• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MyComicShop bulletproof packaging? Eh, not so much.

17 posts in this topic

So...my last two orders from mycomicshop.com have arrived damaged. I'm not sure what the post office did to the boxes while they were enroute from Texas to Georgia, but both times the boxes were beat up pretty good and had impacted corners which, in turn, impacted the corners of the comics inside. (And I even paid extra for bags and boards to prevent this!) :pullhair:

MyComicShop has been good about accepting returns and giving me a refund, even if it takes a little while, but still...

The last time I bought from them for raw books they didn't leave much space to pad the book from the outside box. If they are still doing that, they should have different boxing strategies and offer that to the customer. Especially if buying expensive books which are tied to CONDITION. :eyeroll:

Not sure about your postal plant ? But ours is designed to destroy comics

The packages fly at high speed along under a scanner then a wacker arm hits them realy hard into a moving tray then they fall 4/5 feet into a steal bin (Steelish) were they stack up 3 feet deep sorted for postal code = bin gets dumped were humans toss them into postal codes boxes for trucks as fast as they can

I think boxes over the size these machines take are better off

( Spent a lot of nights at postal plant )

Sorry to hear that this happened. However, bagging and boarding the comics will not prevent this type of damage. I mean, unless you used slabs of lucite :insane: or somesuch as boards.

Yeah, bags and boards HELPS, but it's not the end all be all. It's been said that for high grade raw books the huge retailers are NOT the ones to use. If they want to change that perception it would start with improved grading accuracy and shipping methodology that shows they give a mess.

IMO, I'd stick to readers where you aren't paying for condition for MCS and MHS.

My last received CGC slab from MCS was in an oversized box stuffed with packing peanuts. The actual slab was in a cardboard shipping box. The large outer box was appeared to have been bounced arouns and was with a bit of a crush and had me somewhat concerned, but everything was cool as usual.

My last received CGC slab from MCS was in an oversized box stuffed with packing peanuts. The actual slab was in a cardboard shipping box. The large outer box was appeared to have been bounced arouns and was with a bit of a crush and had me somewhat concerned, but everything was cool as usual.

MCS has their own protective boxes for slabs. If you buy CGC, they have you covered. We're talking raw here.

The last time I bought from them for raw books they didn't leave much space to pad the book from the outside box. If they are still doing that, they should have different boxing strategies and offer that to the customer. Especially if buying expensive books which are tied to CONDITION. :eyeroll:

You hit the nail on the head. I think they've changed their packaging recently, because, in the past, I seem to remember them using slightly larger boxes that provided the extra space needed to prevent impacted corners and other damage due to rough handling.

I buy raw and slabbed from MCS fairly regularly. The only problem I've ever encountered was a book which had been overgraded. Full refund and an apology was issued with no problem.

My ONLY issue with them is non-US deliveries have to go to the address registered with my credit card so no shipping to work to avoid the prying eyes of my wife :(

It's been said that for high grade raw books the huge retailers are NOT the ones to use. If they want to change that perception it would start with improved grading accuracy and shipping methodology that shows they give a mess.

IMO, I'd stick to readers where you aren't paying for condition for MCS and MHS.

I would not hesitate to use MCS as a source for raw readers and run fillers. However, because their grading scale is VF and then NM, you really can't rely on pin point precision in grading. Obviously, this model works for them and their pricing is a hell of a lot better than Mile High.

I did notice one raw book graded as a 9.4. It wasn't a high dollar book and I'm tempted to buy it see if 9.4 is accurate.

I would not hesitate to use MCS as a source for raw readers and run fillers. However, because their grading scale is VF and then NM, you really can't rely on pin point precision in grading. Obviously, this model works for them and their pricing is a hell of a lot better than Mile High.

I totally agree. I don't get e-mailed Chuck's 90% off sales anymore---does he still have "sales"?

It happens to everybody. I like to think I provide pretty good packaging, but on my last sale one package arrived DESTROYED. It was amazing how badly it was damaged. Like they ran it over with a snowmobile. This thing was sandwiched between thick cardboard, wrapped in bubble wrap, placed inside a box with peanuts, and still basically got bent in half. Once I shipped some coins in a small priority box. I thought those things were pretty secure. The tattered remains of an empty package came back to me with a stamp stating it was not deliverable because the contents had been lost. That one hurt, it was like a $470 package :(

I’m not trying to disparage postal employees but I ordered a baby crib last year and when delivered to my house there were holes in the side which looked like impact from a fork-lift.

The fork-lift holes actually went right through the “fragile” sticker on the side of the box hm

So yea sometimes you can pack it “bomb proof” but then there are always people who can destroy a ball-bearing with a feather.

It's been said that for high grade raw books the huge retailers are NOT the ones to use. If they want to change that perception it would start with improved grading accuracy and shipping methodology that shows they give a mess.

I did notice one raw book graded as a 9.4. It wasn't a high dollar book and I'm tempted to buy it see if 9.4 is accurate.

On books over $10 now that actually provide a scan and the full graded scale. It's another feature that makes Mile High look like a dinosaur.

Heck, Mile High should just go back to the two page centerfold ads in comic books.

I totally agree. I don't get e-mailed Chuck's 90% off sales anymore---does he still have "sales"?

Yes, Mile High prices, marked up even higher during his sales. 50% off sale going on right now, which probably equates to about 10% off his regular high prices.