• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You can keep only 1 comic from your collection, which would it be ?

132 posts in this topic

wrightson01.jpg

I remember you telling the tale of Evel Knievel, why does the HOS #94 rank along side that, did you get it signed personally?

Back in my early days on the boards I was on the hunt for a nice copy of this book as it's my favorite Wrightson cover of all time. After searching high and low, I happened to acquire a beautiful copy from Shiverbones and I was beside myself with joy.

A few years later I was going through a divorce and my world was in shambles to say the least. During this time I liquidated every comic I owned aside from about 30 books that were dear to me, or otherwise worthless to anyone but me. This book was one of them. At least I thought it was. About a year later when I finally had my wits about me enough to start being interested in comics again, I noticed that my prized HoS book had somehow been sold. I couldn't remember selling it but it was gone.

Earlier this year I had a chance to get a few books signed by Wrightson. The one book I wanted to have signed more than anything was a HoS 94 but I had never replaced my old copy. The book is, in my opinion, the toughest Bronze HoS book to find in grade. I looked all over and the few I could find were ridiculously high priced. No way in hell could I afford to buy the book AND be able to get them signed and slabbed.

With only a few days to spare I'd already picked a few other books to have signed and given up on a HoS 94. One of my best friends in the world owns a LCS and although I know almost every book in his store like the back of my hand, he does acquire nice books from time to time so I thought I'd give him a call in a last ditch effort to pull a rabbit from my hat.

He says, "I don't remember having one but let me look in my computer as I just finished inventorying all my back issues and have them in a spreadsheet."

He says, "Yeah, I have a copy. Hang on and I'll go pull it and see what it looks like."

I'm thinking...6.0? 7.0? Nah...probably 4.0 or so. :cry:

He comes back to the phone and says, "Wow, this one was in a Mylite 2." Then he pulls the book out and says, "Wow, it has not one but TWO Fullbacks behind it. Someone took care of this book."

Then he opens the book and says, "This book is nice. Holy mess, someone even went to the trouble of putting buffer sheets behind each cover."

At this point, I'm drooling in disbelief.

Then he goes silent for a second and then says, "You know where I got this book? When you were getting divorced you brought several boxes of crappy books in here and I bought them from you. This book was in there with them."

I'm like... :o Completely in shock. He found my book! The one I bought from Matty!

I asked how much he wanted for it. I'd buy it back. He says, "Hell, I'll just mail it back to you and you can have it."

I almost sobbed I was so happy.

And I'll keep it until I die. My kids can sell it.

:o

Holy Smoke!!! No Freakin' WAY!!?

:o :o :o

Seriously?....You have kids?!?

Hulk1rawvg.jpg

Didn't you have this for sale recently, then changed your mind :baiting:

I had it for trade.. for another Hulk 1. I may sell this particular copy but only if another Hulk 1 was available to me. so maybe not this particular copy, but a Hulk1 is the last book to leave.

If I could only keep one, I wouldn't keep any. I'm not sure I could even pick a single title to keep.

Kind of with Cheetah, still could be any one of 20 books, especially Sig Line Books, why not this one

WW1.jpg

If I could only keep one, I wouldn't keep any. I'm not sure I could even pick a single title to keep.

Kind of with Cheetah, still could be any one of 20 books, especially Sig Line Books, why not this one

WW1.jpg

Pshaw, that's not even a 9.8. :eyeroll:

104435.jpg

Dice, this is pretty much the coolest book I have ever seen.

(assuming, as CGC believes, that you did not just sign it yourself)

Our Dad took us to see him in the late 70's jump buses, whole bunch of false starts, then stopping before the busses, then he did it, and straight off to hospital I believe. :cloud9: (he was cooler than Greggy :fear: )

I can't narrow it down to one, but I can narrow it down to two. :cloud9:

104435.jpg

wrightson01.jpg

I remember you telling the tale of Evel Knievel, why does the HOS #94 rank along side that, did you get it signed personally?

Back in my early days on the boards I was on the hunt for a nice copy of this book as it's my favorite Wrightson cover of all time. After searching high and low, I happened to acquire a beautiful copy from Shiverbones and I was beside myself with joy.

