• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,075 posts in this topic

On 6/14/2022 at 11:26 AM, Ed Hanes said:

3 weeks now in GEI for Express....one month since received

My standard sub is at Day 52 against a TAT of 15 days. I have no idea what is happening with upper tier orders. 

On 6/14/2022 at 10:34 AM, Flatliner1313 said:

My standard sub is at Day 52 against a TAT of 15 days. I have no idea what is happening with upper tier orders. 

that's harsh...were you the one that talked to them already and they pretty much blew you off?

is it good to have economy books in GEI now or bad knowing you were only 2 days away when they stopped grading the tier MONTHS ago hm

asking for a friend meh

Edited by Economy Joe

No movement and already late with my standard submission . I am at the 18th day with a 15 day TAT

20220615_083540.thumb.jpg.98a5d508985c9d2be9cda55cf11b3293.jpg

I already contacted them two weeks ago because there was no movement and they told me that "everything is allright" "my submission is in line" etc. 

I wonder if i should contact them again or wait until next week

On 6/13/2022 at 3:41 PM, skybolt said:

Here are the results for the last of my four 6/25/2021 slow modern CCS submissions that went into grading last week (a fifth one is still at CCS).

13 - 9.8's, 5 - 9.6's and 1 - 9.4. All in all 55 of the 94 books graded came back as 9.8. Not bad considering how badly I've done in recent submissions.

I just received 4 of my submissions, which included the fifth one mentioned above. The grades for the last batch were lower than expected:

8 - 9.8's, 13 - 9.6's, 2 - 9.4's, 1 - 9.2 and 1 - 6.0. This time around I did receive grader notes (moderate bends to cover) for the 6.0 book, which didn't  make any sense. First of all, these books were pressed by CCS and secondly, the book looks like a 9.8 to me sitting in the case. In any case, since this was a low dollar issue I won't sweat it too much.

Overall, I thought CCS did a great job pressing the books. There were a few copies where the non color breaking spine ticks weren't removed via quick press, but this was my fault. Over the past year I've learned that quick press will not work for thicker, hard stock type covers. This was no surprise.

For two submissions where on average 2/3 of the books came back as 9.8's, the grading was strict, but very fair. On the other hand, for the other 2 submissions where only 1/3 of the books came back as 9.8's, I would say each submission had 4 books graded as 9.4 or 9.6, which look like 9.8's to me. Overall, I will be honest and say that I did receive a handful of 9.8's, which could've easily been graded as 9.6's.

So my overall conclusion is that I was satisfied with how the books were pressed, and after careful inspection of each book, I didn't have too many head scratchers. 

Another couple of things I've learned from this whole experience is to a.) go back to recording the raw and potential pressed grades of the books before submitting (to avoid surprises after 1 year), and b.) to keep my grading consistent and not assume that CGC will be grading tightly or loosely at any given time. 

On 6/15/2022 at 9:43 AM, skybolt said:

and 1 - 6.0.

Just curious...

What do you guys do with something like that? Crack it and throw it in a drek box, sell it at auction, something else?

On 6/15/2022 at 9:07 AM, Gaard said:

Just curious...

What do you guys do with something like that? Crack it and throw it in a drek box, sell it at auction, something else?

Since this was a run of the mill low cost book, I would just list it on Ebay as a 6.0 and take the hit. Someone will get a nice looking 6.0 copy.

One thing I do hope CGC fixes moving forward is consistent grading for production type defects. For example, I just received a 9.8 grade for an X-Men #30 (1994) where the staples are well pushed into the spine. However, in a previous submission, a Superman: The Man of Steel #19 was downgraded to a 9.0 for a similar issue.

On 6/15/2022 at 10:07 AM, Gaard said:

Just curious...

It is a sunk cost. Even selling a slab like this for $10 or $20 is better than cracking it and throwing it back into a bin, providing someone is willing to take it. 

Edited by Stefan_W

On 6/15/2022 at 9:07 AM, Gaard said:

Just curious...

On 6/15/2022 at 9:25 AM, skybolt said:

Since this was a run of the mill low cost book, I would just list it on Ebay as a 6.0 and take the hit. Someone will get a nice looking 6.0 copy.

I have been doing the same thing. If books come back at a lower grade, I just end up listing it on ebay. Then I hope that I can come across a better copy to submit to CGC or just buy the book already graded at the grade that I want.

I had this issue happen to me with Wolverine #66 v3 which is the first Old Man Logan. I kept buying $25 raw copies that were in high grade and even with a small issue, I kept getting grades in the 9.0-9.4 range. I gave up after buying and submitting so many, that I bought a 9.8 at a reasonable price. Then I ended up with another raw copy that was so good that I submitted it and that darn thing came back with a 9.6, which I would have been okay with.

My thumb of rule on graded books. If books are from the 90's to current year, I would want 9.6 and 9.8 grades. I think a 9.6 is decent and not a bad grade. Anything that is 80's and older, I am fine with 9.6 and lower since the older the books get the harder it is to get ones in really good shape. My biggest issue is how inconsistent the grading is at CGC that is causing us to get some of these lower grades. They just received another submission of mine this morning, so I will be interested to see how this batch fairs.

On 6/15/2022 at 10:28 AM, captainzombie said:

I have been doing the same thing. If books come back at a lower grade, I just end up listing it on ebay. Then I hope that I can come across a better copy to submit to CGC or just buy the book already graded at the grade that I want.

I had this issue happen to me with Wolverine #66 v3 which is the first Old Man Logan. I kept buying $25 raw copies that were in high grade and even with a small issue, I kept getting grades in the 9.0-9.4 range. I gave up after buying and submitting so many, that I bought a 9.8 at a reasonable price. Then I ended up with another raw copy that was so good that I submitted it and that darn thing came back with a 9.6, which I would have been okay with.

My thumb of rule on graded books. If books are from the 90's to current year, I would want 9.6 and 9.8 grades. I think a 9.6 is decent and not a bad grade. Anything that is 80's and older, I am fine with 9.6 and lower since the older the books get the harder it is to get ones in really good shape. My biggest issue is how inconsistent the grading is at CGC that is causing us to get some of these lower grades. They just received another submission of mine this morning, so I will be interested to see how this batch fairs.

I agree with all your points.

The interesting thing is that since I'm mostly buying and selling these days, my focus has been on getting 9.8 grades for most post 1980 submissions. However, when I was collecting 10-15 years ago, I would mostly go after 9.6 copies. In my head I couldn't rationalize paying 3 times as much to obtain a better copy, which required special lighting or a magnifying glass to see the defect. 

On 6/15/2022 at 9:40 AM, Mijael.Levy said:

No movement and already late with my standard submission . I am at the 18th day with a 15 day TAT

20220615_083540.thumb.jpg.98a5d508985c9d2be9cda55cf11b3293.jpg

I already contacted them two weeks ago because there was no movement and they told me that "everything is allright" "my submission is in line" etc. 

I wonder if i should contact them again or wait until next week

It's probably not worth wasting your time trying to contact them as they will likely just give you canned responses.  Them telling you that your "submissions is in line" is probably correct, albeit somewhat misleading.  From scouring this forum it seems that there is no "one line" per tier where things get graded on a first in, first out basis.  Honestly, I don't think anyone but people at CGC know how books progress through the grading cycle.  I've got a MFT submission that was delivered on 5/9 that has been SFG ever since.  But I've seen others post that their MFT books received as recent as 5/27 have already been shipped back.  Trying to rationalize it, or worrying too much about it will only aggravate you further.  Just keep checking periodically and one magical day it will move to G/E/I and beyond.

On 6/15/2022 at 10:59 AM, skybolt said:

I agree with all your points.

The interesting thing is that since I'm mostly buying and selling these days, my focus has been on getting 9.8 grades for most post 1980 submissions. However, when I was collecting 10-15 years ago, I would mostly go after 9.6 copies. In my head I couldn't rationalize paying 3 times as much to obtain a better copy, which required special lighting or a magnifying glass to see the defect. 

I can understand where you are coming from since you are primarily selling books. I am collecting and also selling to help fund the good old hobby. I agree with you that a 9.6 vs 9.8 at times is very minimal which is crazy as to why we don't see more 9.9 and 10.0's as there are books out there that could fall in that range, yet they get a 9.8. You then have 9.8 books getting a 9.6 and so forth.

On 6/15/2022 at 12:24 PM, captainzombie said:

I can understand where you are coming from since you are primarily selling books. I am collecting and also selling to help fund the good old hobby. I agree with you that a 9.6 vs 9.8 at times is very minimal which is crazy as to why we don't see more 9.9 and 10.0's as there are books out there that could fall in that range, yet they get a 9.8. You then have 9.8 books getting a 9.6 and so forth.

I've submitted a couple of thousand books over the past 20 years and still no 9.9's. :)

On 6/15/2022 at 12:36 PM, skybolt said:

I've submitted a couple of thousand books over the past 20 years and still no 9.9's. :)

Oh WOW! That is quite the amount of books and to not even get 1 9.9 is a disservice. I'd love to see a 9.9 or 10 up close to see what warranted it the "PERFECT" book.