• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,034 posts in this topic

On 7/31/2021 at 4:32 PM, dikran1 said:

Hmmm… McFarlane signing 😩… can’t possibly effect turnaround times, right? :insane:

Not so much a signing per se. This one you buy the book already signed with a CGC COA and send it in for grading.  

( so now apparently they are accepting COA for this book only for the SS program)

Pretty sure this will even further confuse people that do not understand the Signature Series Program.  

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

On 7/30/2021 at 7:33 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Congratulations on the #75 Platinum in 9.8!

What is the number on the back of that one? ( if you do not mind me asking)

Thanks!

Comic Description: Superman 75 1/93 D.C. Comics Poly-Bagged Platinum Edition
Category: Modern
Grade: 9.8 WHITE
Comments: Manufactured with ""6018"" printed on back cover.
I knew it was a great copy but you never know with grading so I am very happy. Opened the bag and kept the bag too. Both are in my PC memory books :)

On 8/1/2021 at 6:23 AM, John Worley said:

Thanks!

Comic Description: Superman 75 1/93 D.C. Comics Poly-Bagged Platinum Edition
Category: Modern
Grade: 9.8 WHITE
Comments: Manufactured with ""6018"" printed on back cover.
I knew it was a great copy but you never know with grading so I am very happy. Opened the bag and kept the bag too. Both are in my PC memory books :)

Thank you. Always interested to see what numbers graded out at 9.8.. Congratulations again.

Sunday's Musings

CGC turnaround times have finally gotten to me. I have tried to be sensible and understanding in my reaction to the increased delays in getting comics graded or “pressed.” When checking on my submission status, I couldn’t help but notice under the grading field that CGC is “Now opening comic book submissions delivered the week of May 24, 2021.” I know this in not accurate – I have a submission from late June that has in fact been submitted for grading. However, this is a real tell regarding the pathology of CGC Services – lax, unconcerned, systemic, and remarkable.

Walkthrough CGC Grading lists a current Turnaround time of 12 days. This is not walk or through by any definition or expectation. (And these are working days, excluding weekends, etc.) Please, CGC, come up with another category. If it is 5 days or less, then use “Walkthrough.” I said at the beginning I was trying to be understanding of whatever market forces you are dealing with – 5 is generous. Perhaps the category “In the Vicinity” could be applied for the current 12 days. And an appropriate reduction in price applied.

Walkthrough CSC Pressing is a bit more problematic and is quite dependent upon submitted condition being addressed. However, 31 days is obscene for this category as is the pricing pleasure for the experience. Perhaps using moon phases and phrases would be appropriate here – Blue Moon comes immediately to mind.

I am not going to go into “Express to Economy” schemes. Sussing that out would be cruel and unusual. 

On 8/1/2021 at 4:55 PM, L Ludwig said:

I couldn’t help but notice under the grading field that CGC is “Now opening comic book submissions delivered the week of May 24, 2021.” I know this in not accurate – I have a submission from late June that has in fact been submitted for grading.

What tier did you submit under? I have a submission arrived June 1st that hasn't been touched yet. 

Yeah its getting really rough man! They're having a tough time meeting their demand for sure! I'm thinking this is going to last well into next year barring any heavy COVID restrictions in the near term. It's a mixture of the all those deferred submissions from last year's shut down coming in since last December January that's clearly overwhelmed them. I had just 2 submissions last year and both of them took 2 and 3 weeks total from start to finish.

The other reason is these signings from everybody happening every week. The one that scares me the most is anything Mcfarlane related. Luckily this is a restricted signing so I'm just hoping it's not a death blow to TATs :wishluck:

Its terribly unfair to dealers that need TATs to be reasonable to make a living! If there's any good news, the postal service has been running very smoothly of late. It is now way better than the terrible shipping times from the start of the year. I don't know how or if Blackstone will be of help in this regard but hopefully the power of corporate America can help CGC meet its crushing demand. 

On 8/1/2021 at 3:28 PM, MGsimba77 said:

What tier did you submit under? I have a submission arrived June 1st that hasn't been touched yet. 

Yeah its getting really rough man! They're having a tough time meeting their demand for sure! I'm thinking this is going to last well into next year barring any heavy COVID restrictions in the near term. It's a mixture of the all those deferred submissions from last year's shut down coming in since last December January that's clearly overwhelmed them. I had just 2 submissions last year and both of them took 2 and 3 weeks total from start to finish.

