• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question regarding commissions

12 posts in this topic

So here's a general question: When ya'll ask for a commission, how much direction to you usually give the artist? I'm pretty new to all this. I'm all about getting some original art at NYCC, but unsure how people usually go about making such requests. Ha, probably a dumb question :P thanks for bearing with me everybody!

I usually have a rough idea, but I don't provide much "art direction. "

For Mike Grell, once I knew his rates I have him the heroes and the villain.

For Mike Netzer, we tales about a number of scenes before I ask if he had one he'd wanted to do.

For Fred Hembeck, I knew the setting and characters. Fred figured out how to make it work.

So, it varies. Advice? Talk to the artist.

Its best to give the artist alot of room to be creative. Just give him the basics. Character(s) ( if they have different costumes mention the one you want); situation fighting, something romantic etc and setting. Try not to give too much art direction.

I usually give character and one or two must have elements (Asgardian storm needs the hammer, Starman with staff/glasses, Mist with gun and baby, Electric blue Superman please) and then ask if they need anything else. I often have to run off and buy a cheap comic book for reference.

Like the others, I tend to keep it vague. Usually I limit myself to which characters I want and something open ended, like "Flash & Mirror Master fighting."

Lately I've been working with an artist to help him get his backed up commissions done, and part of it has been gathering all the info from the original requests. So I can tell you that not everyone keeps it loose at all. I've seen some very detailed requests. Personally, I think that's a mistake, but to each his own.

Sometimes it's good to bring references (either photos or printouts) since some artists are not familiar with the specifics of a character's costume detailing. Also, if you like a certain pose, that helps too.

As others said, you'll get a general vibe in the reaction of an artist once you give art direction. Some welcome, encourage and embrace it. Others give you the stink eye with hesitation and reluctance.

The one thing is, as others have mentioned, to give a bit of artistic freedom for creativity, you usually end up with a better piece.

Also, I know there's a collector out there who navigates the convention circuit who not only requests very graphically sexual and perverse poses of his favorite X-Men character, but also gives such detailed art direction that I heard a number of artists have been both offended and a bit creeped out by this guy. So, of course in that spirit, accept an artists right to refuse commission work they're not comfortable with and also be respectful.

Sometimes it's good to bring references (either photos or printouts) since some artists are not familiar with the specifics of a character's costume detailing. Also, if you like a certain pose, that helps too.

Excellent point. (thumbs u

I'm pretty new to getting commissions too. I would say that keeping things light on the art direction is a great way to do it. I work with computers so I'm not the most creative. The artists are the ones that are so they know more about it than I do.

Bringing references is great if you are going to ask for something at a show especially if you are looking for a specific costume. I also try to find something that the artist would like to draw. Sara Richard does great with hair and flames so the last two covers I asked her to do for me was a Medusa (from the ASM 62 cover) and a Rachael Summers Phoenix. When I showed her the ASM cover she got excited to do the hair.

I usually give character and one or two must have elements (Asgardian storm needs the hammer, Starman with staff/glasses, Mist with gun and baby, Electric blue Superman please) and then ask if they need anything else. I often have to run off and buy a cheap comic book for reference.

Electric Blue Superman? You're the worst :grin: