• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The math of 1 million books in 2 years

52 posts in this topic

I was thinking about CGC's recent landmark of 2 million books graded and thinking even more about the fact that I have heard that 1 million of those books graded were in the past two years. Given those numbers I did some math on how many books graded per day and per hour that equals based on a couple of assumptions.

Now, I don't know CGC's core hours or days of operations so I broke it into two scenarios.

1.) CGC is open five days a week Monday through Friday and closed on six federal holidays (New Years day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas).

That means there are 254 days in the year they have to grade books. Multiplied by two years is 508 days. In this scenario they need to grade ~1,968 books per day!

If they grade books 8 hours a day (9am-5pm) in order to grade 1 million books in two years they need to grade 246 books per hour.

2.) They are open seven days a week and closed on the holidays above.

In this scenario they grade ~1,397 books per day and broken down by hour that is ~175 books per hour.

How many books can an individual grade in one hour? Also, you need at least four graders per book right? Is one book every five minutes reasonable? It is really just a guess but I would assume the checklist of items to go over with each book would take that long.

If so, one person can grade 12 books an hour so for scenario one, they would need 20 people just to cover 246 books and if you need four people per book, you have to multiply that 20 by four to get 80 necessary graders!

In scenario two, they would need 58 graders.

Lots of assumptions but some food for thought. hm

Modern books can be grade by the hundreds in 1 hour ....

I could buy that. Are there any numbers available as to how many books from each era are grade? I assume not, but just wondering.

yes, there is. I know cheetah posted a link to it a few weeks ago but i cant for the life of me remember where hm

lets correct the error

first, CGC graded the first million books back in 2007

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=904&

the one million number that is used so far is the number of slabs exchanged hands in 2010...a GPA data that is something entirely different.

CGC pace for the past 5 years is slightly faster than the first 7 years but in reality, not much if you considered the ramp up and consumer acceptance of CGC in the first few years.

Also, it takes 3 graders right to grade a book. I have never heard of at least 4 graders.

lets correct the error

the one million number that is used so far is the number of slabs exchanged hands in 2010...a GPA data that is something entirely different.

CGC pace for the past 5 years is slightly faster than the first 7 years but in reality, not much if you considered the ramp up and consumer acceptance of CGC in the first few years.

Also, it takes 3 graders right to grade a book. I have never heard of at least 4 graders.

Yup, I was going to correct this.

I initially thought it was 8 years for the 1st MIL and 4-5 years for the 2nd MIL but 7/5 works too. We're almost at 13 years now.

Some books may get a 4th grader opinion but the majority of books get 3 graders.

Okay, so given that link:

2010-2012 - 75,029

2000-2009 - 379,864

1990-1999 - 188,600

1980-1989 - 301,152

1970-1979 - 370,427

1960-1969 - 355,933

1950-1959 - 70,400

1940-1949 - 81,445

1930-1939 - 4,944

1920-1929 - 5

1910-1919 - 6

1901-1909 - 25

1890-1899 - 45

Undated - 1,861

-------------------

1,829,736 (this is less than 2 million?!)

Modern submissions (2000 and up) account for only 25% of all submissions. Now, obviously $75k of those have been submitted in the last two years so that skews some statistics, but still 75% of graded books are copper or older which means that more time is needed for grading I would think.

lets correct the error

Yup, I was going to correct this.

I initially thought it was 8 years for the 1st MIL and 4-5 years for the 2nd MIL but 7/5 works too. We're almost at 13 years now.

Some books may get a 4th grader opinion but the majority of books get 3 graders.

Okay, my mistake. I thought there was always a fourth to review notes and give the final grade.

So, that said if the next million were over five years that dramatically changes the numbers.

So, we are down to ~787 books per day if open 5 days a week and ~559 books per day if open 7 days a week.

That is still ~98 books an hour and ~69 books an hour respectively.

How many graders need to be working to process that amount?

I would LOVE to see the 2000-2009 book that came back a 0.5 PLOD! :wishluck:

What in the hell happened to that book that someone thought it was worthy of submitting but came back a restored 0.5?!? hm

yyyyl1AP0y5.jpg

WOW!!

You're like a magic 8 ball! Ask and you shall receive!

What the hell is the story with that book?!? ???

So, we are down to ~787 books per day if open 5 days a week and ~559 books per day if open 7 days a week.

That is still ~98 books an hour and ~69 books an hour respectively.

How many graders need to be working to process that amount?

I am guessing 2 to 3 teams of 3 each and 1 head guy (P. Litch) to review the tough books and oversea quality/consistency. Throw in Friesen to oversea restoration checks on tough books and there is your team.