The other reason is these signings from everybody happening every week. The one that scares me the most is anything Mcfarlane related. Luckily this is a restricted signing so I'm just hoping it's not a death blow to TATs :wishluck:

Its terribly unfair to dealers that need TATs to be reasonable to make a living! If there's any good news, the postal service has been running very smoothly of late. It is now way better than the terrible shipping times from the start of the year. I don't know how or if Blackstone will be of help in this regard but hopefully the power of corporate America can help CGC meet its crushing demand. 

Finally used Walkthrough due to a pressing business need. I knew not to expect same day or even same week, but was not expecting so much scheduling creep to the right. Good point on the signings and backlog (which I did not factor). Guess this really is a case of business being too good (and bad).

I had another sub ready to go but its coming up on 5 months for one of my books to come back.  When I sent it in the TAT was 55 days.  Once CGC gets their $h[t together I may be a customer again.

Edited by BrntWS6

On 7/28/2021 at 5:17 PM, Chazgee said:

Moderns are flying thru GEI, but my Values have been sitting in GEI for 2 weeks. Even longer for others.

I have a value  that’s been in GEI for 5 weeks now.

My moderns PS were moved moved to GEI and shipped in 1 week. 

Value tier is super delayed right now.

On 8/3/2021 at 1:01 PM, Justin Jordan said:

I have a value  that’s been in GEI for 5 weeks now.

My moderns PS were moved moved to GEI and shipped in 1 week. 

Value tier is super delayed right now.

Agreed. I've got 4 Values sitting in GEI for 3 weeks now.

Two books sent for express pressing and grading. Arrived 6/28. Have been “at CCS for pressing” for a little over a month now. It’s been a couple of years since I’ve subbed, I’m assuming they’ll charge me for the grading when they are done at CCS? Not in a huge hurry, which is a good thing, apparently. Have two more I was going to sub once these two are finished, but I’m thinking maybe I should go ahead and send them now if I want ‘em back this year…

My last 2 -

Modern - Non-Fast Track - 3 books

4/27 - Received

4/27 - Scheduled for grading

7/1 - Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging

7/8 - Grading/Quality Control

7/9 - Finalized / Shipped

When it was "received" it went into the system immediately on my end as SFG, the TAT was 55 business days.  That put this finishing around 7/15, so this was ahead of schedule.

Value - Non-Fast Track - 1 book

4/27 - Received

7/20 - Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging

8/2 - Grading/Quality Control

8/3 - Finalized / Shipped

When it was "received" it went into the system immediately on my end as SFG, the TAT was 75 business day and expected it have around 8/12.  So this is going to be close to that, but my calculation does not include shipping back so it is still ahead.

On 8/3/2021 at 5:53 PM, Crops068 said:

Value - Non-Fast Track - 1 book

4/27 - Received

7/20 - Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging

8/2 - Grading/Quality Control

8/3 - Finalized / Shipped

4 VALUE Non Fast Track
CGC Received: 4/7/21
SFG: 4/7/21
Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging: 7/14/21

w

t

f

On 8/3/2021 at 5:04 PM, Chazgee said:

4 VALUE Non Fast Track
CGC Received: 4/7/21
SFG: 4/7/21
Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging: 7/14/21

w

t

f

Yep. My 5 value slow track were received 1/27/21 SFG mid May and stuck at GEI since 7/8/21. I’m not sure what the hold up is at this point. 

On 8/3/2021 at 5:10 PM, CTH1 said:

Yep. My 5 value slow track were received 1/27/21 SFG mid May and stuck at GEI since 7/8/21. I’m not sure what the hold up is at this point. 

I called and was told that mine was graded on 7/20 and then sat waiting on encapsulation until yesterday.

When I asked about the TAT estimate they only quoted the current 150+ day TATs not the old Value TATs and that it “could take until Nov”

On 8/3/2021 at 6:25 PM, greggy said:

image.thumb.png.6c0539dfb27a7c599294b8da00a52382.png

The website says they are only opening submissions from the week of May 24.  How the heck did you get so many Slow Modern orders to be processed so quickly?  I'm guessing you're a dealer with some sort of "in" that allows for faster processing?  Would make sense based on the very high volume of your submissions.

On 8/3/2021 at 4:39 PM, Petroman said:

The website says they are only opening submissions from the week of May 24.  How the heck did you get so many Slow Modern orders to be processed so quickly?  I'm guessing you're a dealer with some sort of "in" that allows for faster processing?  Would make sense based on the very high volume of your submissions.

My books are hand delivered so they are entered the day or day after.