• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Buyer Protection Case Question - Updated

57 posts in this topic

Is there a chance that Ebay will deny my Buyer Protection claim because there is technically $100 in insurance on this item thru Fed Ex, even if Fed Ex will likely deny my claim as the item is a collectible?

Also, should I file a claim with Fed Ex TOO just in case my Ebay claim is denied? I have heard that a Fed Ex insurance claim must be filed within 15 days of the item being mailed. If so, tomorrow is day 15.

Thanks!

No, the burden is on her to file any sort of postal claim - just follow the normal ebay claims process and you should do just fine.

Update:

So I told the seller that I will continue with the Ebay Buyer Protection Case rather than file a claim with Fed Ex.

This is her response:

"Ok. I too will continue with eBay. My ad did not offer returns; therefore, you will be liable for filing a claim with FedEx. Please do not return anything. I attempted to reach a fair resolution. You cannot pick and choose when to file for insurance when an item is covered, so this will be noted in the claim. Again, do not return anything."

and then another response from her:

"As this communication is monitored, this is my official request for photographs of the damaged item. Also, if you return anything to me in the mail it will void insurance. This is my secind request which is documented for no return. You will need to hold on to the item until further notice. Please send photos that clearly display piece broken...not far away shots, but up close."

My response was that I will send her the photos, no problem. I also explained that it is my understanding that Fed Ex insurance will not cover any "collectibles", and that I will return the item if/when Ebay tells me to.

What do you think of her comments?

Thanks.

Fedex will cover collectibles up to a maximum of $1000.

"Here are the photos. You will have to file your own claim though, because the damage was due to inadequate packaging. I will hold onto all the packaging and will be happy to show it to the fedex representative and point this out to them if necessary."

And to add that the "I said no refunds" line doesn't hold any water with eBay or Paypal.

Just file a claim through them. You'll get your money back and she'll get her damaged mess back.

Be sure you leave her a neg just for being a "trifling person_without_enough_empathy."

Hi, I recently bought some raw comics off of Ebay (I know, big mistake). The total cost was roughly $130.00.

Before the seller sent the items, I messaged her through Ebay and Paypal to please send the items in a well-padded box so that they do not get damaged. However, the seller shipped them via Fed Ex, in an envelope!!! Clearly, she did not listen to my prior shipping request.

Not surprisingly, the comics arrived damaged. I contacted the seller and explained the situation and requested a full refund. She responded that her packaging was great and there is no way my comics are damaged. She rudely told me to just file an insurance claim through Fed Ex, which is limited to $100 in coverage, and that she will not give me a refund.

I then filed an Ebay Buyer Protection claim.

She then e-mailed me today that I should still file thru Fed Ex for the first $100 and then she would refund me the remaining $30 thru Paypal.

I know that if I continue with my Ebay Buyer Protection claim that I will most likely get all my money back. However, I am not looking to hurt anyone financially, so I understand why she would want me to get the first $100 thru Fed Ex. I have no problem with this assuming that I will definitely get the $100 from Fed Ex and the $30 from the seller.

My question is, does anyone have experience in filing a claim through Fed Ex? Is it possible that Fed Ex will deny my claim? If so, do you know what Fed Ex requires in order to successfully file an insurance claim?

I'm also worried that if Fed Ex does approve my $100 claim, then the seller will back out on refunding me the rest of the money and Ebay will cancel the Buyer Protection claim because I have already been partially paid by Fed Ex.

Should I continue with my Ebay Buyer protection claim or should I try to file through Fed Ex for the first $100 and hope that the seller refunds me the remaining money?

Sorry for the long message, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I think you've had some conflicting advice. So I'm going back to your original post. You could probably settle this via a couple of routes. However, the best choice for you is to do what you have done. File the Buyer Protection claim with eBay. That is what it is there for. The sellers statement about no returns is totally and completely inconsequential. When she listed the item on eBay she agreed to eBay's rules and they include the Buyer Protection process. If sellers don't want to have to take items back, they need to sell them on Craigslist or in yard sales. eBay no longer works like that.

You will absolutely get your money back from eBay. It won't even take very long. Carefully follow eBays instructions about returning the books.

The seller is the one that has a "contract" with Fedex to deliver the package. Any insurance claim is done by her. Any problems she has regarding getting reimbursed by Fedex are totally and completely her problems, not yours. If she didn't take out enough insurance (Fedex will cover up to $1000 on collectibles - but you have to purchase the insurance), if the seller didn't pack securely enough to suit Fedex - these are the sellers problems.

