• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,049 posts in this topic

I did modern FT 7 books. I hoping for the best.

verifed on 2/14/13

nada yet but Im ok if a few days late. Like I'm hoping by friday they are shipped. I can deal with that

You're not even at 10 business days yet.

verifed on 2/14/13

nada yet but Im ok if a few days late. Like I'm hoping by friday they are shipped. I can deal with that

And since encapsulation takes 2-4 weeks by itself you're likely in for a bit longer wait.

verifed on 2/14/13

And since encapsulation takes 2-4 weeks by itself you're likely in for a bit longer wait.

They push modern FT through encapsulation faster.

My last sub was a few weeks ago and went from Graded to Shipped in 3 days.

verifed on 2/14/13

Yes I am aware of that. But I did do a few last year that were really fast turn arounds in ten business days. So Im just saying thats all. And for a modern FT I dont think I have ever waited any longer then 15 business days tops total at my house.

OK-- so if the rate of comics is too much, or the team is too small, stop accepting comics or lower the price since the service isn't up to par. at the very least, stop with the bogus timelines. It's embarrassing and they're clearly over their head.

If anything their prices are too low. At the current rates, there's clearly more demand than they have the capacity to satisfy.

From an economics perspective, they should raise prices and let the number of submissions decline on their own. At least then turnaround times would get back to a reasonable level. From a long term business perspective, it's likely to do significant damage to future prospects, but at the end of the day they've proven either unable or unwilling to significantly increase their capacity anyway. So why not milk it for all it's worth?

OK-- so if the rate of comics is too much, or the team is too small, stop accepting comics or lower the price since the service isn't up to par. at the very least, stop with the bogus timelines. It's embarrassing and they're clearly over their head.

If anything their prices are too low. At the current rates, there's clearly more demand than they have the capacity to satisfy.

From an economics perspective, they should raise prices and let the number of submissions decline on their own. At least then turnaround times would get back to a reasonable level. From a long term business perspective, it's likely to do significant damage to future prospects, but at the end of the day they've proven either unable or unwilling to significantly increase their capacity anyway. So why not milk it for all it's worth?

While reasonable, as you point out that strategy is not in their long term interests. Capital investment would be, as in more graders and another encapsulation machine or two.

If TATs dropped I think it could be argued that they would make enough additional scratch to cover the costs, especially long term with the new equipment. Plenty of folks around here say they have either quit subbing books because of the long TATs, will quit, or would sub more if TATs were near historic advertised rates. I fall into this last group. TATs don't impact my SS collecting, as I will get signatures regardless of the wait (though raising the prices would impact how I collect them), but I have plenty of books I would sub under the Economy tier for blue labels that I am holding off on because of the crazy 6-7 month TAT. CGC would get more of my business if they went back to a 3 month TAT on Economy, and I imagine others would follow suit if they could get their act together.

While reasonable, as you point out that strategy is not in their long term interests. Capital investment would be, as in more graders and another encapsulation machine or two.

If TATs dropped I think it could be argued that they would make enough additional scratch to cover the costs, especially long term with the new equipment. Plenty of folks around here say they have either quit subbing books because of the long TATs, will quit, or would sub more if TATs were near historic advertised rates. I fall into this last group. TATs don't impact my SS collecting, as I will get signatures regardless of the wait (though raising the prices would impact how I collect them), but I have plenty of books I would sub under the Economy tier for blue labels that I am holding off on because of the crazy 6-7 month TAT. CGC would get more of my business if they went back to a 3 month TAT on Economy, and I imagine others would follow suit if they could get their act together.

Totally agree with where you're coming from. The problem is that TAT have been this way for literally years at this point, so it's not as if this is a new problem for them.

So why haven't they increased capacity? The only two options are that they are:

1. Unable to (due to the lack of qualified graders perhaps), in which case they should raise prices to decrease TAT and improve satisfaction among the remaining customer base, since capacity won't be going up and they actually need a reduction in demand.

2. Unwilling to (maybe the NPV of new slabbing machines doesn't match up favorably with other investment opportunities in sister companies), in which case they should still raise prices to increase the value (i.e. the future revenue streams) to the company of those capital investments.

Now obviously I don't have access to any financial results or projections, so I could be totally off base. But from an outsider's view, it seems pretty clear cut to me.

Economics 101 (thumbs u

Edited by paperheart

How can CGC say they are catching up when encapsulation takes so long. Obviously they know where the problem lays, now how do they fix it. This almost seems like a BBB issue as you are paying more for a product, but not getting it back on time, even with the surcharge. What if every company took this business model, were would we be today?

Well I was pleasantly surprised today.

Had an Modern Fast Track order with an invoice date of 02/11/13 and it shipped today.

Wasn't to happy with 2 of the 14 grades, but other than that, no complaints

Edited by HarryRod

How can CGC say they are catching up when encapsulation takes so long. Obviously they know where the problem lays, now how do they fix it. This almost seems like a BBB issue as you are paying more for a product, but not getting it back on time, even with the surcharge. What if every company took this business model, were would we be today?

How would this be a BBB issue when there are no guarantees anywhere (other than walk-through), about how long books will take? (shrug)

Without competition, they have no urgency when it comes to catching up :ohnoez:

I'm perfectly fine if they raise prices. Just don't say you'll get it in this time when that's not the case.

+1

+1

They already raised rates. Their horrific turnaround times (intentional or unintentional) have forced a large number of Fast Track submissions.

Without even saying a word people have hungrily started paying 30-60% more per book with a smile on their faces.

Bend over, take it and like it.

I'm perfectly fine if they raise prices. Just don't say you'll get it in this time when that's not the case.

+1

+1

They already raised rates. Their horrific turnaround times (intentional or unintentional) have forced a large number of Fast Track submissions.

Without even saying a word people have hungrily started paying 30-60% more per book with a smile on their faces.

Don't forget that CGC actually raised rates and started charging for graders' notes. It wasn't just the de facto increase to get your books back in less than 6 months. The actual rate increase on 1/1/12 had ZERO impact to TATs.

+1

+1

Don't forget that CGC actually raised rates and started charging for graders' notes. It wasn't just the de facto increase to get your books back in less than 6 months. The actual rate increase on 1/1/12 had ZERO impact to TATs.

But the increases DID have an impact on TATs..... They INCREASED! :tonofbricks: