• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Buyer Protection Case Question - Updated

57 posts in this topic

Hi, I recently bought some raw comics off of Ebay (I know, big mistake). The total cost was roughly $130.00.

Before the seller sent the items, I messaged her through Ebay and Paypal to please send the items in a well-padded box so that they do not get damaged. However, the seller shipped them via Fed Ex, in an envelope!!! Clearly, she did not listen to my prior shipping request.

Not surprisingly, the comics arrived damaged. I contacted the seller and explained the situation and requested a full refund. She responded that her packaging was great and there is no way my comics are damaged. She rudely told me to just file an insurance claim through Fed Ex, which is limited to $100 in coverage, and that she will not give me a refund.

I then filed an Ebay Buyer Protection claim.

She then e-mailed me today that I should still file thru Fed Ex for the first $100 and then she would refund me the remaining $30 thru Paypal.

I know that if I continue with my Ebay Buyer Protection claim that I will most likely get all my money back. However, I am not looking to hurt anyone financially, so I understand why she would want me to get the first $100 thru Fed Ex. I have no problem with this assuming that I will definitely get the $100 from Fed Ex and the $30 from the seller.

My question is, does anyone have experience in filing a claim through Fed Ex? Is it possible that Fed Ex will deny my claim? If so, do you know what Fed Ex requires in order to successfully file an insurance claim?

I'm also worried that if Fed Ex does approve my $100 claim, then the seller will back out on refunding me the rest of the money and Ebay will cancel the Buyer Protection claim because I have already been partially paid by Fed Ex.

Should I continue with my Ebay Buyer protection claim or should I try to file through Fed Ex for the first $100 and hope that the seller refunds me the remaining money?

Sorry for the long message, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Should I continue with my Ebay Buyer protection claim

Yes.

Seller is responsible for it arriving to you undamaged.

It didn't, so the seller is on the hook.

SHE can file a claim with fedex to try and get her money back.

Should I continue with my Ebay Buyer protection claim

Yes.

Seller is responsible for it arriving to you undamaged.

It didn't, so the seller is on the hook.

SHE can file a claim with fedex to try and get her money back.

+1

She's at fault. Why should you be doing what she is supposed to ?

Claims due to improper packaging are denied.

Of course, at $100 it may get paid anyway, but why should you participate in what amounts to theft from Fedex or their insurer?

This is true. The claim will be denied if it was not packaged in a way that would prevent damage.

Not to mention that FedEx insurance does not pay for damages to collectables. You can buy all the insurance you want, but if it's damaged and you file a claim you get nothing and like it.

Agree with all the above posters. FedEx will deny your claim and you'll end up with nothing. And FYI, YOU aren't the customer with FedEx...she is so she would have to file the claim, not you. You have no recourse with FedEx....

Continue with the eBay buyer protection. It's there for a reason. And you also have Paypal buyer protection and hopefully you used your credit card as well. So you should have multiple layers of protection.

Hopefully it's a cheap lesson learned.

Hi, I recently bought some raw comics off of Ebay (I know, big mistake). The total cost was roughly $130.00.

Before the seller sent the items, I messaged her through Ebay and Paypal to please send the items in a well-padded box so that they do not get damaged. However, the seller shipped them via Fed Ex, in an envelope!!! Clearly, she did not listen to my prior shipping request.

Not surprisingly, the comics arrived damaged. I contacted the seller and explained the situation and requested a full refund. She responded that her packaging was great and there is no way my comics are damaged. She rudely told me to just file an insurance claim through Fed Ex, which is limited to $100 in coverage, and that she will not give me a refund.

I then filed an Ebay Buyer Protection claim.

She then e-mailed me today that I should still file thru Fed Ex for the first $100 and then she would refund me the remaining $30 thru Paypal.

I know that if I continue with my Ebay Buyer Protection claim that I will most likely get all my money back. However, I am not looking to hurt anyone financially, so I understand why she would want me to get the first $100 thru Fed Ex. I have no problem with this assuming that I will definitely get the $100 from Fed Ex and the $30 from the seller.

My question is, does anyone have experience in filing a claim through Fed Ex? Is it possible that Fed Ex will deny my claim? If so, do you know what Fed Ex requires in order to successfully file an insurance claim?

I'm also worried that if Fed Ex does approve my $100 claim, then the seller will back out on refunding me the rest of the money and Ebay will cancel the Buyer Protection claim because I have already been partially paid by Fed Ex.

Should I continue with my Ebay Buyer protection claim or should I try to file through Fed Ex for the first $100 and hope that the seller refunds me the remaining money?

Sorry for the long message, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Who is the eBay Seller? I will venture a guess. Since you said it was a "her," perhaps it was tinkie1100 you were dealing with?

If not, who is it? Give us the eBay ID. You will be doing a public service to the forum if you tell us. I buy alot high grade "raw" books off eBay, and I want to avoid this individual you dealt with. I'm sure others here will appreciate the ID as well.

She sent comic books loosely in a FedEx envelope? Geez! doh!

Filing an insurance claim with FedEx will take forever. Paperwork, red tape, etc. They will deny it in all probability. Tell her to forget that.

You need to continue with your eBay Buyer protection claim. This was an eBay transaction, so keep it there.

If I were you, I would take photos. Show the FedEx envelope and damaged comic books. This way, you can send her photos and also provide them to eBay as they investigate this.

When you instructed her to ship it in a securely packaged manner, did you send these instructions via the eBay message system? In your PayPal payment? Reason I ask is this will also be evidence to provide eBay in their investigation.

It's obvious she was negligent, but now won't own up to it!

Ship the damaged comics back to her securely. Package the damaged books well as you wanted them to arrive to you. Get tracking. Again, take photos of your pack job each step of the way. I know it sounds like a pain in the arse, but you need to cover your's! Trust my advice on this!

Just by the fact she is trying to get you t file a FedEx insurance claim, I want to avaoid this eBay Seller like the plague.

I'm begging you to give us her ID so we can avoid dealing with her.

Bottom line: continue with my Ebay Buyer protection claim!

As mentioned just follow through with the PayPal case and have them force her to issue a full refund.

I am dealing with 2 insufficiently_thoughtful_persons for similar issues for raw comics received this week. The one guy had the comics sandwiched between 2 oddly cut pieces of cardboard cutout from a MRE case. He then was kind enough to package this up in not a box, not an envelope, not even a Papa Johns pizza box, but he used a brown paper bag like you would get from a grocery store along with some scotch tape. Imagine my shock when it was delivered, the brown paper bag was ripped up and one of the two comics was hanging out an inch from within the bag. :)

The second clown shipped a couple comics in a cheap envelope between the two thinnest pieces of cardboard possible and then when the envelope arrived all bent to hell and I told him I was sending them back for a refund he tells me no refunds, it isn't his problem if the USPS damages it, and that eBay will side with him telling me I need to take it up with the USPS. Yeah I laughed a bunch and just simply responded with, oh I see you have never had a PayPal SNAD filed against you before, I will be happy to show you the ropes and I look forward to my forced refund here shortly.

As mentioned just follow through with the PayPal case and have them force her to issue a full refund.

I am dealing with 2 insufficiently_thoughtful_persons for similar issues for raw comics received this week. The one guy had the comics sandwiched between 2 oddly cut pieces of cardboard cutout from a MRE case. He then was kind enough to package this up in not a box, not an envelope, not even a Papa Johns pizza box, but he used a brown paper bag like you would get from a grocery store along with some scotch tape. Imagine my shock when it was delivered, the brown paper bag was ripped up and one of the two comics was hanging out an inch from within the bag. :)

The second clown shipped a couple comics in a cheap envelope between the two thinnest pieces of cardboard possible and then when the envelope arrived all bent to hell and I told him I was sending them back for a refund he tells me no refunds, it isn't his problem if the USPS damages it, and that eBay will side with him telling me I need to take it up with the USPS. Yeah I laughed a bunch and just simply responded with, oh I see you have never had a PayPal SNAD filed against you before, I will be happy to show you the ropes and I look forward to my forced refund here shortly.

doh! followed by a :headbang:

Not to hijack the thread but today's eBay seller of the day shipped me a raw comic in a very cheap and flimsy CHRISTMAS like gift box which fell apart halfway in route. Imagine my shock when I open the box up and the once advertised MINT comic is now in poor condition. :facepalm:

I will be shipping this one back for a refund along with the others it looks like.

I did receive a great response though today from the seller who shipped some raw comics in a brown paper grocery bag. He told me he ships like this all the time and has never had a problem before. He was kind enough to point out how the USPS fouled up by destroying the brown paper bag in route and that he will take this into consideration for future shipments.

No offer to make things right with shipping them back for a refund. Nothing. So 1 star across the board and negative feedback pointing out buyer beware unless you like comics in brown paper grocery bags. :)

Not to hijack the thread but today's eBay seller of the day shipped me a raw comic in a very cheap and flimsy CHRISTMAS like gift box which fell apart halfway in route. Imagine my shock when I open the box up and the once advertised MINT comic is now in poor condition. :facepalm:

I will be shipping this one back for a refund along with the others it looks like.

I did receive a great response though today from the seller who shipped some raw comics in a brown paper grocery bag. He told me he ships like this all the time and has never had a problem before. He was kind enough to point out how the USPS fouled up by destroying the brown paper bag in route and that he will take this into consideration for future shipments.

No offer to make things right with shipping them back for a refund. Nothing. So 1 star across the board and negative feedback pointing out buyer beware unless you like comics in brown paper grocery bags. :)

(thumbs u You are doing other potential buyers a favor. Too many eBay sellers overgrade, package comics poorly, etc. and figure if anyone complains then they will refund that person's money, leaving them still ahead of the game because other buyers will simply accept the lousy service. The buyer, happy to have received a refund, leaves positive feedback. Way too many awful sellers have perfect or nearly perfect feeback.

Update:

So I told the seller that I will continue with the Ebay Buyer Protection Case rather than file a claim with Fed Ex.

This is her response:

"Ok. I too will continue with eBay. My ad did not offer returns; therefore, you will be liable for filing a claim with FedEx. Please do not return anything. I attempted to reach a fair resolution. You cannot pick and choose when to file for insurance when an item is covered, so this will be noted in the claim. Again, do not return anything."

and then another response from her:

"As this communication is monitored, this is my official request for photographs of the damaged item. Also, if you return anything to me in the mail it will void insurance. This is my secind request which is documented for no return. You will need to hold on to the item until further notice. Please send photos that clearly display piece broken...not far away shots, but up close."

My response was that I will send her the photos, no problem. I also explained that it is my understanding that Fed Ex insurance will not cover any "collectibles", and that I will return the item if/when Ebay tells me to.

What do you think of her comments?

Thanks.

Is there a chance that Ebay will deny my Buyer Protection claim because there is technically $100 in insurance on this item thru Fed Ex, even if Fed Ex will likely deny my claim as the item is a collectible?

Also, should I file a claim with Fed Ex TOO just in case my Ebay claim is denied? I have heard that a Fed Ex insurance claim must be filed within 15 days of the item being mailed. If so, tomorrow is day 15.

Thanks!