A few years later I was going through a divorce and my world was in shambles to say the least. During this time I liquidated every comic I owned aside from about 30 books that were dear to me, or otherwise worthless to anyone but me. This book was one of them. At least I thought it was. About a year later when I finally had my wits about me enough to start being interested in comics again, I noticed that my prized HoS book had somehow been sold. I couldn't remember selling it but it was gone.

Earlier this year I had a chance to get a few books signed by Wrightson. The one book I wanted to have signed more than anything was a HoS 94 but I had never replaced my old copy. The book is, in my opinion, the toughest Bronze HoS book to find in grade. I looked all over and the few I could find were ridiculously high priced. No way in hell could I afford to buy the book AND be able to get them signed and slabbed.

With only a few days to spare I'd already picked a few other books to have signed and given up on a HoS 94. One of my best friends in the world owns a LCS and although I know almost every book in his store like the back of my hand, he does acquire nice books from time to time so I thought I'd give him a call in a last ditch effort to pull a rabbit from my hat.

He says, "I don't remember having one but let me look in my computer as I just finished inventorying all my back issues and have them in a spreadsheet."

He says, "Yeah, I have a copy. Hang on and I'll go pull it and see what it looks like."

I'm thinking...6.0? 7.0? Nah...probably 4.0 or so. :cry:

He comes back to the phone and says, "Wow, this one was in a Mylite 2." Then he pulls the book out and says, "Wow, it has not one but TWO Fullbacks behind it. Someone took care of this book."

Then he opens the book and says, "This book is nice. Holy mess, someone even went to the trouble of putting buffer sheets behind each cover."

At this point, I'm drooling in disbelief.

Then he goes silent for a second and then says, "You know where I got this book? When you were getting divorced you brought several boxes of crappy books in here and I bought them from you. This book was in there with them."

I'm like... :o Completely in shock. He found my book! The one I bought from Matty!

I asked how much he wanted for it. I'd buy it back. He says, "Hell, I'll just mail it back to you and you can have it."

I almost sobbed I was so happy.

And I'll keep it until I die. My kids can sell it.

Two great books, with two great back stories.

:applause:

104435.jpg

Dice, this is pretty much the coolest book I have ever seen.

(assuming, as CGC believes, that you did not just sign it yourself)

Our Dad took us to see him in the late 70's jump buses, whole bunch of false starts, then stopping before the busses, then he did it, and straight off to hospital I believe. :cloud9: (he was cooler than Greggy :fear: )

Here is the thread I made right after getting the book signed.

When I was getting closer to the table where Evel was signing, I could see that the people were moving through without any conversation. The line was incredibly long and they were trying to rush people through as quickly as they could.

When I got up to the table I figured this was the one and only chance in my life to say anything to him, so I said, "Mr Knievel, I just want to thank you for all the wonderful childhood memories of you."

He looks over the top of his sunglasses and pauses for a second, then he gets up out of his chair. Mind you, he was using a walker to get around and had to use the walker and table to struggle out of the chair and to his feet. Then he walks around the table and sticks out his hand to shake mine and says, "No sir. Thank you. I couldn't have done all this crazy mess without you cheering me on."

It was a good day, man. A real good day. :cloud9:

"No sir. Thank you. I couldn't have done all this crazy mess without you cheering me on copious amounts of cocaine."

fixed it!

p.s.: That is AWESOME!

were they signing photos ala Lou Ferigno? or other comics?

"No sir. Thank you. I couldn't have done all this crazy mess without you cheering me on copious amounts of cocaine."

fixed it!

p.s.: That is AWESOME!

were they signing photos ala Lou Ferigno? or other comics?

Nah. He signed anything you brought up but you were limited to two pieces.

If I could only keep one book it would be this one. The legion is what got me into reading comics back in 1966. When I started collecting in the mid 80's this was my GRAIL. Sure was a great feeling when I got my first copy.

adv247c2.jpg

Not quite as much of a thrill when I got copy 2 a few years later. but it is the keeper

adv247.jpg