• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest Flash Comics
2 2

53 posts in this topic

truthfully, if you are not grade conscious, there are none that can't be had...takes a little time and patience and box digging because most dealers don't put up on their convention walls, etc, but between all the online sources I bet you could complete relatively quick...

I just spent 5 minutes hitting some "major" sites, and see 70+ diff issues available...

(thumbs u (worship)

[font:Arial Black]Hello,

I spent years on researching and tracking down high grade Flashes with an emphasis on the Frisco's as (Joe Smqekle had a number of the MH's locked up).

I had a pedegree and/or high grade run of all he Moldoff covers up to #51, plus the #2, 6, 92

Legend: MH = Mile High/Church, SF= Sanfrancisco/Riley, NS - Nova Scotia

Allentown, Larson, D- Copy, NP - Non- Pedegree

Had

#2 (9.2), 6 (larsen), 7 (9.6 NS), 8 (8.5 NP, 8.0 Larson), 9 (larson), 10 (Allentown), 11 (9.2 NP), 13 (9.4 NP), 14 (9.4 NP), 15 (9.0 Larson), 17 (8.5 NP), 19 (9.0 NP), 21 (9.0 Larson), 23 (9.4 SF), 25 9.4 NP), 27 (9.2 NP), 29 (9.0 SF), 31 (9.2 NP), 33 (9.6 MH & 9.6 SF), 35 (9.6 SF), 37 (9.6 SF), 39(9.4 SF), 41 (9.4 MH, 9.2 SF)), 43 (9.6 SF) , 45 (9.6 SF), 47 (miss cut, but if ina holder 9.8 MH), 49 (9.6 SF), 51 (9.6 SF), 92 (9.4 NP or D' Copy..can't remember). + dozens of other pedegrees after 51 that I wasn't interested in.

The hardest to get, especially in grade were: (#2, #6, #9, #13, 25, 27, 29).

Pat K. was accurate in a few, but I literally spent years, hundreds of phone calls, and thousands of hours trying to dig them out of collections or even locate them.

Dwight[/font]

Edited by detective35DF

I've found that issue #2 to be a very hard to track down (unrestored). There has been a few copies that have come to market in the last year but you can go two years and not see one for sale.
I sold my unrestored #2 just a week ago. Among the PMs I received, 3 were asking if I had a better copy.

Here is a list of all the San Francisco copies of Flash Comics I've been able to find after a 20 year search.

Flash Comics #5, 23, 29, 33, 34, 35, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 51, 53, 56, 57, 59, 60, 61, 63, 65

I'm sure there are more SF copies out there. Flash Comics is one of those titles that has had more SF copies surface than almost any other comic book title. I'm sure Dwight had a lot to do with that!

PS. Flash Comics 1-104 were all present in the Mile High collection, but since 1977, a few have gone "missing".

Edited by Timely

I've found that issue #2 to be a very hard to track down (unrestored). There has been a few copies that have come to market in the last year but you can go two years and not see one for sale.
I sold my unrestored #2 just a week ago. Among the PMs I received, 3 were asking if I had a better copy.

What grade was it?

- Dwight thanks for the info!

When I put the All Flash run together, I didn't find any of the issues to be truly scarce but for me 28 and 31 were the toughest. Over the years I've never found any of the Flash titles/issues to be particularly hard to find, especially in the lower grades.

I have little interest in the run, but the two I wanted in the early 2000s was 33, first Shade, and 88, first Gentleman Ghost.  They were used frequently in JSA and Sandman, but I never found copies to buy.  I should get on that...

Edited by FineCollector

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2012 at 8:54 PM, Radioactive Man-migration said:

Hey all,

I couldn't find a similar thread, but just curious as to what the toughest books of the Flash Comics and All-Flash runs are? Not just high grade, but any grade. I'm embarking on a low grade run and want to know which ones I should jump at if they become available...

When I put together my run of All Flash plus the Black Canary issues of Flash Comics ( 86-104 ) the two toughest issues to find were All Flash 32 and Flash Comics 96. Neither book is truly rare but both are very tough to find in mid grade or better.

7 minutes ago, incognito said:

When I put together my run of All Flash plus the Black Canary issues of Flash Comics ( 86-104 ) the two toughest issues to find were All Flash 32 and Flash Comics 96. Neither book is truly rare but both are very tough to find in mid grade or better.

I agree. Those are the two toughest. I’ve followed those titles pretty closely for 6+ years. 

Flash Comics isn’t an easy run, particularly if you’re looking for copies in grade or unrestored. There are about 10 more issues I’d list as “tough” but those two take the cake. 

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I have to start off saying, I am not particularily a Flash or DC collector per say, but I do pick up what I think is scarce stuff when given the chance. About 5 years ago, I was given the chance. A huge GA collection known locally as the "Paul" collection surfaced in the LA area. Most of them had "Paul" neatly written small on the cover. I got friendly with the buyer of the collection and was able to get into it first. The DCs that I hit first were the later issues of Flash, All Flash, All American and Green Lantern since I knew they were pretty tough to find. I grabbed all he had and most were there. Other than All Flash #32 that I've had a couple times, I haven't seen many of these since. These are all "Paul" copies.

comflash96.jpg

comflash92paul.jpg

comallflash31paul.jpg

comallflash32paul.jpg

The 92 isn’t all that challenging (relatively speaking), but it is super-awesome. Four great books there!

On 9/4/2012 at 10:39 PM, detective35DF said:

[font:Arial Black]Hello,

I spent years on researching and tracking down high grade Flashes with an emphasis on the Frisco's as (Joe Smqekle had a number of the MH's locked up).

I had a pedegree and/or high grade run of all he Moldoff covers up to #51, plus the #2, 6, 92

Legend: MH = Mile High/Church, SF= Sanfrancisco/Riley, NS - Nova Scotia

Allentown, Larson, D- Copy, NP - Non- Pedegree

Had

#2 (9.2), 6 (larsen), 7 (9.6 NS), 8 (8.5 NP, 8.0 Larson), 9 (larson), 10 (Allentown), 11 (9.2 NP), 13 (9.4 NP), 14 (9.4 NP), 15 (9.0 Larson), 17 (8.5 NP), 19 (9.0 NP), 21 (9.0 Larson), 23 (9.4 SF), 25 9.4 NP), 27 (9.2 NP), 29 (9.0 SF), 31 (9.2 NP), 33 (9.6 MH & 9.6 SF), 35 (9.6 SF), 37 (9.6 SF), 39(9.4 SF), 41 (9.4 MH, 9.2 SF)), 43 (9.6 SF) , 45 (9.6 SF), 47 (miss cut, but if ina holder 9.8 MH), 49 (9.6 SF), 51 (9.6 SF), 92 (9.4 NP or D' Copy..can't remember). + dozens of other pedegrees after 51 that I wasn't interested in.

The hardest to get, especially in grade were: (#2, #6, #9, #13, 25, 27, 29).

Pat K. was accurate in a few, but I literally spent years, hundreds of phone calls, and thousands of hours trying to dig them out of collections or even locate them.

Dwight[/font]

I know this is a very old post, but its such an impressive hunt for Flash comics!!! I'm new the boards though and if you're still out there fellow Flash fan maybe you would help me sponser a dedicated general Golden Age Flash thread?