• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomb Of Dracula #1

103 posts in this topic

This is one of my all time favorite 'bronze age' comic books! I snagged my CGC 9.4 in a C-Link auction for $290. I could easily sell it for more on eBay. It has snow white pages.

That being said, this is always in demand. As someone said, do not make the mistake of correlating demand with how many copies are graded. If that was the case a lot of 'key' issues from both the 'bronze' and even the 'silver' age would be almost worthless. Same would be true for certain coins worth thousands.

Prices are stable in the 9.2/9.4 range. In the upper high grades; most bronze and even some silver age books are falling. They cannot substain the high multiples early collectors placed on these books. I said this before and I will say it again. I paid $290 for my CGC 9.4. Several years ago collectors were paying $3,000 for a 9.8 (now this book sells for about $900-$1000 in 9.8). Of course prices will 'slip' in this grade range. Why would anyone think that a 9.8 is worth ten times as a 9.4? Oh I get it, because everyone else thought so. Speculation at its finest.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I remember the days when this book was fetching $2k in 9.8...now easily a 50% lob. I don't have #1 yet but I am collecting the series, when it's beneficial for me to obtain the books.
I remember the days when you could pull these out of $1 and .25 boxes. lol

I remember the days when this book was fetching $2k in 9.8...now easily a 50% lob. I don't have #1 yet but I am collecting the series, when it's beneficial for me to obtain the books.
I remember the days when you could pull these out of $1 and .25 boxes. lol

I bought mine for $5 back in the days when bronze horror was considered mess.

Tomb of Dracula was one of the best runs of the Bronze age because it was largely consistent through all 70 issues, with amazing Gene Colan art.

But what sold me was issue 10. Yeah, it's the first app. of Blade, but that's incidental to my favorite part. When we first meet Dracula in # 10, he's slumming aboard a cruise ship filled with Hollywood directors, producers, and models.

And he can't handle it, because they're insufficiently_thoughtful_persons, and he's royalty:

"You've met our new friends, Graves--writers, actors, even princes--all men of importance. And all FOOLS! Weaklings, effeminite fops and mindless females."

So he seduces a model by calling her a "most intelligent girl" ("Gosh! No one ever said that to me before!") before killing her.

He goes on to hijack the ship and entrance its passengers:

"You are spineless worms, beneath my pitiless contempt!"

The series is awesome.

I'm trying to return us back to those days. :whistle:

Eh. I was lucky enough to buy the title off the rack for 20 cents an issue. While that's cool, it also means I'm old as Methuselah. :preach:

Are the stories any good?

First few issues are quite mediocre.  Wolfman takes over with issue 7, starts getting better with the Blade intro, issue 10, and soon it becomes one of the most consistently excellent horror books of the 70s.

+1

Wofman did a fantastic job of weaving Dracula seamlessly into the Marvel Universe. The story arc with Dr. Strange was a masterpiece. Colan's art was perfect for the series.

Like a lot of bronze keys, the price has actually dropped some on 9.6 and 9.8, while remaining mostly stable in 9.2/9.4.

GPA has the following 12 mo average prices on the book

9.2/$217 9.4/$317 9.6/$491 9.8/$1298.

I am collecting the series, when it's beneficial for me to obtain the books.

That's where I'm at - I like the books, and I'm trying to build the series in VF or better. Just a cool series from the BA, in my opinion. I feel the same way about WWBN.

That's where I'm at - I like the books, and I'm trying to build the series in VF or better. Just a cool series from the BA, in my opinion. I feel the same way about WWBN.

Absolutely, WWBN was another great BA series. I loved the way the stories were told from the perspective of the Werewolf. And since this thread started out about TOD, just let me observe that WWBN 15 with it's Dracula Vs Werewolf cover by Ploog is one of my all time favorites.

WWBN15.jpg

I'm trying to return us back to those days. :whistle:

Eh. I was lucky enough to buy the title off the rack for 20 cents an issue. While that's cool, it also means I'm old as Methuselah. :preach:

:golfclap:

Absolutely, WWBN was another great BA series. I loved the way the stories were told from the perspective of the Werewolf. And since this thread started out about TOD, just let me observe that WWBN 15 with it's Dracula Vs Werewolf cover by Ploog is one of my all time favorites.

WWBN15.jpg

Pure Ploog brilliance! I love the color balances on that cover.

WWBN is an incredible series as well. So is the 'Monster of Frankenstein.'

Most of the Marvel bronze' age of horror is good. Even All of the DC stuff is well worth owning. It is also much harder to find in high grade.

'mint'

Fixed that for ya.

WWBN is an incredible series as well. So is the 'Monster of Frankenstein.'

Most of the Marvel bronze' age of horror is good. Even All of the DC stuff is well worth owning. It is also much harder to find in high grade.

'mint'

Fixed that for ya.

He he...

I was waiting for a DC fan to do something like that...

In all honesty I agree. I am still looking for that copy of HOS 92 in high grade. I thought I almost reached a deal, but the seller wanted too much.

Kind Regards,

'mint'