I sell a lot. I ship a lot. I buy a lot of stuff. So I'm speaking from experience.

OK, so my Ebay Buyer Protection case is still open! I haven't heard anything from Ebay since 09/11 and the case status page says that I should have an answer by 09/21/12, which was yesterday.

Does anyone know what my next step is? I can't figure out how to contact Ebay to find out why my case has not been settled yet.

Thanks.

Theres a phone number right in the resolution center area, I beleive these are the numbers here 1-800-322-9266 or 1-800-749-3229.

When I had a problem I phoned and the case moved along quite quickly. Good luck.

Thanks for the ph# (I still can't find it on their web page), but the ph# just tells me to use "Live Chat" on the website. However, "Live Chat" is also nowhere to be found on the webpage.

I should have just filed a Pay Pal claim. I understand that Pay Pal is much faster to resolve these issues.

I wonder, can I file a Pay Pal claim now and cancel the Ebay claim?

Hmm, Good question. hm

the only way to find out is to contact Paypal, they do work together and can access each others casefiles so I'd just get hold of them and see if they have any advice or if they can take over the case.

Is there a chance that Ebay will deny my Buyer Protection claim because there is technically $100 in insurance on this item thru Fed Ex, even if Fed Ex will likely deny my claim as the item is a collectible?

Also, should I file a claim with Fed Ex TOO just in case my Ebay claim is denied? I have heard that a Fed Ex insurance claim must be filed within 15 days of the item being mailed. If so, tomorrow is day 15.

Thanks!

Have you heard back from Ebay? I'd only answer her in the claim itself. When someone answers you in such an aggressive manner, you need to keep protecting yourself. Have you tried calling eBay? There is usually a link with a phone number...if you do, make sure to keep a record of the date and the time. I'm confident you will be OK, but keep your complaints with eBay and Paypal active and up to date...

I hate to say this, since I'm female, but the worst eBay seller I ever dealt with was female, she shipped a book to me in a re-used manilla envelope and it was "my" fault the book arrived torn in two.

Edit: I see that nocutename gave you a link, I guess I started answering and my phone rang;) . Good luck, and do call them!

Call paypal and explain the situation... they will tell you it is not their jurisdiction in this case and then they will transfer you to a live eBay operator.

I have done that on the few times that I needed to get a live person from eBay

I just "won" my last two cases where the Buyer tried to sham their claims down my throat and force me to refund them, and they cried the blues.

Just because PayPal says that you MUST refund if they pull this "not as described" just to get their money back, they take other factors in consideration.

But I have two more strange cases today, just today, and I will start a separate Thread to see where we are all at...

CAL the sometimes eBay Seller...

OK, so I finally won my Ebay Buyer Protection case!

However, the decision tells me to return the item to a P.O. Box address, plus the name of the seller is different than the name on the return address on the box that the item arrived in...

The item was sent to me by Fed Ex, but I can't send it back by Fed Ex because Fed Ex apparently does not deliver to P.O. Box addresses in the US.

I can send it back by USPS, but it is my understanding that Delivery Confirmation will only show that the item is delivered to the P.O. Box if it fits in the actual P.O. Box. If it does not fit in the P.O. box, which it probably won't, then the USPS sends a card to the recipient asking them to pick up the item.

Now, what if the recipient refuses to pick up the package from the post office? Does that mean that the Delievery Confirmation will not show that the item has been delievered and, therefore, Ebay will not give me my refund???

Thanks in advance again!!!

OK, so I finally won my Ebay Buyer Protection case!

However, the decision tells me to return the item to a P.O. Box address, plus the name of the seller is different than the name on the return address on the box that the item arrived in...

The item was sent to me by Fed Ex, but I can't send it back by Fed Ex because Fed Ex apparently does not deliver to P.O. Box addresses in the US.

I can send it back by USPS, but it is my understanding that Delivery Confirmation will only show that the item is delivered to the P.O. Box if it fits in the actual P.O. Box. If it does not fit in the P.O. box, which it probably won't, then the USPS sends a card to the recipient asking them to pick up the item.

Now, what if the recipient refuses to pick up the package from the post office? Does that mean that the Delievery Confirmation will not show that the item has been delievered and, therefore, Ebay will not give me my refund???

Thanks in advance again!!!

You should ask ebay. I have actually had ebay one time send me PDF files for shipping labels at their expense. That was cool