• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,129 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2021 at 11:22 AM, wombat said:

That is assuming that don't have that baked in already. When they estimate TATs they may already be assuming this. Now are they? I have no idea. 

where would all that submission labor go i wonder wink wink

On 9/14/2021 at 11:22 AM, Cool Ghoul said:

Point taken. They very well could be baking this in. But you gotta admit, for the most part TATs are getting longer, not shorter, and I don't see that trend subsiding anytime soon.

Not sure how this can be remedied. CGC is basically in a win-win situation. Either people try and bypass the system by going fast track, which means more money for CGC, or CGC just sits on this high inventory and take their time. With that being said, I do think CCS will suffer long term. Longer wait times plus a minimum 25% cost increase will likely drive customers to other pressing companies. I know I'm in that boat right now.

On 9/13/2021 at 8:20 AM, skybolt said:

It is worrisome that turnaround times keep going up (111 business days for MST). I was hoping that once CGC started opening packages past the 6/30 delivered deadline we'd start seeing some improvement. Looks like this is the new norm.

Actually everything is going the way a manager could have predicted.  Yes, they are opening boxes faster now that the mostly garbage invoices, sorry I mean the very special unique to each collector personal books, with the old CGC prices are finished being opened, however now those special books need to be graded.  So usually CGC can get through each received date within 1-2 business days, but now the high volume in the short-term has passed from receiving to grading.  So now received date 6/4/21 might take 3-4 business days to all get graded before the 6/5/21's start getting grading.  Then its on to encapsulation which means soon that could take longer.  Basically things should get better after Halloween is my general thoughts. 

Now if anyone is going to use CCS, well I wish you best in getting your books back before the next Olympics! That is a logistics problem that was just enhanced by covid, not the cause.  

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 9/14/2021 at 1:32 PM, ChrispyC66 said:

I hope this means my 6/18 FT Value will move from GEI to Grading/QC soon.:wishluck:

I guess I have to call CGC about this:

Received: 4/28/21
Items: 2
Declared Value: 400
Service: FAST TRACK VALUE

On 9/14/2021 at 2:24 PM, 123beeb said:

on top of the wait as per reddit the grades have been horrible also

This is a really important issue and I would love to hear from others if they think the average grades have gone down.  This certainly was the case on my last submission, and the grader notes were few and far between.  In fact, many of the books had no grader notes, even though they came back as 9.4 or below.  And for the books that did have grader notes, there was just a single note on each.  I checked this versus prior submissions and the notes were far more detailed in the past.  The main reason I grade books is for resale, so lower grades really hurt the wallet.  At this point I can't justify the long waits and lower grades, so am pausing submissions for awhile.

On 9/14/2021 at 8:25 AM, Gaard said:

"mark each side of your shipping box with EX (or WT) in large, bold letters."

Am I being paranoid, or is this something one needn't be concerned about? (there seems to be a lot of sticky fingers out there)

I'd agree that it does tell someone in the "know" that the books contained in the box are likely quite valuable.  If it were me I'd probably send it USPS registered mail with a significant amount of insurance.  I've heard that UPS has a similar option but I have not used it.  I don't think I'd send EX/WT with USPS Priority Mail as I feel that I'd be sweating it too much waiting for delivery confirmation.  Honestly, this is one reason I have yet to submit any of my really valuable books to CGC (well that and the fact that I'm not really looking to sell them :-).

On 9/14/2021 at 3:50 PM, Petroman said:

This is a really important issue and I would love to hear from others if they think the average grades have gone down.  This certainly was the case on my last submission, and the grader notes were few and far between.  In fact, many of the books had no grader notes, even though they came back as 9.4 or below.  And for the books that did have grader notes, there was just a single note on each.  I checked this versus prior submissions and the notes were far more detailed in the past.  The main reason I grade books is for resale, so lower grades really hurt the wallet.  At this point I can't justify the long waits and lower grades, so am pausing submissions for awhile.

I wish they would stop using graders notes all together.  Put a number on the book in the system and next it.

More books can be graded if the grader can just assign the grade and stop putting in "stress lines on spine."

I haven't clicked on graders notes on any of my books in probably 5-8 years.