• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,089 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2021 at 9:23 PM, eddly said:

Mailed (100 modern slow) - July 19

Delivered - July 29

Moving fast so far!

Submission 1 - 25 Modern (slow)

Delivered: 7/29
CGC Rcvd: 9/14
SFG: 9/14
G/E/I: 
G/QC:
Shipped:

Submission 2 - 25 Modern (slow)

G/E/I: 
G/QC:
Shipped:

Submission 3 - 25 Modern (slow)

G/E/I: 
G/QC:
Shipped:

Submission 4 - 25 Modern (slow)

CGC Rcvd: :juggle:
SFG: 
G/E/I: 
G/QC:
Shipped:

I guess they will key in Submission 4 tomorrow. 

Edited by eddly

Value Fast Track - 6 (FT Econ. TAT - 91 days)

• Delivered to CGC (FedEx Exp.) - 06/17/21 
  • Received/SFG - 06/18/21 (D + 1)
  • G/E/I - 09/02/21 (D + 44)
  • GQC - 09/15/21 (D + 53)
  • Shipped - 
  • Delivered - 

Economy Fast Track - 3 (TAT - 98 days)

• Delivered to CGC (FedEx Exp.) - 07/01/21
  • Received/SFG -  07/06/21 (D + 2)
  • G/E/I - 09/10/21 (D + 47)
  • GQC - 09/14/21 (D + 49)
  • Shipped - 
  • Delivered - 
Edited by ChrispyC66
Updated FT Value

On 9/14/2021 at 7:32 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I wish they would stop using graders notes all together.  Put a number on the book in the system and next it.

More books can be graded if the grader can just assign the grade and stop putting in "stress lines on spine."

I haven't clicked on graders notes on any of my books in probably 5-8 years. 

I think many people submit books they hope to get back as 9.8's.  Some may be wishful thinkers, but many more are meticulously looking at the book first and only submitting it if they feel they will get 9.8's.  To me its pretty frustrating to get back an expected 9.8 as a 9.6 or 9.4 with no grader notes to denote what was wrong with it.  Yeah, I could do the whole pre-screen thing, but the extra time for that is just more salt in the wound of excessive TAT's.  I'd sure rather get grader notes back as sometimes they indicate that a simple pressing job might increase the grade, e.g. slight bend back cover. 

Honestly, right now I think the grading process is pretty arbitrary.  Sure, you might get a good batch back, but you might also get a bunch of grades back too.  Bottom line, it's expensive and time consuming, so if you can't get accurate results there is something majorly wrong with the process.  But by all means, please continue to submit away and help train up all these new graders.  I think I'll continue to sit on the sidelines for awhile to see if TAT's improve, along with grading quality.

On 9/14/2021 at 4:20 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Actually everything is going the way a manager could have predicted.  Yes, they are opening boxes faster now that the mostly garbage invoices, sorry I mean the very special unique to each collector personal books, with the old CGC prices are finished being opened, however now those special books need to be graded.  So usually CGC can get through each received date within 1-2 business days, but now the high volume in the short-term has passed from receiving to grading.  So now received date 6/4/21 might take 3-4 business days to all get graded before the 6/5/21's start getting grading.  Then its on to encapsulation which means soon that could take longer.  Basically things should get better after Halloween is my general thoughts. 

Now if anyone is going to use CCS, well I wish you best in getting your books back before the next Olympics! That is a logistics problem that was just enhanced by covid, not the cause.  

I agree with your thought process. I would also factor in the sizzling hot comic book market, which began around February and started tapering down around mid August this year. I would assume sellers were likely still sending in their books in droves well into August. I think your late October timeline for TAT's makes sense.

On 9/14/2021 at 6:24 PM, skybolt said:

I agree with your thought process. I would also factor in the sizzling hot comic book market, which began around February and started tapering down around mid August this year. I would assume sellers were likely still sending in their books in droves well into August. I think your late October timeline for TAT's makes sense.

Exactly, and once all those submitters get their books back way too late they might be left holding the bag on some of those books.  aka they didn't make as much as they wanted and maybe even lost money so their excitement to submit could also dwindle somewhat. 

On 9/14/2021 at 6:06 PM, Petroman said:

I think many people submit books they hope to get back as 9.8's.  Some may be wishful thinkers, but many more are meticulously looking at the book first and only submitting it if they feel they will get 9.8's.  To me its pretty frustrating to get back an expected 9.8 as a 9.6 or 9.4 with no grader notes to denote what was wrong with it.  Yeah, I could do the whole pre-screen thing, but the extra time for that is just more salt in the wound of excessive TAT's.  I'd sure rather get grader notes back as sometimes they indicate that a simple pressing job might increase the grade, e.g. slight bend back cover. 

Honestly, right now I think the grading process is pretty arbitrary.  Sure, you might get a good batch back, but you might also get a bunch of grades back too.  Bottom line, it's expensive and time consuming, so if you can't get accurate results there is something majorly wrong with the process.  But by all means, please continue to submit away and help train up all these new graders.  I think I'll continue to sit on the sidelines for awhile to see if TAT's improve, along with grading quality.

I submit every month to CGC.  I already know the grades when I buy the comics raw and submit them, CGC is just the last step in the selling of those assets/comics. 

When I hear a remark of sitting on the sidelines it reminds the same way of thinking in the stock market.  It's about your time in the market, not timing the market.  The more books I have at CGC the easier my life gets every month.  I understand for most submitting comics is for personal collections and/or extra side money for profit.  For me buying raw and selling CGC is a full time job.  If I needed graders notes I wouldn't be able to do this full time because I would fail too much.  For most comics, especially for Moderns, graders notes are just not that important or needed, IMO. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 9/15/2021 at 12:29 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

I submit every month to CGC.

The OP had indicated that there were discussions on Reddit where people were saying that the "grades have been horrible".  As someone who submits a lot of books I'm wondering if you are able to opine on the quality of the grading during this time of excessive TAT's and expansion of CGC staff.  Have the grades been consistent, worse, better?  I was thinking that the grades would probably get "better" (i.e. higher) as they ramped up new graders as I assumed new graders would maybe not pick up as many flaws and/or err on the side of caution.  This was not my experience, but I admit that my sample size was small.  I think someone who submits a much larger amount of books would have more to say on the matter so it would be great to hear about your recent experiences.

On 9/14/2021 at 6:50 PM, Petroman said:

This is a really important issue and I would love to hear from others if they think the average grades have gone down.  This certainly was the case on my last submission, and the grader notes were few and far between.  In fact, many of the books had no grader notes, even though they came back as 9.4 or below.  And for the books that did have grader notes, there was just a single note on each.  I checked this versus prior submissions and the notes were far more detailed in the past.  The main reason I grade books is for resale, so lower grades really hurt the wallet.  At this point I can't justify the long waits and lower grades, so am pausing submissions for awhile.

same complaints psa was getting before the shutdown wink wink

On 9/15/2021 at 6:30 AM, Petroman said:

The OP had indicated that there were discussions on Reddit where people were saying that the "grades have been horrible".  As someone who submits a lot of books I'm wondering if you are able to opine on the quality of the grading during this time of excessive TAT's and expansion of CGC staff.  Have the grades been consistent, worse, better?  I was thinking that the grades would probably get "better" (i.e. higher) as they ramped up new graders as I assumed new graders would maybe not pick up as many flaws and/or err on the side of caution.  This was not my experience, but I admit that my sample size was small.  I think someone who submits a much larger amount of books would have more to say on the matter so it would be great to hear about your recent experiences.

I haven't received any books back from CGC in a couple of months, but have been submitting consistently over the past 6 years. The whole thing is a roller coaster ride, where I'll get hammered for 5 or 6 straight submissions and then get surprisingly favorable grades for the next 3 or 4. This is purely only based on my experience, but I seem to get better grades between late September and mid February where the TAT's are shorter. Again, this is only based on a small sample size of approximately 25-30 submissions over the past 6 years. I'm sure other factors are in play, but it does seem like CGC switches from being super picky to a bit lenient from time to time.

On 9/14/2021 at 11:23 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Exactly, and once all those submitters get their books back way too late they might be left holding the bag on some of those books.  aka they didn't make as much as they wanted and maybe even lost money so their excitement to submit could also dwindle somewhat. 

One advice I have for part time sellers whom aren't dependent on comic book revenue to make ends meet, is to keep a good sized inventory of graded books to take advantage of the next hot market. The worst decision would be to sell for a loss heading into the winter season and then scramble to get more books graded next spring (with everyone else) if the market gets semi hot again. 

On 9/14/2021 at 7:56 PM, eddly said:

Submission 1 - 25 Modern (slow)

G/E/I: 
G/QC:
Shipped:

Submission 2 - 25 Modern (slow)

G/E/I: 
G/QC:
Shipped:

Submission 3 - 25 Modern (slow)

G/E/I: 
G/QC:
Shipped:

Submission 4 - 25 Modern (slow)

CGC Rcvd: :juggle:
SFG: 
G/E/I: 
G/QC:
Shipped:

I guess they will key in Submission 4 tomorrow. 

My batch of 17 Modern Slow just switched over from SFG (6/8) to G/E/I this morning. So, unless CGC can speed up their processes, you've got at least a good 3-month wait ahead of you.  :foryou:

On 9/15/2021 at 7:20 AM, skybolt said:

One advice I have for part time sellers whom aren't dependent on comic book revenue to make ends meet, is to keep a good sized inventory of graded books to take advantage of the next hot market. The worst decision would be to sell for a loss heading into the winter season and then scramble to get more books graded next spring (with everyone else) if the market gets semi hot again. 

I usually don't sell much from the start of Thanksgiving to New Years Eye.

January for me is a great time to start selling again.

On 9/14/2021 at 4:20 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Yes, they are opening boxes faster now that the mostly garbage invoices, sorry I mean the very special unique to each collector personal books,

That's not nice. Everything that @greggysubmits is truly special

With TATs as long as they are (10 months+ if you're pressing) how does CGC keep track of FMV now in an up/down market? I have books there now that were hot at the time but have cooled considerably and also books just starting to heat up... Seems like a whole bunch of hassle to keep track of when it was received and what the GPA was at that time...

On 9/15/2021 at 11:24 AM, dikran1 said:

With TATs as long as they are (10 months+ if you're pressing) how does CGC keep track of FMV now in an up/down market? I have books there now that were hot at the time but have cooled considerably and also books just starting to heat up... Seems like a whole bunch of hassle to keep track of when it was received and what the GPA was at that time...

From my experience, this is completely up to the submitter regarding how much you want the books insured for. CGC will not check the FMV on books unless there's a massive difference in price change. It has never happened to me. 

On 9/15/2021 at 8:58 AM, Legion HQ said:

My batch of 17 Modern Slow just switched over from SFG (6/8) to G/E/I this morning. So, unless CGC can speed up their processes, you've got at least a good 3-month wait ahead of you.  :foryou:

Ya, I figured I might get them back just before the end of the year. Looking at what I submitted… I just have to laugh… 9 copies of ASM 55,  18 copies of X-Force 11 @Lazyboy and 10 copies of Punisher 1 (unlimited) to name a few. 

Hopefully CGC still considers x-force 11 to be domino’s first appearance!