• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,087 posts in this topic

I find it very frustrating that there are no grader notes on moderns that look otherwise flawless but somehow get a 9.0 or something... Is it a clerical error? Something inside the book? Something I missed?... I'm not a complainer but my last batch had a couple very dubious results... 

On 4/6/2022 at 12:57 PM, dikran1 said:

I find it very frustrating that there are no grader notes on moderns that look otherwise flawless but somehow get a 9.0 or something... Is it a clerical error? Something inside the book? Something I missed?... I'm not a complainer but my last batch had a couple very dubious results... 

I think its a fair complaint.  Some others have said they don't care much about grader notes, and for the most part I would agree.  Who really cares what the grader notes say if the book is a 5.5, 6.0, etc.?  But for those books that you send out hoping for a 9.8 or 9.6 worst case that somehow come back as 9.2 I'd like to know the reason why.  Maybe its something that could be pressed out, or maybe its just something the submitter missed.  I think that especially in that 8.5 to 9.4 book range (and more so for modern books) the grader notes are worth something.  

On 4/5/2022 at 7:28 PM, Jethro66 said:

I don't know. reading some of the BBB posts it seems it does make them move a bit. This is so disappointing but revealing. This was a first time submission, a test run to see if I could trust them for additional submissions...and by additional I mean a couple hundred over the next few years. I'm not ready for the grave yet but with no relatives interested to pass my collection along to, I planned on grading the best of my 6000+ collection so it was easier to dispose of when the time comes (hopefully in a couple decades down the road!!!). So much for Plan A...

Jethro66, your motivations sound similar to mine.  I am slabbing my most collectible books so that I can (hopefully) realize as much of their full value as possible when the time comes to sell.  I had a billing issue with CGC in which CGC was not responsive that I have, so far, elected not to pursue with BBB because I don't believe (in my case) the catch is worth the chase.  But I have reviewed the BBB page for CGC, and I agree with you that most of the posters there realized movement on their issues.  You've made a good faith effort with CGC to resolve your issues, CGC HAS NOT MADE a good faith effort to respond, and it is probably very appropriate for you to contact BBB to raise the profile of your issue.

Also, like you, I intend to hold my books for some time and don't need quick turnaround (or turnaround much earlier than stated TAT).  CGC offers Modern and Economy tiers for a stated fee which includes customer service.  They should support these tiers without the payment of add-on fees.

On 4/6/2022 at 1:10 PM, Petroman said:

I think its a fair complaint.  Some others have said they don't care much about grader notes, and for the most part I would agree.  Who really cares what the grader notes say if the book is a 5.5, 6.0, etc.?  But for those books that you send out hoping for a 9.8 or 9.6 worst case that somehow come back as 9.2 I'd like to know the reason why.  Maybe its something that could be pressed out, or maybe its just something the submitter missed.  I think that especially in that 8.5 to 9.4 book range (and more so for modern books) the grader notes are worth something.  

In a 9.8 (limit 9.6) obssessed climate for modern books, grader notes are definitely worth having. Now I'm stuck with books that are either unsellable as is or I have to play the crack & resub game which is not cool...

Updated to reflect one more submission that was just posted to my account

4/5/22  20   3,975 ECONOMY     Scheduled for Grading
4/6/22  25   1,630   MODERN      Scheduled for Grading
4/7/22  24   4,900  FAST TRACK ECONOMY Scheduled for Grading
Edited by loboagain

Received: 4/6/22
Items: 25
Declared Value: 2,500
Service: MODERN
Items: 4
Declared Value: 400
Items: 5
Declared Value: 500
Received: 4/5/22
Items: 24
Declared Value: 2,400
Received: 4/4/22
Declared Value: 8,500
Service: EXPRESS

Oh and these are still there too…

Received: 1/19/22
Declared Value: 2,600
Received: 1/19/22
Items: 18
Declared Value: 4,000
Service: ECONOMY
Received: 1/17/22
Declared Value: 3,700
Declared Value: 800

On 4/6/2022 at 9:20 AM, skybolt said:

I'm really sorry to hear that. :(

On a side note, one of my two 12/6 slow modern submissions just went to G/E/I. In the past, having only half the books come back as 9.8's would be a major disappointment. These days I would take that in a heartbeat.

The other 12/6 submission went to G/E/I. The first one is now in Grading Quality Control.

On 4/6/2022 at 3:40 PM, skybolt said:

The other 12/6 submission went to G/E/I. The first one is now in Grading Quality Control.

One of the two slow modern 12/6 submissions just shipped.

Best case scenario was 23 - 9.8's and 2 - 9.6's. Got back 14 - 9.8's, 5 - 9.6's, 5 - 9.4's and 1 - 9.2. No grader notes.

Honestly, after only getting 3 of 43 books graded as 9.8's with my last 2 submissions, I'll take these results.

On 4/6/2022 at 5:34 PM, dikran1 said:

Well, what a ride!

4/17/21 Value press and grade shipped today.

11 days short of a year since it was opened at CGC. :yeehaw:

Good luck to those still in limbo...

Congrats. Received at CCS on 4/17?   Or package delivered 4/17?