• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,075 posts in this topic

On 6/8/2022 at 8:59 PM, JJ Speederman said:

Another Fast Track Modern submission that was received June 1st shipped today. 12 issues — two 9.8s, seven 9.6s, two 9.2s, and one 9.0. These were all strong 9.8 candidates so more head scratchers here, especially the 9.0. One of the 9.6 slabs is a Fury of Firestorm #1 that was flawless raw. I'll have to wait until they're in hand to investigate further. Also, no grader notes.

In the past, if I sent in 2 submissions at the same time and one came back with 80% of the books graded at 9.8 and 70% for the other, I'd be a little surprised at the variance. These days it's completely normal to get 80% on one submission and 10% on the other. It's like the Wild West.

On 6/9/2022 at 8:45 AM, ak47po said:

CGC New grader training instructions.

Received: 6/1/22
Shipped: 6/9/22
Don't waste your money on F/T.
I know everybody thinks they have a 9.8's but really.

Gal_Brail-1394379802.thumb.jpg.ae6839b71b4a08ae38af2116b710a0f7.jpg

672608135_Screenshot(60).thumb.png.d4e3815048da4c91a7b00bdc933abc6d.png

I'm sorry to hear this. It's like CGC is allowing each grader to use their own standards to grade books. If someone doesn't like slight miswraps or production type errors, then they're perfectly within their rights to give you whatever grade they want. I see that these new graders have jumped over to fast track moderns now. With Economy lagging these days. it's a safe assumption that they'll be moved to this tier next.

On 6/8/2022 at 9:59 PM, JJ Speederman said:

Another Fast Track Modern submission that was received June 1st shipped today. 12 issues — two 9.8s, seven 9.6s, two 9.2s, and one 9.0. These were all strong 9.8 candidates so more head scratchers here, especially the 9.0. One of the 9.6 slabs is a Fury of Firestorm #1 that was flawless raw. I'll have to wait until they're in hand to investigate further. Also, no grader notes.

My submission date and shipping was the same as yours,i guess we both got the same grader.:frustrated:

On 6/9/2022 at 10:26 AM, ak47po said:

CGC needs to update their grading scale, or show this to the new graders.(shrug)

1520782051_Screenshot(61).thumb.png.a2d55ddf1aa8dc5edccb033aadc276b3.png

I think the problem is that these new graders are taking these grading standards too literally. For example, in the past, CGC has allowed miswraps, miscuts, slight upper corner spine tears for hard stock type covers, staples pushed into the spine, overhangs resulting in slightly rounded corners, books that don't have perfectly flat spines, indentation from die-cut covers, etc. for 9.8 graded copies. The above grading scale gives these new graders freedom to hammer any manufacturing defect if they feel it impacts the overall look of the book. I can see a new grader seeing a quarter inch miswrap as being a moderate manufacturing defect, hence keeping it from achieving anything higher than a 9.0 grade.

On 6/9/2022 at 11:44 AM, skybolt said:

I think the problem is that these new graders are taking these grading standards too literally. For example, in the past, CGC has allowed miswraps, miscuts, slight upper corner spine tears for hard stock type covers, staples pushed into the spine, overhangs resulting in slightly rounded corners, books that don't have perfectly flat spines, indentation from die-cut covers, etc. for 9.8 graded copies. The above grading scale gives these new graders freedom to hammer any manufacturing defect if they feel it impacts the overall look of the book. I can see a new grader seeing a quarter inch miswrap as being a moderate manufacturing defect, hence keeping it from achieving anything higher than a 9.0 grade.

All ten books in last my submission fit these criteria easily or i would not have submitted them especially moderns. I think CGC likes all the confusion???? It's like one barley visible defect, automatic 9.6,two small defects 9.4 etc,etc.

Screenshot (61).png

Edited by ak47po

On 6/9/2022 at 9:48 AM, skybolt said:

In the past, if I sent in 2 submissions at the same time and one came back with 80% of the books graded at 9.8 and 70% for the other, I'd be a little surprised at the variance. These days it's completely normal to get 80% on one submission and 10% on the other. It's like the Wild West.

TRUTH!  I Experience this all the time....my eyes were not that bad...and its a larger 100 book order submitted in one box, broken out by 25 books each.  No way that level of difference for one large submission.

On 6/9/2022 at 12:01 PM, ak47po said:

All ten books in last my submission fit these criteria easily or i would not have submitted them especially moderns. I think CGC likes all the confusion???? It's like one barley visible defect, automatic 9.6,two small defects 9.4 etc,etc.

Screenshot (61).png

At this point I think CGC needs to remove the 10.0 and 9.9 from this and just slide the 9.8and rest up to their descriptions so the list starts at 9.8.

On 6/8/2022 at 5:39 PM, skybolt said:

My second CCS submission was just shipped with disappointing results. 9 - 9.8's, 9 - 9.6's, 4 - 9.4's' 2 - 9.2's, 1 - 9.0 and 1 - 6.0. No grader notes, including on the 6.0 copy. I will reserve judgment until I have the books in hand.  Lately I've been having problems getting 9.8's on 80's Spectacular Spider-Man issues, since the copies I submitted all had miswraps.

My 3rd CCS pressed submission was just shipped. 15 - 9.8's, 6 - 9.6's, 3 - 9.4's and 1 - 9.0. No grader notes. 

I'll check these books when they come back, but am relatively happy with the grades.

On 6/9/2022 at 4:29 PM, ak47po said:

My submission date and shipping was the same as yours,i guess we both got the same grader.:frustrated:

My last MFT was received on 5/9 and has been SFG ever since.  If this means I get the experienced grader then I'm happy to wait as my prior MFT was shipped a week after being received and the grades sucked.

On 6/9/2022 at 11:18 AM, skybolt said:

My 3rd CCS pressed submission was just shipped. 15 - 9.8's, 6 - 9.6's, 3 - 9.4's and 1 - 9.0. No grader notes. 

I'll check these books when they come back, but am relatively happy with the grades.

This is interesting. These books just went from Shipped to G/E/I. Has this happened to anyone before?

Order #: CGC2xxxxxx
Received: 5/27/22
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 2007 Mirage Studios

Hoping for a 9.4+ 

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (Video Game Reprint) Variant

ALL GRADES
Population Share
UNIVERSAL
67.9% of pop
SIGNATURE
32.1% of pop
RESTORED
0% of pop
QUALIFIED
0% of pop
CONSERVED
0% of pop
top 10.5%
--
--
--
--
top 31.6%
top 33.3%
--
--
--
top 57.9%
top 44.4%
--
--
--
top 68.4%
top 66.7%
--
--
--
top 73.7%
top 100%
--
Edited by BDubs

A little off topic...I am thinking about trying pre screen..are they charging for the entire submission when received then they refund later those that didnt make the cut..or do they wait to charge you after the screening?

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 6/6/2022 at 1:00 PM, Flatliner1313 said:

Standard submission

13 books

received 04/01

currently G/E/I, which is where it has been for more than 2 months

current quoted TAT: 15 business days

my actual TAT so far: 45 business days 

I am also with a standard submission . My books where received 05/19 and tomorrow is the current TAT (15 days) but my status is still in "scheduled for grading" i am not happy because i paid $72 for each book (8 books) and i see people posting at FB who paid a lot less than me (economy with fast track or modern with fast track) already receiving their books with 7 day TAT´s 

Edited by Mijael.Levy