• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why CGC is the Only Choice for 3rd Party Comic Book Grading!

151 posts in this topic

It would never work. Grading between the 2 sites will never be uniform. One will be perceived to be softer than the other and everyone would send their books there then they will tignten up and people will submit to the other site and so on.

It would be much simpler to hire more people to reduce TATs. If the building in Florida is too small then they can move or expand it.

Why can't the grading standards be uniform? What if they rotated the graders around? Then no branch would be considered "soft."

For example, 6 months in Florida. 6 months in California (for arguement's sake.) I realize if the CGC graders are married and have families, this would be tough. Not so much if the graders are single.

How does one become a comic book grader at CGC?

Do they have a certification program where CGC can test their graders periodically? If CGC doesn't have such a program, they should.

Think about all the relo expense that would be involved in rotating graders from site to site, and I can see their expenses (and prices) increasing.

It would never work. Grading between the 2 sites will never be uniform. One will be perceived to be softer than the other and everyone would send their books there then they will tignten up and people will submit to the other site and so on.

It would be much simpler to hire more people to reduce TATs. If the building in Florida is too small then they can move or expand it.

Why can't the grading standards be uniform? What if they rotated the graders around? Then no branch would be considered "soft."

For example, 6 months in Florida. 6 months in California (for arguement's sake.) I realize if the CGC graders are married and have families, this would be tough. Not so much if the graders are single.

How does one become a comic book grader at CGC?

Do they have a certification program where CGC can test their graders periodically? If CGC doesn't have such a program, they should.

They grade comics, they are not secret agents! You really think people would be happy to move away for 6 months? Who pays for their second house? what about the kids and school? wifes job? family and friends?

What if one site has a backlog and the other site has employees sitting around waiting for comics to arrive.

It's just not realistic.

I am going to answer this question from another perspective. I understand that most people here think that comic books are a top tier collectible and extremely popular, but the truth of the matter is, they do not even rank in the top ten of all items collected. I have shown documentation on this and mentioned this in multiple threads so I will not visit topic this again. This is not the topic I am attempting to discuss in this regard.

That being said, one of the main reason CGC has not seen any 'aggresssive' competition (I do not consider PGX to be on the same playing field as CGC due to a lack of consumer confidence); is because it would take a consider amount of capital to get into this limited market (note: it took CGC well over ten years to encapsulate two million books and this included resubs). It is like an oligopoly. Oligopoly being the key word. One must look at the total number of collectors versus the size of the overall market. I am asking in general; can the market support two major third party grading companies without causing mass confusion? Keep in mind the comic book hobby cannot even come together on a working definition of something as simple as 'pressing.'

The barrier to entry and the cost to gain collector's confidence in the marketplace is very high. This is why a company already established in third party grading (i.e. The Collector's Society) chose to enter; and at the time, enter alone.

That being said, I am NOT naive enough to think it can't or won't happen. All I am saying (and I have said this before) sometimes 'tunnel vision' prevents us from looking at the 'big picture.'

However, ONE could also ask why the Collector's Society has not branched off into other collecting realms that are not already being graded and encapsultaed? Unfortunately, by answering the initial question asked; I also answered that question as well (size of market, cost of entering, analysis of pursuing the chosen enterprise, etc.).

In conclusion, please understand that I am unbiased collector and dealer who has my 'hands' in most aspects of the ANTIQUES AND COLLECTIBLES trade. Therefore, my opinion is based on an analysis of the market from a much broader angle. I am sure many will disagree as a result.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

I am going to answer this question from another perspective. I understand that most people here think that comic books are a top tier collectible and extremely popular, but the truth of the matter is, they do not even rank in the top ten of all items collected.

Not disputing this but could you tell me what you think the top ten collected items are?

I think there would be a stronger chance for a franchise ie CGC Canada, NY, CA any new owner with strong background in comics (Steve Borok) could pop up anywhere in the US with a new location and build up another facility and team of graders etc. Not to compete with Sarasota, but to divide and conquer. Yes I think I rather see that before another new grading co.

Apart from the problems others have noted, you'd incur a new set of fixed costs (building, machinery, admin etc) for only marginal benefits. Expanding the existing staff and/or facility would be much higher up the cost-benefit curve.

I thought that TNMT story was B.S. from the start, and moreso after that story started to unravel. And then Magic Dan dissappears, never to be seen in these parts again. :screwy:

He had received his check. What more did he have to say to people that love to talk comics, and make friends?

Plus, he had his honeeeeyyy. :P

I am going to answer this question from another perspective. I understand that most people here think that comic books are a top tier collectible and extremely popular, but the truth of the matter is, they do not even rank in the top ten of all items collected. I have shown documentation on this and mentioned this in multiple threads so I will not visit topic this again. This is not the topic I am attempting to discuss in this regard.

That being said, one of the main reason CGC has not seen any 'aggresssive' competition (I do not consider PGX to be on the same playing field as CGC due to a lack of consumer confidence); is because it would take a consider amount of capital to get into this limited market (note: it took CGC well over ten years to encapsulate two million books and this included resubs). It is like an oligopoly. Oligopoly being the key word. One must look at the total number of collectors versus the size of the overall market. I am asking in general; can the market support two major third party grading companies without causing mass confusion? Keep in mind the comic book hobby cannot even come together on a working definition of something as simple as 'pressing.'

The barrier to entry and the cost to gain collector's confidence in the marketplace is very high. This is why a company already established in third party grading (i.e. The Collector's Society) chose to enter; and at the time, enter alone.

That being said, I am NOT naive enough to think it can't or won't happen. All I am saying (and I have said this before) sometimes 'tunnel vision' prevents us from looking at the 'big picture.'

