• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,075 posts in this topic

On 7/11/2022 at 9:42 AM, skybolt said:

Ran into another buzz-saw. This submission went to G/E/I at the same time as the one above, so I'm assuming it was the same grader.

2 - 9.8's, 16 - 9.6's, 4 - 9.4', 1 - 9.2 & 1 - 9.0. :(

Ouch!  Those are brutal, and costly, grades if you were hoping for the majority to be 9.8's.  I'm planning on using the pre-screen option for all of my expected 9.8 MODERN submissions going forward.  Getting them back below 9.6 is frankly just a waste of money, and even at 9.6 I'd just prefer to leave the books ungraded and maybe submit down the road if they appreciate.  I figure worst case you end up with $200 in screen-out fees if the entire 25 book submission kicks out, but I'd rather lose the $200 than blow $500+ on books that I'll have a hard time selling.

I have a total of five 5/12 submissions. Three of them have been already been graded, with 2 bad results and 1 in-line with what I was thinking. Luckily, the more expensive submission was graded by an experienced grader. My hope is that the law of averages is on my side and that the remaining 2 submissions, which mostly contain books from the 70's and 80's, are being handled by an experienced grader. 

By the way, does anyone know what this grader note means? 

"small paper lift top of front cover"

On 7/11/2022 at 1:34 PM, skybolt said:

I have a total of five 5/12 submissions. Three of them have been already been graded, with 2 bad results and 1 in-line with what I was thinking. Luckily, the more expensive submission was graded by an experienced grader. My hope is that the law of averages is on my side and that the remaining 2 submissions, which mostly contain books from the 70's and 80's, are being handled by an experienced grader. 

By the way, does anyone know what this grader note means? 

"small paper lift top of front cover"

Probably same as color lift 😜 but idk.

Also, I'm noticing some are resending in grades, that don't seem right, back in to be done again, and to see if they'll get an experienced grader?

What is not being said is, how are those books turning out the second and or more go arounds?

Could it be these that aren't this time are the same that weren't last time?

Very confusing when all that's said in this thread is kind of third hand accounts, so I was curious as it isn't ever mentioned other than that's what "they" mean to do is regrade....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/11/2022 at 1:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Also, I'm noticing some are resending in grades, that don't seem right, back in to be done again, and to see if they'll get an experienced grader?

What is not being said is, how are those books turning out the second and or more go arounds?

Very confusing when all that's said in this thread is kind of third hand accounts, so I was curious as it isn't ever mentioned other than that's what "they" mean to do is regrade....

Ya edited the auto correct, I'm about to be off to see Thor but 😂 was curious 

On 7/11/2022 at 1:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not sure how others are doing it, but here's my approach for resending in books to be regraded:

A.) Will probably hold off on resending any books until I see more consistency in grading from CGC. This will likely not happen until next year.

B.) It's not worth cracking out and resending a book if the value difference between a 9.8 and 9.6 copy is $50 or less. In that scenario I'd just consider it a sunk cost and move on.

C.) If I get a 9.2 grade for a borderline 9.8, I probably won't resend it unless a 9.6 is selling for good money. 

D.) Every submission that I think is under-graded, I'm placing a couple of books on the side for a straight resub later on. Most of these books are ones I'm fairly confident are 9.8's, but were downgraded for a production type defect. . 

On 7/11/2022 at 2:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I only re-send books where the price difference between grades is significant. The difference between a 9.6 and a 9.4 is usually not worth it for most moderns, so the books has to be a solid 9.8 candidate in my mind to do it. When I do crack and re-sends I normally do at least 6 of them at a time. Not everything is going to hit, but if I get the 9.8 I want on say 2 of the resubs it more than makes it worth while. 

On a side note, CGC is more consistent that you may be led to believe on these boards. If there is no defect that is fixable the odds are the book will come back in the same grade. For this reason I focus on books with pressable defects that I can fix up before the resend. For example, I cracked 4 copies of Usagi Yojimbo 1 that were graded 9.4, 9.4, 9.6, and 9.6. After a few presses and a lot of work three of those books (so far) hit 9.8, and the 4th was 9.6 without any flaw I could see so I sent it in yet again just to be sure. Usagi has tanked since I did all this, but the point is about being able to correct flaws and playing a probability game with cracking and re-submitting. 

Edited by Stefan_W

2 Adam Kubert Signature Series w/Pressing

5/20: Delivered to CGC

5/24: Received at CCS

1 Jim Lee Signature Series w/Pressing

5/20: Delivered to CGC

5/24: Received at CCS

10 Modern

7/11 Delivered to CGC

On 7/8/2022 at 10:43 PM, universal soldier said:

meh, I'm 246 business days for slow econ and still SFG so these numbers are still not accurate...

Also, according to what every CGC employee has said, the clock starts when the package is delivered to CGC, not when it's marked as received.

On 7/11/2022 at 8:42 AM, skybolt said:

Ran into another buzz-saw. This submission went to G/E/I at the same time as the one above, so I'm assuming it was the same grader.

2 - 9.8's, 16 - 9.6's, 4 - 9.4', 1 - 9.2 & 1 - 9.0. :(

Ouch. What in the world happened there with those grades. You must of had that wonderful grader we have had the pleasure of grading our books in the past. Were these books pressed by CCS or your presser that you have been using?

On 7/11/2022 at 8:00 PM, captainzombie said:

Ouch. What in the world happened there with those grades. You must of had that wonderful grader we have had the pleasure of grading our books in the past. Were these books pressed by CCS or your presser that you have been using?

By a 3rd party presser.

On 7/11/2022 at 9:02 PM, skybolt said:

By a 3rd party presser.

This really sucks. At least 9.6's are much easier to sell than the lower grades, but you get such a huge discrepancy in resell value between a 9.8 to 9.6 that sometimes you just make a few dollars depending on the book.

Standard tier. Received 6/14, still SFG. When I picked the tier it was about two weeks out. Every time I check the TAT it moves out to where it's always 2 weeks before I could even start to complain. At this rate, I feel like it could look like this  close to a year from now(and I would still be two weeks out before I could contact someone):

standardfutureTAT.thumb.png.fde2fd4206d90e2fa83d4cf90a62dd4a.png

:roflmao:

On 7/11/2022 at 9:59 PM, captainzombie said:

This really sucks. At least 9.6's are much easier to sell than the lower grades, but you get such a huge discrepancy in resell value between a 9.8 to 9.6 that sometimes you just make a few dollars depending on the book.

I'm getting 4 submissions back this week. I'll do a full analysis once the books are in hand with respect to how my original grading was, the press job performed and CGC grading. The 4th submission was graded today and came back with 7 - 9.8's, 6 - 9.6's, 6 - 9.4's, 2 - 9.2's, 1 -9.0 & 1 - 8.5. These were mostly 80's books, so the grades are probably not totally off. At least 2 of the 3 Uncanny X-Men #195 Newsstand Editions got a 9.8 grade. 

Edited by skybolt

So the current TAT's for slow modern CCS pressing is 254 business days. My submission delivered on 3/23/2021 (received 4/11/2021) is currently sitting at 324 business days. In comparison, the other 3 submissions from that time period were pressed and graded almost 5 months ago. Another 5 CCS submissions (received 6/25/2021) were pressed and graded last month. After contacting CGC 5 times over the past 3 months, and basically being told to be patient, what is the next course of action? Anyone else in the same boat with respect to CCS pressing?