• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

27,135 posts in this topic

Ugh, looks like I ran into another newbie grader. After pressing by a 3rd party, only 1 of 20 books came back as a 9.8. I'll need to check the press job when I get the books back, but most of the books were 9.8 candidates even without pressing. :(

On 6/23/2022 at 1:59 PM, Aarrow108 said:

And despite this disparity, people are still quick to praise CGC for the good work.... lol

The only tier that has been really suffering is the economy pre-1975 tier. A simple use of fast track cuts even that one down dramatically. 

On 6/23/2022 at 2:22 PM, skybolt said:

Ugh, looks like I ran into another newbie grader. After pressing by a 3rd party, only 1 of 20 books came back as a 9.8. I'll need to check the press job when I get the books back, but most of the books were 9.8 candidates even without pressing. :(

What grades did the rest of the books come back as? Did you quickly go from G/E/I to pretty much Shipping like in the past?

On 6/23/2022 at 4:11 PM, KCOComics said:

I just got mine back today.  A few months after the initial TAT, but before the most recent projected TAT....so I'm happy, I guess? 🤔

13 books back.  Mostly in line with what I projected. A few a little lower and a few a little higher. 

Economy ST?  That's the only tier that a deviation of months from published TATs would seem "reasonable"...

On 6/23/2022 at 3:01 PM, captainzombie said:

What grades did the rest of the books come back as? Did you quickly go from G/E/I to pretty much Shipping like in the past?

It was 1 - 9.8, 10 - 9.6's, 3 - 9.4's, 2 - 9.2's, 2 - 9.0's, 1 - 8.0 and 1 - 7.5. I didn't expect the 8.0 and 7.5 to come back as 9.8's, but expected higher grades. I will say that I will never submit multiple copies of 1 book in one submission, especially if they're from the 80's. I had 9 newsstand copies of Web of Spider-Man #4 and 6 of #5 and none of them came back as 9.8. At least if you spread them out, the hope is that 2/3 of them would get graded by an experienced grader. Like I mentioned above, I still need them in hand to check the pressing job. Most of these books were not circulated and only had minor corner bends, which could easily be pressed out. 

It's interesting that the 1 book I really wanted back as a 9.8 (Web of Spider-Man #1 Newsstand Edition) did come back a 9.8.

Also, I'm not sure if it's the luck of the draw, but that last 10 or so submissions that were pressed by CCS, were ultimately graded by someone whom I agreed with the grades they were assigning. On the other hand, the 4 that were pressed by a 3rd party, I've felt the grading was extremely harsh and likely went to a newbie grader.

My order just switched to shipped and boy at least 4 books got grades that make no sense at all. Out of 28 books, 16 x 9.8's, 4 x 9.6's, 4 x 9.2's and 1 x 9.2. I am still waiting on the grades for 2 more books out of this submission since they broke it out. Some of the 9.4's and the 9.2 I can see some of these getting the grades they did, except for 3 of the 9.4's which should of been higher grade.

The weirdest one of them all is my Moon Knight #3 1:25 which is the first Hunter's Moon which the book was pristine and ends up with a 9.4. I am so darn baffled.

Edited by captainzombie

On 6/23/2022 at 4:19 PM, Still Only 20¢ said:

Economy ST?  That's the only tier that a deviation of months from published TATs would seem "reasonable"...

Yes, Economy Slow track pre 1975. Submitted to Joey February 2021. Made it to CGC October 2021 and I got them back today. 

On 6/23/2022 at 9:36 AM, Flatliner1313 said:

So the take away is everything Modern is performing ahead of schedule. And anything that isn’t modern is languishing like the condensation on the back of a toilet tank. 

image.thumb.png.6cf055bd7212d9b98a797d74e421da88.png

On 6/23/2022 at 5:46 PM, Kevin76 said:

Just got back from my LCS, owner said he was talking to someone who works at CGC and they said if you've got books to submit, to get them in before the 4th cause prices are increasing again.  Don't know how true it is but that's what I was told :whatev:

This makes sense, it corresponds with the new shipping services taking effect Effective July 5, 2022, so CGC say's they will save you money on the new shipping services then takes that money back with submission price hikes. See how this works.:pullhair:

The submission price hikes will probably bi-annually in the near future with the amount of submissions they get weekly. 

Edited by ak47po

On 6/23/2022 at 3:46 PM, Kevin76 said:

Just got back from my LCS, owner said he was talking to someone who works at CGC and they said if you've got books to submit, to get them in before the 4th cause prices are increasing again.  Don't know how true it is but that's what I was told :whatev:

There should be some advance notice if that is the case.

And looking at the new shipping rates, for us International submitters the cost is actually higher - right now I am paying $195 for Priority with signature, and now it will be $225. Time to look at a Fedex account I guess.

On 6/23/2022 at 3:19 PM, skybolt said:

It was 1 - 9.8, 10 - 9.6's, 3 - 9.4's, 2 - 9.2's, 2 - 9.0's, 1 - 8.0 and 1 - 7.5. I didn't expect the 8.0 and 7.5 to come back as 9.8's, but expected higher grades. I will say that I will never submit multiple copies of 1 book in one submission, especially if they're from the 80's. I had 9 newsstand copies of Web of Spider-Man #4 and 6 of #5 and none of them came back as 9.8. At least if you spread them out, the hope is that 2/3 of them would get graded by an experienced grader. Like I mentioned above, I still need them in hand to check the pressing job. Most of these books were not circulated and only had minor corner bends, which could easily be pressed out. 

It's interesting that the 1 book I really wanted back as a 9.8 (Web of Spider-Man #1 Newsstand Edition) did come back a 9.8.

Also, I'm not sure if it's the luck of the draw, but that last 10 or so submissions that were pressed by CCS, were ultimately graded by someone whom I agreed with the grades they were assigning. On the other hand, the 4 that were pressed by a 3rd party, I've felt the grading was extremely harsh and likely went to a newbie grader.

So your grades are all over the place and quite the range there. After this last submission, I have learned my lesson sending in multiple copies on one book. I literally combed over 6 copies of this ASM book that I sent in and only 3 of them made the cut from my review, yet one of the books still got a lower grade.

How long were these books at CGC? I wonder if reversion could have sat in if these were there for a few months.

If you look at my submission and the grades that I posted earlier today. It is so weird, some books that got a 9.4, should of been 9.6 and even 1 of them 9.8. I will crack that book when it comes because something is off for it to get graded this badly.

Then I got some 9.8's that I thought were going to be 9.6. Just very odd all around.

I know that Web of Spider-man #1 is a tough book to get a 9.8 for sure.

On 6/23/2022 at 4:46 PM, Kevin76 said:

On 6/23/2022 at 6:46 PM, ak47po said:

This makes sense, it corresponds with the new shipping services taking effect Effective July 5, 2022, so CGC say's they will save you money on the new shipping services then takes that money back with submission price hikes. See how this works.:pullhair:

The submission price hikes will probably bi-annually in the near future with the amount of submissions they get weekly. 

I am confused, what are they really saving money on the new shipping services since we have to pay to have our books shipped to them and to have them shipped back? I have to read this and see if I am missing something here.

On 6/23/2022 at 8:35 PM, captainzombie said:

So your grades are all over the place and quite the range there. After this last submission, I have learned my lesson sending in multiple copies on one book. I literally combed over 6 copies of this ASM book that I sent in and only 3 of them made the cut from my review, yet one of the books still got a lower grade.

How long were these books at CGC? I wonder if reversion could have sat in if these were there for a few months.

If you look at my submission and the grades that I posted earlier today. It is so weird, some books that got a 9.4, should of been 9.6 and even 1 of them 9.8. I will crack that book when it comes because something is off for it to get graded this badly.

Then I got some 9.8's that I thought were going to be 9.6. Just very odd all around.

I am confused, what are they really saving money on the new shipping services since we have to pay to have our books shipped to them and to have them shipped back? I have to read this and see if I am missing something here.

Kenvin76 said his local LCS knows someone who works for CGC and that person is telling at the shop that submission prices are increasing again after the 4th of July and to get your books in before that date to save some cash. I think Kevin76 might be right about the increase because CGC is also changing their shipping services after the 5th of July.

On 6/23/2022 at 8:54 PM, ak47po said:

Kenvin76 said his local LCS knows someone who works for CGC and that person is telling at the shop that submission prices are increasing again after the 4th of July and to get your books in before that date to save some cash. I think Kevin76 might be right about the increase because CGC is also changing their shipping services after the 5th of July.

I just read the announcement, but I find it odd that they would increase their prices for this. At the end of the day, they are not paying out of their pockets to ship our books back, that comes out of our pockets. For them to negotiate better rates with FedEx, I still don't see how raising prices would need to come into play here with this. All they are doing at the end of the day is what eBay did back in the day by "negotiating" better rates with the carriers but also snipping a piece of the shipping costs from sellers. Just like I would not doubt that they make something from the shipping if someone pays through their site.

At this point if they raise prices, how much is it going to cost us to slab one book now, like over $30 a book. LOL! They will start to chase people away.

On 6/23/2022 at 7:35 PM, captainzombie said:

I really hope that professional pressers are not relying on CGC grading the books within a short period of time so that the books don't revert back to original form. Like I've mentioned before, I have books that were quick pressed by CCS over 5 years ago and still don't show any signs of reversion. I'll wait until I get the books back before making a judgment. They could just be undergraded like other submissions.

CGC used to price gouge the shipping accounts of people who didn't have Fed-Ex/UPS shipping accounts, charging almost a $100 per 25/30 books which is insane. Now they are charging what they should have 20 years ago. I know my LCS owner said to CGC "People may not mind the increase so much if they got their books back faster"  Said CGC didn't respond to that nor did have an answer and he's had books in economy since last August, and now we are in June. 

On 6/23/2022 at 10:59 PM, skybolt said:

I really hope that professional pressers are not relying on CGC grading the books within a short period of time so that the books don't revert back to original form. Like I've mentioned before, I have books that were quick pressed by CCS over 5 years ago and still don't show any signs of reversion. I'll wait until I get the books back before making a judgment. They could just be undergraded like other submissions.

CGC has 200 elephant foot pounds pressing their books, that's why they don't revert back 

On 6/23/2022 at 10:03 PM, captainzombie said:

I just read the announcement, but I find it odd that they would increase their prices for this. At the end of the day, they are not paying out of their pockets to ship our books back, that comes out of our pockets. For them to negotiate better rates with FedEx, I still don't see how raising prices would need to come into play here with this. All they are doing at the end of the day is what eBay did back in the day by "negotiating" better rates with the carriers but also snipping a piece of the shipping costs from sellers. Just like I would not doubt that they make something from the shipping if someone pays through their site.

At this point if they raise prices, how much is it going to cost us to slab one book now, like over $30 a book. LOL! They will start to chase people away.

Absolutely , this will chase people away. I can't do another price increase.