• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Complete DC Collection (and not from who you think)!!! Three Cheers!!!

188 posts in this topic

I'm not sure why this is big news. The collector mentioned in the article is not the first person to complete a run of DC Comics. There are several known (and probably several more that are unknown) complete runs of DC comics and in my estimation if and when Ian completes his run, he will probably be seventh or eighth collector to do so. With the advent of the Internet and the growth of the auction house circuit, there are very few Golden Age DC comic books that are difficult to find. Of course, cost is a huge factor today, but back when the aforementioned collector amassed his run of books, cost wasn't nearly as big a factor. Even today, if given the money, a collector could amass the entire line in about a year or two.

Isn't that the point though? This collector claims that he did NOT use the internet. confused-smiley-013.gif

Edit:

Errr... hardly used the internet.

Wow, kudos to that guy for not coming on here and being an [!@#%^&^] in his quest to complete his collection. What a feat. Ian might as well give up now, what's the point. 27_laughing.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm not sure why this is big news. The collector mentioned in the article is not the first person to complete a run of DC Comics. There are several known (and probably several more that are unknown) complete runs of DC comics and in my estimation if and when Ian completes his run, he will probably be seventh or eighth collector to do so. With the advent of the Internet and the growth of the auction house circuit, there are very few Golden Age DC comic books that are difficult to find. Of course, cost is a huge factor today, but back when the aforementioned collector amassed his run of books, cost wasn't nearly as big a factor. Even today, if given the money, a collector could amass the entire line in about a year or two.

Yea, you're right. Any dumbazz with an internet connection could do this. No big deal. insane.gif

my thoughts, exactly - think i'll start mine tomorrow.......... grin.gif

The first thing I noticed about the article was the lack of pronouns. "The Collector" is always referred to by that name only, and never with a "he". That immediately tells you The Collector is female, because otherwise they wouldn't have thought to hide the gender. Because most people assume comic collectors are male, "he" wouldn't be a tell, but "she" would be. That means it has to be the woman that Ian 'intruded' on. Nice for her that she finished the collection. It really is an amazing feat. I hope she feels it was worth it. I also hope she reads some of the books.

-- Joanna

Wow- quite a feat! It is really great to hear that people are still trying to complete whole runs! I couldn't help but notice it seems like Ian is not on the boards right now-what happened?

VZ

He put a want ad disguised as an auction on ebay for the last 4 books he needs. Several Forumites cried foul and reported it. He stormed off in a huff, this time never to return.

Wow- quite a feat! It is really great to hear that people are still trying to complete whole runs! I couldn't help but notice it seems like Ian is not on the boards right now-what happened?

He ran a want list auction, it got pulled because apparently half the forums reported it and once he found that out he took his ball and went home. Very dramatic exit. Darth, the first person to admit doing it, is now his stated "enemy for life."

He ran a want list auction, it got pulled because apparently half the forums reported it and once he found that out he took his ball and went home. Very dramatic exit. Darth, the first person to admit doing it, is now his stated "enemy for life."

Now we dont have to hear his whinning and person_without_enough_empathying

Can you blame him? Did you think he would let such callous and inhuman and purely selfish behaviour just wash over him? NOT THIS TIME PAL.

Can you blame him? Did you think he would let such callous and inhuman and purely selfish behaviour just wash over him? NOT THIS TIME PAL.

Is there a link where he announces he is leaving?

Is there a link where he announces he is leaving?

Very entertaining;

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=533999&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=2&vc=1

This forum, and all the great people in it, are utterly spoiled and ruined by a few evil and vile natured reprobates.

I HAVE HAD ENOUGH NOW.

GOODBYE.

That doesn't sound like he's leaving for good.

Just for awhile. confused-smiley-013.gif

This forum, and all the great people in it, are utterly spoiled and ruined by a few evil and vile natured reprobates.

I HAVE HAD ENOUGH NOW.

GOODBYE.

Lets hope he stays away for good

I HAVE HAD ENOUGH NOW.

GOODBYE.

Yeah,...as soon as he sobers up he'll be back to discredit the article...

Congratulations to "the Collector".

As far as Ian goes, I did not like him coming on the boards and asking collectors to NOT BID on books he wanted. Are their rules against this? As a seller, if I learned my auction was artificially deflated, I would be highly @$$#%.

As a collector, if I saw a holy grail, I would not bow out just because. Among friends, I would, but it is different getting on message boards and spreading the word. I also didn't like him calling "the Collector" when expressly told not too. I would not be cooperative either.

I HAVE HAD ENOUGH NOW.

GOODBYE.

I already SAID that but I have grown coarse, scaly skin on these boards because most folks ignore me. I think scientists need a new number to come up with the number of threads that end with a POV POST.

Am I looking for sympathy? Not at all. I am looking for free comic books - preferably GA books - to make me feel as human as I did before I ever FOUND these accursed boards.

Please send all contributions of GA books to Povertyrow. He is so pitiful I am sure he would qualify as a charitiable tax deduction.