However, ONE could also ask why the Collector's Society has not branched off into other collecting realms that are not already being graded and encapsultaed? Unfortunately, by answering the initial question asked; I also answered that question as well (size of market, cost of entering, analysis of pursuing the chosen enterprise, etc.).

In conclusion, please understand that I am unbiased collector and dealer who has my 'hands' in most aspects of the ANTIQUES AND COLLECTIBLES trade. Therefore, my opinion is based on an analysis of the market from a much broader angle. I am sure many will disagree as a result.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

I agree...barriers to entry and a limited market share gain is preventing competition. Also, CGC has had a decade to be the "standard"...and as you say we can't even agree on some of the basics.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

I agree...barriers to entry and a limited market share gain is preventing competition. Also, CGC has had a decade to be the "standard"...and as you say we can't even agree on some of the basics.

Wall Street Journal did an article that explained why collecting comics is the only collectible that has sustained some sort of value throughout the years.

Look at sport cards...they fell out of the face of the earth in the late 90s.

Find me a collectible that was released six years ago that still gaining monitory value.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

Wall Street Journal did an article that explained why collecting comics is the only collectible that has sustained some sort of value throughout the years.

Look at sport cards...they fell out of the face of the earth in the late 90s.

Find me a collectible that was released six years ago that still gaining monitory value.

Really? The comic book market; ironically much like Wall Street (which I am also involved in) is fueled by speculation.

This is a VERY narrowminded view (in general). The article you are quoting is also being taken out of context. Coins and currency is one of the best antiques/collectibles that has experienced not only moderate growth, but stability. I can name many more, but do you really want to talk about Tiffany glass on a comic book forum?

In the words of the antique and collectible expert Harry Rinker; 'At the moment, auctioneers and investors equate comic books with autographs and coins, a major miscalculation."

This is how most other experts feel as well. Be very careful in this realm for the long term.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I am going to answer this question from another perspective. I understand that most people here think that comic books are a top tier collectible and extremely popular, but the truth of the matter is, they do not even rank in the top ten of all items collected.

Not disputing this but could you tell me what you think the top ten collected items are?

Let me correct this for you;

Not disputing this but could you tell me what you KNOW by factual analysis what the top ten collected items are?

Answer: I can provide evidence based on surveys, articles, and internet based search results.

In all honesty, that was not done to offend, but if you would read my previous posts this was already shown.

First, if you want to go here; let me ask a simple question. Readers of my various posts and articles already know the answer to this.

What gender considers themselves more of a 'collector?'

Let me know the answer to that question and we will start there. Most people get this worng. Here is major hint; it is NOT men!

Now I can show statistics from the 'gold' standards like the Journal of Antiques and Collectibles; or I could use articles and stats from WorthPoint; or even Antique Trader.

What do you prefer?

You have to understand that in the mind of most pop culture eccentric collectors, most do not consider antiques. Unfortunately, to answer this question (i.e. most collected items); antiques has to enter the list.

This is why I always state that most collectors who focus only on ONE particular collectible have a very NARROW view of the collecting market in general. never be afraid to expand your horizons.

By the way, generally speaking, comic books ranks in the top fifteen, NOT the top ten.

The most popular collectible by far is glass! Whether it be art glass (vintage or contemporary), vintage antique depression and related glassware, or antique bottles; glass has been the top collecting category (by BOTH men and women) for years!

Decorative items are in the list, as is coins and currency.

Historical empheria is also on the list in the top ten. That being said, depending on what list you use and how it is categorized; you will get a different result.

In conclusion, while I did want to take the time to answer your question; this has nothing to do with this thread (I only mention this to apologize to my fellow boardies for taking this off track). You asked a VERY FAIR question that deserved an answer. I just like to expand the knowledge of all kinds of collectors; so they understand that there is an entire collecting world that is much larger than comic books and pop culture related items.

Respectfully,

'mint'

I own several pieces of antique Tiffany's glass ware.

I even own a chandelier that is at least 100 years that was passed on to my wife's family.

But I still value my comics books as grails, because I collect original art.

Okay then don't collect comics...

This is such a NARROW MINDED view, in all honesty I don't know why I am responding. What is your point? Becuase I view comic books as speculative and can bring evidence to prove this analysis I should not collect them?

I would consider thinking about what you are stating before you type. This kind of thinking is very dangerous.

Can you please provide evidence to suggest why I should 'stop collecting comic books.' These are your words not mine.

'mint'

There is nothing Mint has said that makes me believe he should stop collecting comics. Surely you can love comics, hold it with high regard, but still critique it's place in the market and be negative about its future. I have never brought a book on speculation, I buy books I enjoy to read, that I like to display and feel the need to own.

My wife collects shoes, she doesn't have as many as I I have comics, doesn't spend as much as I do but I bet more shoes are brought (and money spent), for collection purposes in a year than comic books. Does that make me want to stop collecting comics, off course not (shrug)

The reason I made that statement is this:

To many collectors here on this site, their comics books are their grails. They treasure each issue with the hopes of gaining some value in the near future. Some even wish to pass on this legacy to their children, I know I intend to do the same with my son. By you coming here and pointing out statistics and articles as to why comic books are nothing than a "hobby", or an impulse (Not your words, mine), is an insult to those collectors who hold value to their hobby.

Second, when someone asks a direct question, "Not disputing this but could you tell me what you think the top ten collected items are? " Answer it directly. By going off on rant as to which genre collects more comics than the other, you're making you self look less educated, and more evasive by avoiding the question.

And back to my fist paragraph, the more you down the comic book industry or those who collect graded books, the more you look like an on-line bully, not a good one though.