And I can only hope this thread does has legs.. if only for a rehash of old posts.. the board seems to have bogged down lately..there is enough bitternerness on the forum this week.. to put Angostura out of business.

Rimshot please....

Ba dum bump

Z

I'm here all week..

He is a pic that I just happened to have readily available....imagine me at age 15 or 16 staning on top of my bed with a Polaroid camera to take pictures of some neat items that I was thinking about selling....

I actually still have all the books in the pic but the 7/11 cups are now north of the border... wink.gif

cuppic.jpg

Man, those 7-11 cups were the coolest. Brought back memories for sure. I've never tried to look for them on Ebay. Anybody ever see these things for sale? -----Sid
They are always for sale. There was an auction for the complete run of the DC ones last month but I had most of them so I didn't bid! frown.gif

He is a pic that I just happened to have readily available....imagine me at age 15 or 16 staning on top of my bed with a Polaroid camera to take pictures of some neat items that I was thinking about selling....

I actually still have all the books in the pic but the 7/11 cups are now north of the border... wink.gif

cuppic.jpg

On first glance I thought these items had been displayed on your wall. The reason I mention this is that as a pre-teen I used to display my favorite books and LPs(albums to you whipper-snappers) by thumb-tacking them to my wall.

No, not through the books but the bag...so I don't have the "hole pedigree" collection. Imagine a wall filled with Aerosmith, Kiss, Queen, and the Doobie Brothers side by side with Iron Fist, Spidey, Avengers, & Batman.

That's part of the "roots of collecting"...i.e. pure ignorance(condition wise) along side the pure enjoyment or reading comics while listening to rock music. cloud9.gif

It seems crazy...I've been buying comics since the age of 5(that's 33 years!) but there isn't a single picture of me and a comic until I'm well into my 30s.

I do remember that when I was 10, a man around the block showed me his collection from the early 60s(ASM #1, Hulk #1, FF #1, etc.). I went home, surveyed my own collection, and couldn't wait for the day when the pages would turn yellow like all those cool books the new neighbor had. Shows you how much I knew about preservation at the time.

The plastic 7-11 cups are cool because there are so many of them, including a lot of the more bronze obscure characters. However they are hard to find in nice shape, being made of cheap plastic and run through the disc washer. Also there are REALLY easy to store stacked inside each other which can scrape up the images on them. I buy them when I find them in nice enough shape and cheap enough.

I also like the superhero GLASSES, which hold up better I think. This (blurry) pic has a few on the lower shelf. glass2.jpg

Anyway, back on topic, I started collecting in the late 1970s when a few of my buddies at the time were getting into comics. A few of us stayed with it, and in the mid-1980s we started published our own mini-comics. Did that for about 10 years, putting out of 200 books, and had a lot of fun with that. Published Sergio Aragones, Hilary Barta, Gary Fields, Jeff Nicholson, Matt Feazell and tons of other people. That finally died away with grad school, getting married and having kids. I just started buying "real" comics again about a year ago.