• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you still remember your first comic ?

105 posts in this topic

As a kid I was obsessed with world war 2.I had the huge G.I. Joes with all the accessories,the whole thing.My Dad was in the Battle of the Bulge,so he would tell me war stories that would freak me out.I started reading comics around 1968,at first it was the funny Beetle Bailey comics.I graduated to Sgt. Rock comics,then soon after everything else.I don't recall the exact comic I had, but it had to be some kind of Beetle Bailey comic.

I can't remember :cry:

I have no idea how all of you do hm

I was from a poor family and the few books I owned when I was young, I read so many times over the years they are ingrained on my brain.

I delivered newspapers after school and one lad a few years older than me used to get the Beano, he must have thought it came out a day later than it did as I used to keep it overnight, carefully read it then deliver it the next day.

It used to break my heart to give it up as it felt like it should be mine.

He stopped getting it after a while and I told him about it and he gave me a big pile as he wasn't bothered about them.

I was ecstatic :banana:

I can't really 100% remember for sure but I think my first comic was a Lobo #1 from the 4 part mini-series in the 90's. It might have also been one of the Marvel Comics Presents Weapon X issues (#74 or so). I remember both of them were early books I bought cause I thought the covers were pretty awesome.

Lobo1.jpg

Marvel_Comics_Presents_Vol_1_74.jpg

I got a box of comics from my grandparents that had belonged to my dad and his brother back in the 1950s, mostly Dell westerns, almost all of which I still have. The first comic that was "mine" was Action Comics 495 that my mom bought for me when I was 8 years old. I had it for years and read it to death. I don't know what happened to it, but the last time I saw it, it might have graded a 1.8. I have a much nicer one in my collection now, and for nostalgias sake, I bought a cgc 9.6 copy that is on the shelf in my office. I'd trade them both to have my original ratted out copy back, though!

My very first comic ever was that comic about Saint Francis from Marvel. I got it out of the quarter bin when I was about four. I stayed in the quarter bin for many years. My first "new" comic was Batman #428. I saw the cover and had to have it. Begged my mom. She thought 75 cents was too much for a comic but gave in and bought it for me :cloud9:

My very first comic ever was that comic about Saint Francis from Marvel. I got it out of the quarter bin when I was about four. I stayed in the quarter bin for many years. My first "new" comic was Batman #428. I saw the cover and had to have it. Begged my mom. She thought 75 cents was too much for a comic but gave in and bought it for me :cloud9:

Yeah, my Dad wasn't too pleased paying 50-60 cents for new books for me and would ALWAYS give me the "those were only a dime when i was a kid!!!' routine.

AWESOME! you should have freaking bought them and saved those damn dime issues for me Dad!!! :makepoint:

I cant never remember for sure but it was definitely 1 of these 3

This one was your first. Trust me.

av183.jpg

I'm actually like 51% sure it was the Godzilla3. My best friend had some comics before i ever did and i want to say i spent the night at his house once and read the Godzilla3 and wanted more comics. I know those 3 were DEFINITELY the 1st 3 i ever read just not sure on the order hm

My older cousin bequeathed a stack of beat-up Archie comics to me an my sister, but that wasn't when I started collecting.

I remember having an early issue of Marvel Team-Up and being curious about the way Spider-Man and Iron-Man called each other nicknames - Shellhead and Webhead, but that wasn't when I started collecting.

I also remember having Devil Dinosaur 1, but also not when I started collecting.

My collecting began with Marvel Tales 137 and Captain Carrot 3, bought off a spinner rack at a supermarket that is not longer there.

Remember it? I still own it.

It was either a Road Runner Whitman Comic or Marvel Comics Presents: Francis Brother of the Universe (I had great Aunt that was a nun.) I wish I could remember which it was.

I actually think it was the Road Runner comic and even though it is not in the greatest condition, I was thinking of getting it graded for posterity sake and to make sure it does not get lost in the shuffle.

I was about six years old out somewhere with my mom and I found FF #185 on the ground. I remember the cover use to kinda creep me out as a kid.

300pxfantasticfourvol11.jpg

We can't see the image of your 1st comic book, so I thought I'd lend a helping hand:

Z-FF185.jpg

I still have mine at home. I spent all my birthday money when I was 6 or seven on the first comics I ever bought. Not sure of the issue but the one that stands out is some early 90s CA DREK. I will try and find it. Before that I had read my cousin's early MAD magazines. Which I also now own. The first one I picked up was one with an ET spoof on the cover.

I still have mine at home. I spent all my birthday money when I was 6 or seven on the first comics I ever bought. Not sure of the issue but the one that stands out is some early 90s CA DREK. I will try and find it. Before that I had read my cousin's early MAD magazines. Which I also now own. The first one I picked up was one with an ET spoof on the cover.

This one? lol

Mad20-20ET.jpg

This one? lol

Mad20-20ET.jpg

Yes!! That exact one. He had a lot of much older copies but I was probably drawn to that one because I was familiar with the image of ET.

I think I started with Monster Magazines..then in school somehow I ended up getting subscriptions to several different comic books. Avengers,Avengers west coast,Xmen, and Star Wars I never saw a comic book store until I got back into the hobby years later.

But I had a grandfather that always gave me Mego's as presents when I was younger..Super Heroes,Star Trek..then when I got a bit older he would bring models like Aurora and monsters,then after the movie came out he would always have several Star Wars toys to give me.

He would always show up and hand me the keys to his car and I would go hunt in it for the toys..then he would give me all the money in his wallet

So began my love of monsters, sci fi ,comic books, and older dudes with money in their wallets!!