• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the 3PG grade

19 posts in this topic

I forgot to post this a couple days ago when I posted the ASM 52. I received this book in the mail also. 3PG notes the following flaws:

Corner Blunting F4

Edge Defect F3

Corner Blunting B3

Spine STress Lines

Corner Cut F6

White Pages

No idea how the F3.. F4.. etc stuff works..

MS28.jpg

There is no slab damage. It free floats between two pieces of plastic (not sure what kind of material it is) and these four corner poster things clamp down on all sides. The book doesn't move at all and there's no inner well for it to hit if it were to move. I have yet to figure out how to get the corner posts off. While not the most sophisticated slab, it definately looks like it keeps the book as safe or safer than CGG/CGC slabs.

Brian

There is no slab damage. It free floats between two pieces of plastic (not sure what kind of material it is) and these four corner poster things clamp down on all sides. The book doesn't move at all and there's no inner well for it to hit if it were to move. I have yet to figure out how to get the corner posts off. While not the most sophisticated slab, it definately looks like it keeps the book as safe or safer than CGG/CGC slabs.

Brian

Well if it's suppose to be like that and there is no slab damage then I'll go 8.5.

smirk.gif

a toughie.........the crookedness in the slab gives the impression of defects that aren't there. i would guess this is an 8.0.........haven't heard much about 3pg - would be interesting to get one and check out their slab........ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Note that 3pg noted it as a "Corner Cut"

And for the unveiling..?

3PG graded this book a NM- 93!! It's a gorgeous book if you ignore the LRC. However, I think it's overgraded due to the missing corner.

Brian

Note that 3pg noted it as a "Corner Cut"

And for the unveiling..?

3PG graded this book a NM- 93!! It's a gorgeous book if you ignore the LRC. However, I think it's overgraded due to the missing corner.

Brian

i'm not saying it couldn't be a 9.2, but just read that list of published defects and think where it would be with CGC or (god-forbid) CGG. shocked.gif are they known to be generous graders??

anyway - nice book and congrats on the grade 893applaud-thumb.gif

Brian

The book is sitting between 2 sheets. That means that there is pressure on the cover of the book. If or when the book is dropped or gets "jerked" around during shipping, the cover will "stick" to the plastic(mylar?) it is in, but the rest of the book (the interior) will still move partially or fully ripping the interior from the cover at the staples. That is why we did not go with this design.

Also, that holder can be twisted by hand, changing the grade without the case looking ruined. Just ask the guys from the philly dinner, Gary plat brought one with him and was twisting it for us blush.gif

Interesting, I didn't try twisting it or dropping it. I guess I'm not very good at trying to damage books tongue.gif

Do you have any idea how you get the posts off? I want to look at the book, but can't figure them out.

Brian