• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Detectives (pre-Batman)

33 posts in this topic

Here is my Coverless Detective #4 actually presents I think very well for being coverless.

011.jpg

Here is a picture of the interior, all I need is to find a cover :roflmao:

015.jpg

I will pull out my Detective #13 and post a picture of that later.

Always liked the 26 as it's a pre-Batman Tec that mentions Batman! Interesting that the message shares the same page as a Bob Kane strip with masked kids.

DCGOLDdetective26k.jpg

:applause:

:cloud9:

Does the CGC recognize "the 1st Batman Ad" on the label, like they do for Action #1 or Superman etc.??

Huh... I don't think I've noticed that the "publishing office" was in St Louis at this point. I've never noticed business manager Fred B. Jeske's name associated with the company either.

Aha --a little ancestry.com sleuthing reveals that the Jeske family worked in the printing business. Looks like his brother ran or supervised the printer itself, his sister was a secretary, and he was a business manager.

Interestingly, there is a Jeske park in St Louis county in the town of his birth, Ferguson, MO. Looking at the timing, the Jeske family would probably have been one of the "founding" families of the town.

Anyway, thanks for the scan. Very interesting.

edited to add -- so this was with Donenfeld/Liebowitz distributing, but not yet actually Nicholson's business partners. Was having trouble with the timeline, but it fits... there's a quick series of business events there between the launch of vol 2 of More Fun and the actual launch of Detective. Good stuff.

Edited by markseifert

ok, I see... so Jeske worked for World Color Printing.

I hadn't realized World Color was originally located in St Louis (that 420 De Soto address is also listed for ACG, Rural Home, and other early comic publishers), or that DC had briefly used them during the Golden Age. Of course, they are famously known for the Sparta IL location during the Silver Age.

It seems that the St Louis Star started World Color to handle World's Fair printing in 1904, and subsequently found themselves looking for other uses (much in the way that Eastern Color had via Gaines).

In any case, interesting. Apparently the De Soto building still has World Color in concrete above the entrance.

WorldColorEntrance.jpg

http://www.nostalgiazone.com/doc/zine/06_V2N2/pilgrimage.htm#